Fever: suppress or let it ride?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Fever: suppress or let it ride?

I came across this article (link below) while looking for current research on the subject. I am recovering from a urinary tract infection that I decided to let my immune system handle without interference.
3 days of 102 fever with frequent urination - every 30 to 45 minutes 24 hours a day. I had decided that if it ever got over 103 I would find an acute care clinic. I was out of town. It got up to 102.7.
I was not able to get much stage 3 sleep and no stage 4 (rem) sleep for 3 nights because of the frequency of urination. But on day 4 my fever broke and the frequency of urination was down to once every two or three hours. I gradually got better after that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4703655/

First: Fine, that you recovered well.

Your method is the one I also choose. Tempratures up to 40°C (=104°F) can be handled with, when it decreases in under a week. External treatment like cooling calf wraps help with getting propper sleep. And dry and fresh bedding always is a fine thing as well as fresh air.

Also I must admit, that I get jittery when the kids get measurably feverish.

I did use a wet washrag on my forehead because when my head felt hot I could not sleep. But even though I had some Alleve and some enteric aspirin, I resisted the temptation to use them.
Even when I was young, I have never trusted Tylenol. I always had the feeling that something was off with it. My mother was a big believer in it, but I would ask for children's aspirin instead.

The kids fight fevers very well without "real" medics.
Vitamin C, a lot of fluid, especially herbal teas (chamomile, yarrow, thyme, the blossoms of linden, willowbark (natural Aspirin))
and some extra care work wonders.

Low grade is no big deal to let it ride. But anything 103 or better should have some intervention. Aspirin is wonderful stuff. I’ve read that many medical professionals would stock up on aspirin if they could only have one thing for shtf. Fever still kills a lot of people every year around the world, especially kids.

Low grade is no big deal to let it ride. But anything 103 or better should have some intervention. Aspirin is wonderful stuff. I’ve read that many medical professionals would stock up on aspirin if they could only have one thing for shtf. Fever still kills a lot of people every year around the world, especially kids.
You´re right. BUT we better don´t compare the first world with the third.
I have Aspirin in stock, but too less in my mind. That stuff is getting expensive (for a medicine that can be used for a lot of stuff). The best price I found for the 80 500mg tabs is 13€ = 13,66USD plus shipping.

Latest posts

Back