Helpful Info. First Time Homesteader, a good read for those considering a BOL

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
This is a read that I found interesting when I first started thinking of a BOL, while it is not all encompassing and possibly one day, I will sit down and really write my thoughts and things that I've learned about land buying and building a BOL...its a good short read.

Attachments

• The First Time Homesteader by Ken Davidson.pdf
    14.2 KB · Views: 44
I love some of your downloads. . . Haven't been on lately so trying to catch up! Got a visit from grandbaby today, hard to believe 6 months is right around the corner.

This is a read that I found interesting when I first started thinking of a BOL, while it is not all encompassing and possibly one day, I will sit down and really write my thoughts and things that I've learned about land buying and building a BOL...its a good short read.
Good read. We just moved to our BOL this spring. We bought a few hundred acres several years ago and planed to move when the time was right. Last year we decided that with everything going on in the world it was time to make the move. Next week the pump will be installed in the well and the barn construction will start the week after. We have a small cabin to live in temporarily until we build the house next year.

Good read. We just moved to our BOL this spring. We bought a few hundred acres several years ago and planed to move when the time was right. Last year we decided that with everything going on in the world it was time to make the move. Next week the pump will be installed in the well and the barn construction will start the week after. We have a small cabin to live in temporarily until we build the house next year.

Greetings Arcticdude,

It sounds like you have the right mindset on how to grow your home and BOL. PM me, I don't want to air my issues in front of the world to see, but I will share my own experiences and concerns. I wish you all the success!

Greetings Arcticdude,

It sounds like you have the right mindset on how to grow your home and BOL. PM me, I don't want to air my issues in front of the world to see, but I will share my own experiences and concerns. I wish you all the success!
Will do. I'm heading up now to work on the fence. Just another half mile to go!

Way too many people have unrealistic ideas when it comes to homesteading, it's not a 5 day week 9-5 job, homesteading is like ranching and farming, it takes absolute dedication. Many things can be bartered but cold hard cash is still going to be needed and a means to replenish it. I know several homesteaders that started young but continued to work and some that started in at middle age but purchased much of what they needed years before, today one works a part time job and the other works full time homesteading until they do retire.

If one chooses to have a well, pay yourselves the water bill. We put $100 a month away for well repair, filtration and re-drilling, in the well coffer we keep $12,000 (it took a few years to build this up) available using as much rain water as in keeping as few hours as possible off the pumps. If one are lucky you can also find static wells thus all you would need is a pitcher pump. Years ago I had a state hydrologist come out on the property and marked on my USGS map the best locations for drilling, the service was free not just in this state but many others though not sure if they still are today?

Better yet drill a deep well into a confined aquifer like we did. More money up front, but no pump necessary as most confined aquifers have enough pressure to have a flowing artesian well. Then you aren't dependent on power to get water...ever... And you can even generate electricity with a hydraulic generator.

And...confined deep aquifers are much more protected from ground water contamination.

Better yet drill a deep well into a confined aquifer like we did. More money up front, but no pump necessary as most confined aquifers have enough pressure to have a flowing artesian well. Then you aren't dependent on power to get water...ever... And you can even generate electricity with a hydraulic generator.

And...confined deep aquifers are much more protected from ground water contamination.

Doc, aren't confined aquifers very dependent on local surface water for the recharge thus you wouldn't want to be caught in a long term dry spell?

I guess it depends on where the well is Mav. I'm no expert on wells, but I think ours will never go dry. The well is 1600 ft deep, the aquifer is extremely extensive and the water comes from a long way away. Look up Mississippi embayment aquifer system.
ext_embay.gif

I guess it depends on where the well is Mav. I'm no expert on wells, but I think ours will never go dry. The well is 1600 ft deep, the aquifer is extremely extensive and the water comes from a long way away. Look up Mississippi embayment aquifer system.
ext_embay.gif

I talked to my nephew who is a driller, I had it backwards, he said it was one of the best wells you can get drilled.

Latest posts

Back