Flour Tortillas

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuietH3art

Reaction score
I have been wanting to try making tortillas for awhile and do not know what the delay was. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and made some (pictured below). Then I scrambled some eggs, added a slice of cheese and had a very yummy breakfast burrito. I made a few thicker than others for more "substance" and they turned out fine, as well.

You can substitute butter for lard and I suspect this would also be good with perhaps some parsley or other herbs sprinkled in before frying.

And this goes really quick so do NOT take your eyes off the pan. Don't put oil in the pan either - dry fry it.

This recipe can be halved or doubled.

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons lard
1 1/2 cups water

Directions

1.Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
2.Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side. Place the cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer; continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.

Attachments

• tortillas.jpg
    tortillas.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 8
  • burrito.jpg
    burrito.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 7
I split the flour parts into 50% whole grain gmo free flour and 50% gmo free corn flour.

Delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

When I get a surplus of eggs in the summer, I love to make breakfast burritos for the freezer during those winter months when they are not laying so plentiful and if your making them, it doesn't take that much more effort to make up a bunch on the days you can. I will cook up some bulk sausage with some shredded hash browns, sautéed onion, green peppers, a little garlic then add in my scrambled eggs. Once those are done, throw in some green onions and some cheese. I have also used ham or bacon, whatever I have extra on hand or even without meat. Once rolled in tortilla, I place in a gallon freezer bag and throw it in. I know some mornings are a rush. . . . it makes a quick reheat in the microwave for those days. And tortillas are so versatile and not just for breakfast.

I love flour tortillas. I eat them with just about anything. I'd rather have a tortilla with a meal than a yeast roll or biscuit most of the time. Good thing since yeast-bread making just isn't my forte.

Does the altitude have something to do with yeast? I have only lived at sea-level basically, so not sure. I remember making a cake years ago at my grandmothers and it seemed like I was supposed to have increased the oil? Really can't remember 35 plus years ago. At the time, it sounded like it should have been a common knowledge thing, but I didn't know it

Oh and I like the fact that allrecipes gives a five star rating and people can rate/comment on it before you try it

I suspect it may be a combination of altitude and humidity here because I used to be able to make very good bread. And I'm pretty sure I'm at sea level here since I'm only 20 minutes from the ocean.
My biggest issue with anything nowadays is reading the ingredients list and finding all kinds of scientific names in it that are probably preservatives and other chemicals that I really don't want in my body. I check the ingredients list on every product I buy at the grocery store now. I went today with intentions of spending at least $100 on foods to last the next 2 weeks. Instead, I was so disgusted by the labels that I only spent $24.00. My garden really needs to finish growing and give me something good to eat.

OK you inspired me. . . and I needed to use up some eggs, so I made 3 dozen worth and threw in the freezer

OK you inspired me. . . and I needed to use up some eggs, so I made 3 dozen worth and threw in the freezer
Oh, I wish I had the problem with too many eggs. I would be pickling them so fast. Unfortunately, I still have only 1 chicken laying and she only gives me 4 eggs a week. The Pioneer and Buckeye hens haven't started laying yet even though they are 7 months old now. The rest of my chicks are only 2 and 3 months old. I just read something interesting. Adding red pepper flakes (like you put on top of pizza) to your chickens feed can increase egg production. Guess who's putting pepper flakes in chicken food from now on!!

Oh, I wish I had the problem with too many eggs. I would be pickling them so fast. Unfortunately, I still have only 1 chicken laying and she only gives me 4 eggs a week. The Pioneer and Buckeye hens haven't started laying yet even though they are 7 months old now. The rest of my chicks are only 2 and 3 months old. I just read something interesting. Adding red pepper flakes (like you put on top of pizza) to your chickens feed can increase egg production. Guess who's putting pepper flakes in chicken food from now on!!
Using red pepper flakes or even cayenne (which is what I have used cause it's cheaper) is a natural de-wormer, but not sure if it actually increases production. Some say yes and some say no. I have heard some say that it gives young layers a boot to start so you never know. When we started out, we just let the eggs come when they came. Not sure about your P & B's, but most will lay the majority of eggs at 6 -18 months. As the hen gets older, the larger the eggs, but at a less rate. Most hens will take one day off a week, sometimes two, but you should get at least 1 egg a day when they do lay. An older hen will just start laying less and less.

I've done as much research as I can on how many eggs I can expect from each breed. It's no wonder the Buckeyes are endangered as they only lay about 50-75 eggs in their lifetime! But she's a really pretty chicken and at this point it isn't costing me anything to keep her. I can't find any information on the Pioneer chickens. Can't wait for my Rhode Island Reds to grow up. I sold the Wyandotte and the Black Maran because they just don't "match" all my red chickens here... lol. I still have the Cochin and she's still up for sale. Then I have one tiny runt chick. They were all the same size and color when I bought them but this one has hardly grown at all. It still fits between the bars of the fencing I have around them. And that little bugger ate the lower leaves off all my pepper plants before I moved them far enough away.

lol!! I have the Rhode Island Reds, Golden Sex link and Black Sex link. I used to have Delaware's and it was something else. . . laid green eggs but cant remember the name of it. Had a possum totally wipe out my first flock and they were in a coop.

Good idea. Once my hens start laying, I've now got a good plan for excess eggs!

Latest posts

Back