Folding Shovels

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a folding shovel for my bug-out, any suggestions? I like the look/size of the Gerber Gorge but generally hate Gerber products. Actually it's not a BG so maybe it'll be fine. SOG also makes one a little smaller than the military issue trifold shovel, which looks too big/heavy for my needs. This is a shovel for poo holes and Dakota fires. I'm not planning on digging a foxhole or anything.

call me old fashioned,but I bought a shovel with no folding,no nonsense,basically same type Germans had in ww2,as I couldn't find the older model
the Finnish army used before these trifolds came,if I find that older model,all metal,I'll buy it,but I try always to keep it simple,hey I'm a simple guy

I'm in the market for a folding shovel for my bug-out, any suggestions? I like the look/size of the Gerber Gorge but generally hate Gerber products. Actually it's not a BG so maybe it'll be fine. SOG also makes one a little smaller than the military issue trifold shovel, which looks too big/heavy for my needs. This is a shovel for poo holes and Dakota fires. I'm not planning on digging a foxhole or anything.

I use the issued e-tool's and the carrier affixed to the molle's on my pack, I don't find the weight an issue, most of my pits are the Dakota pits, I also have a small heavy duty 12" trowel planting shovel. Really no need for a SOG or Gerber shovel, from what your saying you only need to get a trowel planting shovel.

Looks like a useful shovel.
I noticed that almost all the folding shovels I have had, including the military ones, have that issue with the locking nut.

Doesn't fold though, I'd rather have something inside the pack than strapped to the back, and I really don't see a shovel as a belt-worn item. I don't doubt it's sturdiness as its Cold Steel and they build to last, but I think it's a little big for my needs. Trowel might be the way to go. I saw a video once where a guy had a small stainless steel folding trowel; that's what I need to find.

don't know if they still make it,but Rothco seems to have something small and foldable..height 10 inches when folded;mini pick and shovel with cover

Most of the rothco's are trifolds and telescoping shovels, same failure problems, though they do have a folding trowel, same design as various brands and none of them held up to heavy use.

Clipboard01.jpg

This part of the country can be a little rough and the mil issue trifold etool (Ames 74) hasn't let me down (yet) though for years I have carried the WWII issued etool M43 straight handle not the t-handle design here and prefer it's design over any folding shovel.

Last edited:
Most of the rothco's are trifolds and telescoping shovels, same failure problems, though they do have a folding trowel, same design as various brands and none of them held up to heavy use.

View attachment 4139

That's the exact one I was looking for. Again, not looking for heavy use persay. My bug-out is not an extended-stay scenario, and I know enough basic bushcraft to make some basic renewable tools if the need does arise. I haven't made a spade or shovel yet persay but I feel confident I could come up with something fairly easily. My bug-out bag is designed for 3 days maximum, and my get-home is for a pretty short journey so I might need to dig one toilet hole, tops. I feel both bags would benefit from the above product but I do take all of yalls opinions into consideration; that's why I joined this forum.

I do have a very heavy duty tri-fold shovel in my emergency roadside kit, I guess for snow? The irony is I live in Texas; we've had snow but never near enough to mess with vehicles. Everyone forgets how to drive all of a sudden when the weather turns but that's another story for you.

I like my SOG one personally. Very solid feel to it. Came with a nice knife too.

Being a surplus fan I have a West German tri fold in its flectarn holder the same as U.S but od green on a West German flectarn combat vest , A U.S trifold on a U.S woodland load carrying set , A East German single fold on a set of East German combat suspenders . I have a Danish single fold I keep in my car .

Latest posts

Back