First successful use of box trap outside.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin L

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I was never into trapping or hunting when I was a kid (except with a camera), so I've started late in life.

I successfully trapped an oppossum today with a Havahart style trap . . . when I was trying to get rats.

I let it go uninjured, but it's good to know that I can supplement my protein if I have to.
20211106_181043.jpg
20211106_181036.jpg
20211106_181039.jpg
20211106_181032.jpg
20211106_181039.jpg
20211106_181038.jpg

It's my understanding that they're good to have around, as they eat slugs and other pests, and that they prevent disease by scavenging carrion.

I've also heard that they are--supposedly--resistant (but not immune) to rabies.

I have heard that people eat them.

Do they taste like chicken?

Hi guys.

I was never into trapping or hunting when I was a kid (except with a camera), so I've started late in life.

I successfully trapped an oppossum today with a Havahart style trap . . . when I was trying to get rats.

I let it go uninjured, but it's good to know that I can supplement my protein if I have to.View attachment 14062View attachment 14063View attachment 14066View attachment 14064View attachment 14066View attachment 14065

It's my understanding that they're good to have around, as they eat slugs and other pests, and that they prevent disease by scavenging carrion.

I've also heard that they are--supposedly--resistant (but not immune) to rabies.

Hi guys.

I let it go uninjured, but it's good to know that I can supplement my protein if I have to.View attachment 14062View attachment 14063View attachment 14066View attachment 14064View attachment 14066View attachment 14065

They have nice fur too. Just right right now it isn't worth much, dollar wise.
I've heard that they will dig holes in your yard looking for worms and grubs, other than that they are pretty harmless.
I've got a couple live traps out for coon right now. My granddaughter really wants a pet coon. She got to play with one this summer and now grandpa needs to catch a male and female coon so that she can get a baby one.

They have nice fur too. Just right right now it isn't worth much, dollar wise.
I've heard that they will dig holes in your yard looking for worms and grubs, other than that they are pretty harmless.
I've got a couple live traps out for coon right now. My granddaughter really wants a pet coon. She got to play with one this summer and now grandpa needs to catch a male and female coon so that she can get a baby one.
I've known several people with pet raccoons.

They are very intelligent, the have hands, and they will get into trouble and destroy the house if you turn your back on them.

They can open doors, they can unscrew lids, and they will pull open drawers.

They even use tools.

This is a video of a raccoon banging a sliding glass door with a rock demanding breakfast from the idiot who acclimated it into associating people with food.

I had a dog that would go over to the next door neighbor's house every day at suppertime and bang on a certain spot on their carport door with his paw, which would spring the lock and make the door swing open. Their dinner table was just inside that door.
They would then throw him a biscuit, it was like a daily ritual. They called him the "Biscuit Hound." LOL

I've heard that opossums eat ticks. I've also heard that guinea hens make it a project to eat ticks.

I wonder if it's possible to catch tick-bourne diseases by killing, cleaning, and eating these kinds of animals.

I guess I just need to make sure that such animals are completely cooked.

I had a dog that would go over to the next door neighbor's house every day at suppertime and bang on a certain spot on their carport door with his paw, which would spring the lock and make the door swing open. Their dinner table was just inside that door.
They would then throw him a biscuit, it was like a daily ritual. They called him the "Biscuit Hound." LOL
Our dogs are able to open doors that have the lever handle.
Every morning my husband opens the shop garage door and they let themselves out of the woodshop area that is attached to the other part of the shop. They are slow to come out when its wet and rainy, but they love the snow!

Our herd of guineas run around our farm, and I didn't see any ticks on the dogs or us this summer.
The possum looks like a big nasty rat to me. Ugh.
We have plenty of them. They eat the dry food I put out for the barn cats.

Our herd of guineas run around our farm, and I didn't see any ticks on the dogs or us this summer.
The possum looks like a big nasty rat to me. Ugh.
We have plenty of them. They eat the dry food I put out for the barn cats.
I call the flock of turkeys that come through my yard daily, the tic patrol. I don’t see too many possums cause of it. I do occasionally see them on my drive down.

Latest posts

Back