Flooding

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
Seeing the devastation in SC has really made me think. There are tens of thousands with no power or water right now. Prepping for a flood up to your roof line would be almost impossible. Lots of people there didn't even live in a flood zone. So far eleven dams have failed, with several being watched still. My heart goes out for them. I am going to get some sort of heavy, sealable bags to store some of my preps in shortly. Even thought my house is high, I hadn't considered any dams failing. We do have loads of resevours here in the mountains, built back during the depression. Even if your just bugging out, having weather proof gear for your bug out bag would help protect the stuff in it.

this got me to thinking about damns in my area.im still searching.but yet,i still havent found one that'd pose a problem,much less a threat if it should give way...

I pretty much have anything that would be damaged by water, in a ziploc bag in my pack, or some other waterproof container. Simply because there's a good chance I'll have to swim from support to support under the bridge for about 6 miles. (though toying with the idea of putting a small inflatable ring in the pack, that could be used to float it).... I also have spare ziploc bags in there, for anything I didn't think of.

We do have enough sandbags to put in front of any exterior doors, but that's it so far. I actually want to get a lot more to have on standby though. We're in a pretty high and dry area, though we have had water threaten the shop door if we get really bad rain for a LONG time like during a tropical system moving through.

My soon to be built house is high enough up in the mountains that flooding wont be an issue. However, there several streams, most of which are dry for most of the year and in culverts or have bridges that could wash out in a wet year. Also there are a few places on my driveway that have dry creek beds to cross that could pose a problem during heavy rain or rapidly melting snow. We normally keep a several day supply of food and other items in our vehicles winter bag.

I pretty much have anything that would be damaged by water, in a ziploc bag in my pack, or some other waterproof container. Simply because there's a good chance I'll have to swim from support to support under the bridge for about 6 miles. (though toying with the idea of putting a small inflatable ring in the pack, that could be used to float it).... I also have spare ziploc bags in there, for anything I didn't think of.

We do have enough sandbags to put in front of any exterior doors, but that's it so far. I actually want to get a lot more to have on standby though. We're in a pretty high and dry area, though we have had water threaten the shop door if we get really bad rain for a LONG time like during a tropical system moving through.
I'm at about 1100 ft above sea level, so if I flood here, you're in deep do do. It seems to me that more people drown when in their car than when touching it out where they are. I guess for those non preppers though, staying put without provisions would suck after a couple days.

I never understood the folks who drive through flood waters. I mean, just where is so important that you need to go that you can risk losing your vehicle?

or your life...i have 2 choices in which i can go,when i leave home.and i have a low area and a creek to worry about in both directions.except for the rainy season.one creek normally dont have water in it.the other is spring fed by a underground spring.i've never had to worry about either creek flooding to the point where i cant cross the bridges.if i figure they might be flooded.matter of fact.the water leavl never once got half way up the drain pipes,that go under the bridges...but yet.i'll walk to the bridges first,.and if the water flowing across the road,so much looks like it might be to deep.i wont be going any further in any kind of way what so ever.and that includes a vehicle as well...

See those mudslides in CA? Nothing you can do there but get the hell out....
Time to call your insurance co and get a new car. I wouldn't want mine back after that. Even the semis were up to the hood in muck. I'm really surprised no one died in that. Sure glad I wasn't on the road then.

My propert adjoins Corps of Engineers property on a flood control lake. My property is 300 ft from the water and it has made it half way up to our property. It certainly makes you assess your options. Our road dead ends at the boat ramp so we have one way in and one way out.

yeah.i hear about folks that do that with their gps,time to time..heard of one woman and daughter who ended up in the mountains,instead of staying on the hwy..:confused: go figure.and i've heard of ppl who turn folded maps ever which way,on acount they cant read them..

heard of one woman who drove into a flooded ford because, again, her sat nav told her to go that way, her husband-in the passenger seat- was swept away and drowned, she had to be rescued from the flooded car herself.
I will never have or drive in a car with one of those things in it.

I had one of the early versions of garmin gps. On a trip to Atlanta once it kept telling me to turn right to leave the highway and take 90miles of back roads. Piece of crap!
I just got a phone three days ago though, as it works with my hearing aids (yeah), and just used google maps to find an address. It was flawless. I still wouldn't let it override my common sense, but it's a great tool.

Latest posts

Back