Floating water candle

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldways

Admin
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you have used a floating water candle?
After the April 27th 2011 multiple tornadoes came through where I was living we were without power for 6 days. The whole area was out of power. After a couple of days a few grocery stores had large generators so we could get some things, but it was DARK.

One of the things I have around for power outages is a floating candle. Actually it was a wick sticks in floats in a plastic molded 'float'. It floats on cooking oil.
You put water in a glass or bowl, pour on some oil, float the candle wick then light it. It will burn until the oil is burned up. I like it as if it tips over, it goes out and is not a fire hazard.

During the 6 days of Dark I used one in a shallow bowl in the sitting in the bathroom sink, and one in the kitchen sink overnight. These were my nightlights.

I was thinking if you've not tried it you may want to have some on hand. They could be used anywhere, and are used with cooking oil you may have on hand, and take up almost no extra room. And they are VERY cost effective.

1593748383219.png

You can see them here.

where did you get them?
my own quick search directed me to those "regular" candles that float,which you have at fancy dinner partys

where did you get them?
my own quick search directed me to those "regular" candles that float,which you have at fancy dinner partys
Click on Here in that last line. It connects to them on Amazon. Cost about $6

Pretty cool idea. Nice mood enhancers too. I have two generators, loads of candles, solar setup lanterns with extra oil and wicks, flashlights and may get some of these. Iā€™m beginning to think Iā€™m afraid of the dark!

It is necessary to buy a special candle for this purpose? Sounds like something that could be self made.

The waxed wicks are in the package. The are about 1 inch long and stiff with a waxlike coating. Then the floats.
I think you could make them yourself with soda cans flattened and cut with tin snips and a poke in the middle for a stiff waxed wick string.

I went looking and this is so cheap and easy looking. (excuse the ad, but it's on the youtube)

Latest posts

Back