Flashlights!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used my fenix e21 in all kinds of tactical and security situations it has never failed me. I got 2 on amazon for 55.00 including shipping but that was 2 years ago. They've become much more popular now. The e21 is the perfect balance of performance and simplicity. It also mounts well to most rifles including my 10/22

I've used my fenix e21 in all kinds of tactical and security situations it has never failed me. I got 2 on amazon for 55.00 including shipping but that was 2 years ago. They've become much more popular now. The e21 is the perfect balance of performance and simplicity. It also mounts well to most rifles including my 10/22

How is the battery life ? I have a Surefire but it eats up batteries like crazy. So it just sits in the 3 day bag.

If you set it for its low setting you get a realistic 10 hours. On the high about 2 but when it gets close to low battery it switches to low lite. Usually after about 2 hours straight use on high.

Yes, difinately get flashlights that run on standard batteries or else you'll be having to have and make use of solar cells. I have solar but right now it's connected to the main junction box which puts back energy to keep the bill low. Soon i'll be disconnecting it from PG&E's stuff to use in other projects in the shelter.
I've been stocked up on batteries for almost 2 years now. 3 rubbermaid containers, 1 for C's and D's, 1 for AA and AAA's and 9v's and one for CR123's and specialty batteries for all my handheld radios, FRS and ham. I just keep having to rotate through them when I use any and keep them labeled so I don't miss any. So far keeping them in the shelter under ground keeps them cool enough. They are energizers and seem to be as fresh out of the package as if I just purchased them. Soon I need to make another large purchase of all sizes. Wal-mart here where I live is cool about making special orders of just about anything I need and I offered to pay up front for the order and they call my cel when the order comes in. Sure beats having to go to many stores to get all I need.

I posted my flashlights already here but had issues with the host.
Here they are again from left to right................showing brightness and size.
Flashlights01_zpsb744d439.jpg

Flashlights02_zps75997e51.jpg

Flashlights03_zps2f80c5fc.jpg

far left to right in lumens is 490 lumens / 3 x C's LED, 590 lumens / 3 x D's LED, 180 lumens / 6 x AA's LED, 1600 lumens / 2 x 18650's LED, 55 lumens / 2 x CR123's LED, 65 lumens / 3 x AAA's Ultra Violet LED and last is Surefire 6P Halogen at 120 lumens. The first 3 lights use CREE T-3's LED's, the 1600 lumen light has CREE T-6 LED.
The 590 lumen light is bright enough to light up the trees on a hill that is 1.2 miles away from my house, so is the 490 lumen light. The 1600 lumen light does this as well very easily but it is zoomable. With it in long throw spot mode it is extremely bright and zoomed (wide beam) it lights up several trees at 1.2 miles away. this light was purchased from goldengadgets at $19.95 plus shipping totalling $27. It has low, med, high, strobe and great is the programmed SOS mode which is dit dit dit - daa daa daa - dit dit dit.......morse code, 3 short, 3 long and 3 short for SOS. You don't have to press the buttom but once and it does the signalling for you. Great if your lost and hurt. all pilots know this signal.
The low setting on the 1600 lumen light is my guess about 450-500 lumens and on high (1600 lumens) I can stand at the top of my driveway pointing down at my house and it lights up the house plus 60 feet on each side with it in zoomed mode and i'm 120 feet away from the house.
They have other lights all the way up to 5000 lumens for around $80-$120.
I have to get a brighter one still.
The ultra violet LED light was purchased at homedepot for about $20.
and I thought my surefire for my shotgun was bright. The 1600 lumen light is 1 inch and will fit my gun mounts.

Besides those 7 the others are as well OK but i'll need to add something brighter, much brighter.
I went to youtube and searched for "high power LED, HID, flashlights, spotlights, videos". It came up with an amazing amount of videos showing many different types. HID's and LED's from a few bucks all the way to just under $2000 for military LED HID's of over 5000 lumens.
Two lights that really stood out were the "Polarion Dual Abyss U2 Xenon HID Searchlight". 12 inches long and 5000 or so lumens. The other was an Olight X6 Marauder flashlight also 5000 lumens.
I think there are lights out there that will work for anyone and any situation. My searches are to find the smallest and brightest tactical types as well as ones that use standard type batteries. I have a huge storage of batteries in all sizes and with this light it's just add new batteries instead of hoping that I may have power to charge rechargeables and thats not a for-sure thing.
This small but powerful light below should be my next light. It's small, 860 lumens and it uses 4 "AA" batteries and it's $65.............i can handle that.
Nightcore_EA4_zpsf2f30c79.jpg

Compared to my 590 lumen flashlight, 860 lumens in that size will be nice.

We'll see which other light is worthy for my collection........but keep it quite, the lady in my life will flip if I get another flashlight.

HEy guys have any of you thought about a wind up torch handy if yu cant get hold of batteries. not expensive and ten minutes winding gives abou twenty minutes light

hey quinn, sure have, as a back up when no batteries are left and also there are several solar powered which a few of those actually put out some good light.

