Folding Shovels

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a folding shovel for my bug-out, any suggestions? I like the look/size of the Gerber Gorge but generally hate Gerber products. Actually it's not a BG so maybe it'll be fine. SOG also makes one a little smaller than the military issue trifold shovel, which looks too big/heavy for my needs. This is a shovel for poo holes and Dakota fires. I'm not planning on digging a foxhole or anything.

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
call me old fashioned,but I bought a shovel with no folding,no nonsense,basically same type Germans had in ww2,as I couldn't find the older model
the Finnish army used before these trifolds came,if I find that older model,all metal,I'll buy it,but I try always to keep it simple,hey I'm a simple guy

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I'm in the market for a folding shovel for my bug-out, any suggestions? I like the look/size of the Gerber Gorge but generally hate Gerber products. Actually it's not a BG so maybe it'll be fine. SOG also makes one a little smaller than the military issue trifold shovel, which looks too big/heavy for my needs. This is a shovel for poo holes and Dakota fires. I'm not planning on digging a foxhole or anything.
I use the issued e-tool's and the carrier affixed to the molle's on my pack, I don't find the weight an issue, most of my pits are the Dakota pits, I also have a small heavy duty 12" trowel planting shovel. Really no need for a SOG or Gerber shovel, from what your saying you only need to get a trowel planting shovel.

Texas Patriot

Reaction score
Looks like a useful shovel.
I noticed that almost all the folding shovels I have had, including the military ones, have that issue with the locking nut.

Reaction score
Doesn't fold though, I'd rather have something inside the pack than strapped to the back, and I really don't see a shovel as a belt-worn item. I don't doubt it's sturdiness as its Cold Steel and they build to last, but I think it's a little big for my needs. Trowel might be the way to go. I saw a video once where a guy had a small stainless steel folding trowel; that's what I need to find.

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
don't know if they still make it,but Rothco seems to have something small and foldable..height 10 inches when folded;mini pick and shovel with cover

Maverick

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Most of the rothco's are trifolds and telescoping shovels, same failure problems, though they do have a folding trowel, same design as various brands and none of them held up to heavy use.

Clipboard01.jpg

This part of the country can be a little rough and the mil issue trifold etool (Ames 74) hasn't let me down (yet) though for years I have carried the WWII issued etool M43 straight handle not the t-handle design here and prefer it's design over any folding shovel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Most of the rothco's are trifolds and telescoping shovels, same failure problems, though they do have a folding trowel, same design as various brands and none of them held up to heavy use.

View attachment 4139
That's the exact one I was looking for. Again, not looking for heavy use persay. My bug-out is not an extended-stay scenario, and I know enough basic bushcraft to make some basic renewable tools if the need does arise. I haven't made a spade or shovel yet persay but I feel confident I could come up with something fairly easily. My bug-out bag is designed for 3 days maximum, and my get-home is for a pretty short journey so I might need to dig one toilet hole, tops. I feel both bags would benefit from the above product but I do take all of yalls opinions into consideration; that's why I joined this forum.

I do have a very heavy duty tri-fold shovel in my emergency roadside kit, I guess for snow? The irony is I live in Texas; we've had snow but never near enough to mess with vehicles. Everyone forgets how to drive all of a sudden when the weather turns but that's another story for you.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I like my SOG one personally. Very solid feel to it. Came with a nice knife too.

psalm 7

God Like
Reaction score
Being a surplus fan I have a West German tri fold in its flectarn holder the same as U.S but od green on a West German flectarn combat vest , A U.S trifold on a U.S woodland load carrying set , A East German single fold on a set of East German combat suspenders . I have a Danish single fold I keep in my car .