Field Test

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I have been testing this straw filter out for the past two weeks.
The first areas I was in was up in Seattle, a cruise ship at Alaska.
The hotel water in Seattle was nasty, though not as bad as some cities I have been in, but the clean sip straw came through. It is my opinion that it was to a level that made it taste like bottled water.
Now the cruise ships, at least the ones I have been on, have a plastic taste to their water. It is pretty bad, but again the clean sip straw helped tremendously though it did not completely get the plastic taste out, it was a lot better.

Now the big test of the two weeks was this past weekend when I went camping up in Big Bear, CA. I have been to this place about 6 times, and the one thing that remains constant is their nasty ### water! This place gave the clean sip straw a run for its money! I am sure it filtered all of the bad crap out of the water, but the taste was hard for this straw to combat. I believe the foul taste was cut in half, but still noticeable. That being said I am sure everyone agree clean water is the primary concern, taste is second.

All in all I was pleased with the clean sip straw's performance, and I will be buying more.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the report, Clyde.

I have the bottle type filters in my BOBs, but haven't actually tested one yet. There is some nasty tap water here. We have a PUR filter on the faucet and filter everything, even cooking water. LOL! my coffee water gets filtered twice - once at the tap, and another time at the coffee maker which has a built-in water filter. Three times if you count the coffee filter.

I'll have to break out the bottle filters and see how well they work.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the report, Clyde.

I have the bottle type filters in my BOBs, but haven't actually tested one yet. There is some nasty tap water here. We have a PUR filter on the faucet and filter everything, even cooking water. LOL! my coffee water gets filtered twice - once at the tap, and another time at the coffee maker which has a built-in water filter. Three times if you count the coffee filter.

I'll have to break out the bottle filters and see how well they work.
My wife has an industrial grade filter for the kitchen since our muni water is also nasty!

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Well, after taking the wrapping off my bottle filters, and reading the instruction manuals, I come to find out that the one that I put in my wife's BOB is not designed for removing microbes, only chlorine and particulates.

It says:
The filter is not designed to purify water. :confused: Do not use with water that is microbologically unsafe or of unknown quality without adequate disinfection before or after the system
WTH???? The filter is not designed to purify water??? I smell a lawyer...

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Well, after taking the wrapping off my bottle filters, and reading the instruction manuals, I come to find out that the one that I put in my wife's BOB is not designed for removing microbes, only chlorine and particulates.

It says:

WTH???? The filter is not designed to purify water??? I smell a lawyer...
That's 性交ed up! this one says it will remove

Chlorine, Lead, Mercury, Aluminum, Hydrogen Sulphide, Arsenic, Cadmium, Chromium, Barium, Fluoride, Giardia, E. Coli, Algae, Fungus, Scale, Sediment

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
you want one that filters down to .02 microns
I know I would be pissed if I bought a water filter that didn't really filter anything.
Around here you need a filter for the water up in Big Bear, CA. Pretty sad when the water in the mountains tastes like ###.

Clean Sip

Approved DPF Vendor
DPF Vendor
Reaction score
.02 microns is the key? what about .2 microns? other products out there say they can filter .2 microns. is that good enough?
Good question is it .02 or was that a typo and is .2?
Sorry for the delay in answering this question. I should have the answer for you in a day or so.
Have you had a chance to read the Test Reportshttp://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/test-reports.2599/ I posted? I hope they help answer some questions.

Clean Sip

Approved DPF Vendor
DPF Vendor
Reaction score
.02 microns is the key? what about .2 microns? other products out there say they can filter .2 microns. is that good enough?
Good question is it .02 or was that a typo and is .2?
I verified and they filter down to 0.2 microns. IT is this level that allows the filtering of spores & cysts like Giardia.

Should you have more questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I verified and they filter down to 0.2 microns. IT is this level that allows the filtering of spores & cysts like Giardia.

Should you have more questions please do not hesitate to ask!
Thank you for getting us the info.
A friend of mine did, somehow, contract Giardia. near as anyone of us can tell, he got it in Orange County, Calif. Seams odd that this would happen. He wasn't out of state or country for that matter.

He lost some 20+ pounds in only a few weeks.

Giardia, we found out, has nearly all of the same symptoms as colon cancer.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
I got a berkey gravity filter, looks like it holds about a gallon, and it collapses reasonably well, but still a little bulky. I read that you can safely drink water from an old car tire, not really sure I want to test that one! I really like the straw, both small and I want redundancy, especially for something as important as water. Does anyone know the amount of water it will filter before needing replacement? I'm also interested in the light filters if anyone has any info.

Clean Sip

Approved DPF Vendor
DPF Vendor
Reaction score
I got a berkey gravity filter, looks like it holds about a gallon, and it collapses reasonably well, but still a little bulky. I read that you can safely drink water from an old car tire, not really sure I want to test that one! I really like the straw, both small and I want redundancy, especially for something as important as water. Does anyone know the amount of water it will filter before needing replacement? I'm also interested in the light filters if anyone has any info.
If you can get about 90 gallons out of each straw, but this also depends on the water quality.

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Reaction score
That's good info. I was wondering about that too. I saw that they should last about "6 months", but I'd like clarification on that too, if possible. I understand that it depends on how contaminated the water is, as that would wear out the filters quicker. What about that "Shelf life" though? Is it 6 months of use with "Average" water, or should they be replaced every 6 months anyways?

This is a good looking product. I have had mixed results with other products and would like to have redundancy with the water issue for sure. 1 is none and 2 is one, so I'll probably need about 10 million of these!:p Water is the big deal in most situations, so I'm serious about the importance of water even if I'm making light of it all...

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
Hey alabaster, I'm sure it's shelf life is indefinite, at least until you use it the first time. I'm pretty impressed with it for the low cost, small portable size, and ease of use. I'm getting two, for the bob and ghb.

tntboy13

Reaction score
How do these size up to the life straw? I'd like to support cleansip and I'm curious about big differences if any. I also see I can order them on amazon, am I still supporting cleansip if I purchase from there? It says it's sold by NEU LLC. Info is greatly appreciated!

Clean Sip

Approved DPF Vendor
DPF Vendor
Reaction score
How do these size up to the life straw? I'd like to support cleansip and I'm curious about big differences if any. I also see I can order them on amazon, am I still supporting cleansip if I purchase from there? It says it's sold by NEU LLC. Info is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your questions.

On major difference is portability. The Clean Sip straw is about the same size as any regular drinking straw. The life straw is 9" x 1" and the clean sip is 8" x 3/8"

Latest posts