First Aid Kit

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yall should also think about hooking a peice of 550 cord to the back of your kit or to your belt (also attached to a carabiner) so when a person is hit they can throw their carabiner to a nonwounded person and they can attach it to their belt so they can run the oposite way and pull the wounded comrade out of harms way. Just a little thing for consideration (Ive seen it work in Afghanistan)

I have the small first aid kits for bug out bags but I also have a trauma kit that slowly grows each month. I tend to over stock on antiseptics and antibiotics though lol

I have the small first aid kits for bug out bags but I also have a trauma kit that slowly grows each month. I tend to over stock on antiseptics and antibiotics though lol

Better to be over stocked than not have them when you need them. I personally dont think you can over stock on any medical stuff. The problem is figuring out what to take. I dont need to haul an ambulance but it seems there is "always one more thing to add". I like to have quik clot and a roll of self adhesive wrap like found in vet supplies. Makes a great wrap over a wound, splint, support for a sprained joint. Uses are endless.

I need splints still but have stocked up on a bunch of bandages, gauze, available pills (pain killers, anti dietetics, etc.) butterfly stitches, individual alcohol wipes, antibacterial ointment, different ointments for burn relief, bug bits, etc.) my list could go on and on XD I should getting my surgical kit soon along with respirator mask new first aid bag to put it all in. lol The world is a dangerous and filthy place, I personally believe medical preparedness is right up there with food and water when it comes to importance.

I need splints still but have stocked up on a bunch of bandages, gauze, available pills (pain killers, anti dietetics, etc.) butterfly stitches, individual alcohol wipes, antibacterial ointment, different ointments for burn relief, bug bits, etc.) my list could go on and on XD I should getting my surgical kit soon along with respirator mask new first aid bag to put it all in. lol The world is a dangerous and filthy place, I personally believe medical preparedness is right up there with food and water when it comes to importance.
Hey Haloray,
I bought a lot of things for my First Aid bag from Emergency Essentials. http://beprepared.com/essential-gear/first-aid-kits-and-supplies.html

As far as the splints go... I bought mine off of Amazon. I got the SAM splint. I like it because it is light and flexible until you fold it and mold it... then it becomes more ridge.

I am looking for a bag that has multiple compartments in it so I can organize my bag...now I just have a big bag and everything is dumped in it. Actually I would like a bag that I could fit other bags or boxes in it. That way it would be easy to locate my burn kit or my suture kit... etc.

I agree with you about the importance of medical preparation.

Hey Haloray,
I bought a lot of things for my First Aid bag from Emergency Essentials. http://beprepared.com/essential-gear/first-aid-kits-and-supplies.html

As far as the splints go... I bought mine off of Amazon. I got the SAM splint. I like it because it is light and flexible until you fold it and mold it... then it becomes more ridge.

I am looking for a bag that has multiple compartments in it so I can organize my bag...now I just have a big bag and everything is dumped in it. Actually I would like a bag that I could fit other bags or boxes in it. That way it would be easy to locate my burn kit or my suture kit... etc.

I agree with you about the importance of medical preparation.
Ill check out the site, but I do most of my online shopping on amazon. Hopefully will be getting my new first aid bag soon. Was needing to make a downsized trauma bag in case of a bug out. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I672G6/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i04?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought one of those Molle prepackaged first aid kits, kept what was good in the bag and I am now adding what needs to be in the bag. The good thing is the bag attaches to the outside of my main BOB so it is easy to access without having to dig in the BOB. Which reminds me to start a new thread....

If you have the room try to add a triangle bandage, it has a plethora of uses. you can substitute almost anything for a splint, heavy duty cardboard, a pair of rolled up newspapers, an offcut of timber, a long pair of cooking tongs and the list goes on, I prefer the heavy duty cardboard, just make a cylinder and place the limb inside it, take bandage and fix into position.

Problem with storing antibiotics is that if they get exposed to hi temps it can ruin them, you can however make your very own if the SHTF using a lemon and a bit of time.

If you have the room try to add a triangle bandage, it has a plethora of uses. you can substitute almost anything for a splint, heavy duty cardboard, a pair of rolled up newspapers, an offcut of timber, a long pair of cooking tongs and the list goes on, I prefer the heavy duty cardboard, just make a cylinder and place the limb inside it, take bandage and fix into position.

Problem with storing antibiotics is that if they get exposed to hi temps it can ruin them, you can however make your very own if the SHTF using a lemon and a bit of time.
Yes I worry about all my meds exposed to high temps or expiring

As a healthcare provider, let me add a couple of items to your list:
-Alka Seltzer 2 tabs disolved in 6oz of water will provide you with a ton of necessary electrolytes. Just about as good as running a liter of LR (Lactated Ringers) via IV.
-Peroxide, one product with a multitude of uses....from wound care to curing an earache.
-Crazy Glue, nothing better to close a wound! Approximate (pull together) the edges of the wound and crazy glue it shut. We use it all the time in the OR to close wounds when you don't want suture or staple marks. Works fabulously!!

