Folders

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C6273C75-B52C-4C90-BC69-F68C90B78533.jpeg
So I just picked up the cold steel Luzon. Super inexpensive and nice. It’s a liner lock but there’s a fair back up lock on it. I’m gonna use it as my new abuse knife. They sell a 6 inch and a 4. Mines the 4. Really liking it so far.

I understand the attraction to case knives. They are a well made quality knife. I just never was a fan of the old timer look. I’m boring like that.
Well I guess the "old timer" look fits me pretty good. The majority of my folders are Case, with either bone, stag or wood scales. I have some mammoth ivory pieces that someday I'll have a knife maker make some scales and handles for a few of my knives.
I also have a few German made knives that I like too, just not as much as my Case knives.
I've never much cared for what I call the "new age" knives. That is until I saw the one that you posted above. I like the looks of it and may have to get one for myself.

Lol it’s not the highest quality metal wise but it’s heat treated right so there’s that. It’s the equivalent to Japanese AUS 8a which is a good stainless steel. 8CR13MOV is the steel.

Lol. Ya I love that freaken knife!! I carry it everywhere. However I’m really liking this new Luzon. It’s holding up to my abuse so far. Lol. My vaquero is a defense only blade so I literally use it for nothing but flesh.

Lol it’s not the highest quality metal wise but it’s heat treated right so there’s that. It’s the equivalent to Japanese AUS 8a which is a good stainless steel. 8CR13MOV is the steel.

I've been researching steels since I got back into knifemaking. The one that has been overlooked previously but is making many converts in the knifemaking world now is AEB-L. It's actually been around for a long time - it was developed for making stainless steel razor blades. But for a long time it wasn't available to individuals and then only thin billets were available. But now it's widely available and inexpensive. It is the toughest stainless steel and will quickly take a very keen edge - well duh! it was designed for razor blades... It is THE toughest at 58 Rockwell, but it's still one of the toughest steels at 63 Rockwell, and it is easy to polish to a mirror finish. I think it would make a great folder.

Sandvik 13C36 is a copy of AEB-L. They made an "improved" version called 14C28N that has nitrogen added. It has better corrosion resistance and higher hardness potential, but it's unobtanium for the average Joe like me. Kershaw uses 14C28N in some of their high end knives.

Another improved AEB-L is Nitro-V by New Jersey Steel Barons. Similar to 14C28N it has nitrogen added and is considered so corrosion resistant it can be used in dive knives. And similar to 14C28N it is unobtainium for the average Joe.

Commercially, AEB-L is primarily used in kitchen knives because for a long time it was only available in thicknesses up to 1/8" which is a bit thin for bushcraft and skinning knives. That has changed now, and I've got some 3/16" AEB-L on order that I'm going to use for making skinners for my brothers in law. Price of the steel per knive is less than $8, which makes it an incredible bargain (so called "super steels" can run over $50 per knife)

High end stainless Damascus uses AEB-L.

And the 8CR13MOV? It is considered a good all around steel with no glaring weaknesses and a fantastic bargain, BUT... For the average Joe, it is also unobtanium. Apparently you have to buy it in bulk from China. I haven't found a supplier in the US where you can order just one billet.

The 9CR series (9Cr13MoVCo, 9Cr14MoV, 9Cr18MoV, 9Cr19MoV) are the high end Chinese bargain steels with increased carbon, cobalt and vanadium). Also unobtanium for the average Joe.

Latest posts

Back