Finally got to test out some gear

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petoski

God Like
Reaction score
Just got back from a couple of days hike out in the Finnish woods for the first time with my bug out bag. It was good to finally get to test out the equipment but also to see how physically fit I am. Apparently the later of those 2 needs some work. Now it is fun time... bug out bag modifications👍

Well for 1 I am not normally sitting on my arse all day. I am active, but going up and down rough terrain even for only 2 days has really been rough on my legs. Makes me realise how unlikely it is that city folk would be able to walk out this far if SHTF. As far as the bag is concerned I went for small and lightweight but took a few redundancies too. The main issue I had was the solar/windup radio/battery bank torch worked to recharge my phone once but then the sun didn't recharge it so I ran out of power. The hand crank worked but it was a royal pain in the arse. Also winding it is very noisy and in SHTF situation would draw too much attention. I will look for alternate options.

Food wise don't take S market brand Mexican bean and rice because it was way more spicy than I thought it would be and needing to go for a shit every kilometre isn't the most fun thing when hiking.

I think the best thing about Finland is you can find fire wood everywhere and you are never more than about 500 metres from a lake for water.

okay,so no taco-tuesdays then 😂
fire wood and water is a nice option here in our parts.
it's actually hard to walk,even harder with no training,so 99% of city dwellers could not make it that way.

There goes the "Golden Hoard" thing. Well darn, I was looking forward to some lively target practice.

Can you show us picks of the chosen equipment in your BOB?

i'll try to get something up when I get some free time.

I think I may got for a slightly larger pack. I used a 20L pack and added 2 side pouches. I think another 5L would be more than enough so have a bit of spare room too.

Main compartment (rear)

Shelter
Water + Cooking equipment - (inside dry bag)

• Pathfinder Flask/Cup/canteen/Stove kit
  • Fish mouth spreader

• Tarp + pegs
  • Para chord
  • Carabina x 4
  • Spare 5L dry bag
  • Hammock
  • Ground mat

Central compartment

Clothing - *Inside dry bag*

• *Wool socks x2
  • *Underwear x2
  • *Base layer top
  • *Base layer trousers
  • *Long sleeve shirt x1
  • *T-Shirt
  • *Trousers
  • *Shorts
  • Work Gloves
  • Travel towel
  • Hat
  • Bandana
  • Waterproof trousers
  • Military poncho

• Food ration packs x5
  • nut/fruit mix
  • 1 tin tuna
  • 1 tin sardines
  • protein bar x2
  • salami
  • tea bags
  • water flavour/vitamin tablets

Central compartment inner sleeve

Documents (copies)
Money (cash €100 small bills)

• Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Driving license
  • Residence permits
  • Kela card
  • Medical info
Emergency information
  • phone numbers/addresses (family, friends, emergency agencies)

Front Compartment (TOP)

First Aid Kit

• Water purification tablets
  • Antiseptic cream
  • Imodium
  • Plasters+Blister Pads
  • Bandage
  • Microporous Tape
  • Non Adherent Dressings
  • Safety Pins
  • Scissors
  • Tweasers
  • Syringe - For Irrigation
  • Paracetamol
  • insect repellent
  • Soap
  • Survival blanket
  • toothpaste
  • mini toothbrush

Front compartment (BOTTOM)

Navigation
*Redundancies*
Quick access equipment

• Sawyer mini water filter
  • Compass
  • Maps (local + national)
  • Money/Barter
  • Extra dry bag for salvage
  • Spare glasses
  • Head lamp
  • Toilet paper

Side Pouch #1

Hunting Kit
Fire/ Water Kit

SURVIVAL TIN #1 (Hunting)
  • Fishing line, hooks, weights, floats, lures
  • Sewing kit
  • Duct tape

SURVIVAL TIN #2 (Fire + Water)

• Ferrous rod
  • Lighter (mini)
  • Tinder
  • Lens/mirror - (Tin lid)
  • Knife sharpener/stone
  • Swiss army knife
  • Multi-tool
  • Hair bands to lock tins closed

Side Pouch #2

Tools
  • Knife
  • Folding saw
  • Binoculars
  • Dynamo/solar torch/power bank/radio

External
  • Carabina x4
  • Whistle
  • Mini compass/thermometer

I am curious to know what you had that you did not use, and would remove. Also, what did you need that you did not have that you would add.

Question: Do you think the length of the hike, only two days, would make a difference? I understand food, but was there any gear you didn't use on a short hike that you may have used had you been out longer? Thanks for sharing.

I didn't use most things other than the clothes, food/water, cooking equipment, shelter, navigation stuff and a knife. Of course you never know if you need the others but better safe than sorry. I feel like I don't have many unnecessary items if I needed to bug out long-term.

Yes only out for a couple of days so definitely would need to take more food in a SHTF situation. I could have lasted another 2 days with the food I took and there are plenty of fish and berries to be found at this time of the year. I could have packed it light for the 2 day trip but I wanted to carry everything to see how the weight was. I think a slightly bigger bag to take extra food and maybe add some snares. Also if I needed to travel in the winter I would need a bit more space as the winter clothes take up more room.

Also I found that some of the items were not packed in ideal locations so a new layout may be needed.

What do others prefer, a tarp or tent? I went for the tarp due to the size and weight difference. Also I went for thin sleeping bag which I think i missed from the list. Clothing, shelter and food took up the most space.

I prefer a tent, but I am a bug magnet. If there was only one bug on the planet it would seek me out; find me; and annoy me. A tent affords a little more protection.

I use a 10x10 tarp, did I miss a metal pot to boil water as your secondary to the Sawyer Mini?

you have a few items you could live without. Hammock, extra dry bag, ground mat (unless it’s Tyvex?) WP pants (parka should suffice) shorts and pants?

kit looks pretty squared away though.

water bladder?
Total weight with water?

what’s the purpose of the bag? Get you to a BOL? How far away is it?

my GHB is for 50miles and is < 30lbs wet.
https://k7jlj.github.io/K7JLJ.com/ghb_2-0.html

50miles on foot,that's some trekking, how many days do you plan for travel?

I'd love to get my hands on this compass,but not a single store here has it,tried even questioning Suunto,but,but let's say in this age of modern gadgets,that phone call was doomed to fail..
1595787891151.png

I like these topics, since forest extreme is my entertainment. Several years ago created a table for calculating the weight of equipment in MS Excel.
You should take different equipment, depending on the following factors ...
--------
1.your trip to the forest can have different goals
- just a walk without spending the night (to pick mushrooms, berries or eat meat baked over a fire)
- tourism for a few days with comfort
- extreme tourism with a minimum of equipment
----------
2. There may be several people on your hike, so the weight of the equipment should be distributed among the group members.
------
3. Is the use of inflatable boats expected
--------

4. Features of the area for the presence of water, firewood, stones, dangerous animals, swamps, mushrooms, berries ...
as well as tourist camps in the forest.
-------
5. Hiking season. (It’s clear that you don’t need water in winter, but you do need warm clothing.)
---------

we have a tourist bivouac in the forest.
matches, salt, tea, plastic containers for water, a kettle, metal bars, napkins, bandages, iodine, gas ballons, etc. are stored in this place..

2019-07-20-055.jpg

Last edited:
more or less same distance from my place to the possible BOL.
you have possibilities to get water along that stretch?
another question, security,so rifle? how much ammo?
quite right.
Water is the first thing. There are many rivers and lakes in Finland, so there is water.
we only have swamps and ditches.,
so we take at least 2 liters per person for first day.
It is imperative to stop near the water.
Then use a travel filter and boil.

Latest posts

Back