For my money, the best place to purchase supplies/equipment like: sutures, needles, staple gun, betadine, dressings, etc. is Jeffers Vet Supply. If you need it for a bug-out orbug-in first aid kit...this is where I buy it!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

As a healthcare provider, let me add a couple of items to your list:
-Alka Seltzer 2 tabs disolved in 6oz of water will provide you with a ton of necessary electrolytes. Just about as good as running a liter of LR (Lactated Ringers) via IV.
-Peroxide, one product with a multitude of uses....from wound care to curing an earache.
-Crazy Glue, nothing better to close a wound! Approximate (pull together) the edges of the wound and crazy glue it shut. We use it all the time in the OR to close wounds when you don't want suture or staple marks. Works fabulously!!

For my money, the best place to purchase supplies/equipment like: sutures, needles, staple gun, betadine, dressings, etc. is Jeffers Vet Supply. If you need it for a bug-out orbug-in first aid kit...this is where I buy it!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

For deeper cuts would you still need to hold the glued cut together with a bandage to stop it 'Popping' back open?

I use the super glue one on my hands for minor cuts because of where I work band aids always end up coming off and my cuts fill with nasty stuff, sometimes the cuts get infected anyway, i'm assuming this comes down to how clean the inside of the cut is when you glue it together, is this where the peroxide comes in?

For deeper cuts would you still need to hold the glued cut together with a bandage to stop it 'Popping' back open?

I use the super glue one on my hands for minor cuts because of where I work band aids always end up coming off and my cuts fill with nasty stuff, sometimes the cuts get infected anyway, i'm assuming this comes down to how clean the inside of the cut is when you glue it together, is this where the peroxide comes in?

For deeper cuts, after cleaning with Betadine, I would either staple it closed or sew it. I have sewed up many a ugly laceration with dental floss (non waxed kind) on livestock and yes, even my husband! Unlike cat gut or the like, it does not disolve so you will have to remove the stitches after say 8-10 days, depending on location and depth of the wound.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I created my own first-aid pack and used a tupperware container (for waterproofing and sealing purposes) to store them. It contains:
- 10 tablets Paracetamol
- 10 tablets Loperamide
- 10 capsules Mefenamic Acid
- 10 tablets Anti-histamine
- Band-aids of various sizes
- Gauze Pad and small roll and Gauze Adhesive Tape (you can do butterfly cuts also with this)
- Betadine (Povidone Iodine)
- Cotton (medium pack)
- 20 cotton buds
- Topical Ointment for stings and bites
- Topical Antibiotic
- 1 butane lighter (for quick removal of leeches. areas I would be going through have these. Also as an emergency firestarter)
- Small razor blade (placed in a small ziplock bag with a dessicant to prevent corrosion)
- small bottle of alcohol
- small sharp scissors

This can fit in a tupperware 8" long x 3" high x 5" wide. My pack has a pouch that fits it perfectly.

I have to full medkits at by current location and my BOL.

Please comment

Hydrogen Peroxide is not recommended anymore for open wounds as this kills the tissue. A diluted mixture of Distilled/Purified water and Betadine is advised.

Learned this firsthand during the onslaught of Typhoon Bopha when my right foot got speared by the diamond shaped spike of the gate as I was going down from the roof. Had to undergo three operations to repair the injury (good thing was that I was an IT consultant to a hospital and since they needed me there they offered free meds, surgery, etc. hehehe)

Am not sure if this is true but I read on the internet that superglue was first invented just for the purpose of closing open wounds/gashes during a war.

OT: Very effective also for loudmouthed people :D

Overlord,
If you can find a CAT tourniquet and an Israeli Bandage you can do a lot with them. If you cant find the Israeli Bandage try to find some Vet wrap. It clings to itself. You can use it to cover a wound and it will keep pressure on it. They are cheap also. Not sure where in the Philippines you will find it. It is at most farm supply stores in the US. A roll is like $2-3 depending on the size. They also come in many different colors now, including camo. I get a couple of rolls in white and use it for winter camo on my rifle. It works great and does not leave a sticky residue.

Hydrogen Peroxide is not recommended anymore for open wounds as this kills the tissue. A diluted mixture of Distilled/Purified water and Betadine is advised.
I used Hydrogen Peroxide on my son's knee when he cut it open about 5 years ago. We eventually took him to the ER, when I told them that I washed out the wound with hydrogen peroxide, they scolded me and they told me never to put anything into a wound that you wouldn't put in your eyes... I said "so... I take it I shouldn't have washed his eyes out with hydrogen peroxide too?"

Learned this firsthand during the onslaught of Typhoon Bopha when my right foot got speared by the diamond shaped spike of the gate as I was going down from the roof. Had to undergo three operations to repair the injury (good thing was that I was an IT consultant to a hospital and since they needed me there they offered free meds, surgery, etc. hehehe)
YECH... got any pictures? Seriously though, I hope you're alright!!!

OT: Very effective also for loudmouthed people :D
What is "OT"?

Latest posts

Back