I finally ordered the Nitecore EA4. I like it's small size, it's use of standard AA's and it's high mode of 860 lumens. It uses the same LED as the second from the left LED light pictured above. That one is 590 lumens and illuminates trees on a hill 1.2 miles away from my house. Of course it has a long throw tight beam so all that 590 lumens is concentrated in a small area, and it uses 3 standard D batteries.
This EA4 from Nitecore should be great as it has also a tight beam pattern and I think great for a B.O.B.
The 4th light from the left, the Uniquefire UF-Z5, the brightest is 1600 lumens. It is zoomable meaning you can have a tight beam pattern or zoomed will have a huge wide pattern maybe from 40 degrees on your left to 40 degrees to your right and illuminates everything quite well out to around 200-250 yards. Remember the 40 degrees left to right of the light, now add the distance out to 200 or so yards and you get a pattern and coverage that allows you to identify many targets all at once that are spread out far to your left and right. It's 1600 lumens is spread out over this 40 degrees left/right pattern and in the tight beam it does shoot quite far but it does have a square looking pattern that actually looks like the circuit board the LED is mounted to. I didn't think I would like this zoomed mode much but after using it up at 8500 feet in the forest at 2 am it covers very well everything in front of you as well as both sides almost at 45 degrees left to right from the light. I am happy with the Uniquefire and it was only $27 with tax and shipping.
This Nitecore EA4 should be in hand by next tuesday and i'll be heading once again up to the sierra's after midnight to test it out with some pics and maybe a short vid.
I'd like to share my results on this one because I think it would be a great addition to a bugoutbag simply because it's size, use of standard batteries and lumens. I hope it passes and will make a great "pocket" light.
more to come on the Nitecore EA4..............

Here are 3 pics of the UniqueFire 1600 lumen light showing the wide zoomed mode.........
UniqueFire_wide_zps7c0275de.jpg

The spot mode at about 25 feet..........
UniqueFire_spot_close_zps4ea19a56.jpg

and the spot mode on a pine tree up at 70 feet.........
UniqueFire_spot_zpsc1da48e7.jpg

It may be hard to judge the brightness and distance but it does a very good job. along with the zoomed spot and wide modes in low, medium and high it offers the strobe mode and the automated "SOS" mode which if your injured with limited functionality in a forested area all you need to do is push the button to on then lightly tap the button 4 more times to the SOS mode and the light will automatically flash the SOS for you, with it zoomed to spot or wide. As much air traffic we have these days it shouldn't be long before a pilot who will most likely know what he is seeing spots the signal. Could be a life saver.
I give this light a good rating at the price and because it fits several types of situations that require various modes of operation. The batteries at the time already had about 3 hours of operating time on them so it isn't at full brightness.

I hope the pics have good visability........

i have 2 hand held that use's 3aaa batteries in which one has a magnet on it.a head lamp that use's 3aaa batteries and 1 hand held that use's 2d batteriesall LED lights.and all of the batteries are rechargeable.and i do keep um charged.pluse i bought 2 rechargeable flash lights for my mom.all we gottta do with them to charge um up is plug um into a electric outlet.but what i need to get around to buying some thaat'll recharge by the way of solar power

jimLE, just have to get yourself a solar system that converts to 110AC. Easy to find and setup.
I myself have been leaning towards standard batteries as when tshf i'll most likely be leaving the HQ. In my stash locations there are mucho batteries of all types. I don't want to rely on anything I have to plug in. Just grab new batteries and go.
check goldengadgets.com (NOT ADVERTISING) , they have a special on thier site for a 45 watt solar setup and they carry all the other items you'd need to convert to 110ac household current.
Many other sites also have everything you will need and you can find various books "how-to's" or "solar DIY's" that will give you the right education for solar applications. If your not bugging out then solar would be something to consider.

I finally recieved the Nitecore EA4. I won't put up any pictures because most did not come out right. I will say that this light is awesome for it's size. It's pictured above.
It has very low, low, med and high with partial pushes on the button. With a full push "click" of the button you get a full 860 lumens. The partial push is kinda like a shutter button on a camera. When the light is on in any brightness two quick full pushes of the button gives you the "strobe" mode at 860 lumens, a full push and holding for more than 1 second goes to "SOS" mode which is programmed for you, - - - / --- --- --- / - - -, 3 short, 3 long and 3 short again flashes. Another full push and hold over 1 second gives you the"Beacon" mode at 860 lumens. This mode is crazy. Standing about 20 feet from the garage door while looking at it when the thing beacons? wow, it burns your retna which stays for a few minutes. Thats looking at the garage door, not into the light.
I gave this light 5 stars. It's small size, light weight, available modes which are very useful for many applications, it's power of 860 lumens and last is it uses standard "AA" batteries. Having been an EMT since 1994 and FF i have carried many different lights. That one was good for SAR, this one is good for medical calls in a home. some are great for fires or great on vehicle crashes but this light covers just about any of them because of it's many modes and brightness settings. comes with a great quality belt holster and as much as I prep with batteries i'm sure i'll be using this light in 2016 if SHTF today.
I paid $60 for it and for me it was well worth it.

my mom has 2 combination.flash light siren am/fm radios..guess i need to check n see if thier still useable or not.

Latest posts

Back