Fermented Carolina Slaw. Safe to Can?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I wouldn't can it. For sauerkraut you have the salt that draws out the juices but that also helps preserve and I don't see enough salt in this one. The recipe you are using also doesn't have an acid and it has oil, so water bath would be out of the question which means I would only pressure can and you would come out with mushy slaw. If you were to waterbath, botulism would be a big concern for me. It can thrive in oil based items. If you had one that was a vinegar based would be much better. I have a recipe for canning Amish Slaw on the big computer that I will look for after Hunny gets up to share with you. That's just my 2 cents. Would love to hear from other canners what their thoughts are.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't can it. For sauerkraut you have the salt that draws out the juices but that also helps preserve and I don't see enough salt in this one. The recipe you are using also doesn't have an acid and it has oil, so water bath would be out of the question which means I would only pressure can and you would come out with mushy slaw. If you were to waterbath, botulism would be a big concern for me. It can thrive in oil based items. If you had one that was a vinegar based would be much better. I have a recipe for canning Amish Slaw on the big computer that I will look for after Hunny gets up to share with you. That's just my 2 cents. Would love to hear from other banners what their thoughts are.

Excellent advice Dani!

Latest posts

Back