Favourite end of the world movie.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the original series much less PC, Diverse, inclusive and multiu cultural than the dreadful remake. It only had two flaws though (1) it was typical of BBC dramas of the period that all of the good guys were well spoken upper middle class tyes, and the baddies usually working class or power mad upper class types. (2) One of the two cameras they filmed the first series on had some sort of defect so when it was finished and developed much of what it recorded was unfit for broadcast. But it did help kick off survivalism in the UK :)
a bit like what "the good life" did for home growing.

strange but fairly decent chip in for UK TV - The Last Train - combo of sci fi and survivor >>> bunch of passengers in a train car get buried in a RR tunnel after the world ending nuke blasts - a suspended animation gas is released and they all wake up to be survivors of wasteland - only part of one season ....

strange but fairly decent chip in for UK TV - The Last Train - combo of sci fi and survivor >>> bunch of passengers in a train car get buried in a RR tunnel after the world ending nuke blasts - a suspended animation gas is released and they all wake up to be survivors of wasteland - only part of one season ....

What ruined the last train for me was the screwed up geography as they travelled, I cannot remember exactly was was screwed up but as an example imagine the train got frozen in a tunnel in Texas the journey took them through New England BEFORE they got to Arkansas enroute to Nova Scotia. One of the recen Robin Hood movies was the same, Arrived in Dover then filmed crossing Hadrians wall 400 miles to the north before reaching Nottingham only 200 miles north.

I think the last straw was making it a cliffhanger so that I had to wait until the next season to find out who Nagan pulverized. As soon as I saw it was Glenn, that was it.

Sorry if I spoiled the "surprise" for anyone, but it is not a pleasant surprise. I think if I had known ahead of time I would have taken it better.
That was quite a shocking revelation when we finally found out who got it, but I kept watching. All I know, if Maggie does not settle Negan's hash at the end of this season, I will be thoroughly pissed!

A movie that touches on many things we discuss here like, bugging out, gathering supplies, storing and burying caches, self defense, raiding parties, the unprepared from the city traveling to small rural towns, nuclear war etc... this movie has it all. I just wish it was longer and a modern movie made. Granted it's dated (1962) but a good preppers flick and relevant today

Panic in the year zero (1962)

or watch it here:

It's a great movie that shows the importance of evaluating information available during the beginning of an emergency, and calmly developing a strategy and the tactics needed to realize the strategy.
The beginning of the COVID pandemic was an excellent test case on how most people will respond to an existential threat. When people were given the choice of accepting information from people who had decades of experience dealing with epidemics, or getting their info from a New York real estate huckster who probably couldn't spell "pandemic," most so-called preppers went with the huckster, which is fantastic news for real preppers, since there'll be plenty of supplies left during a real existential threat because the huckster followers will die off quickly.
Most humans are cattle who instinctively search for someone to follow, and many hucksters got where they are by leading from the rear and then blaming bad results on someone else.
Even now, after millions of people have taken the COVID vaccination, a huge group of Trump Thumpers still won't wear a mask or take the shot. Those are the same people who'll spend the first three days after a nuclear disaster waiting for Hannity to tell them what to think next. When their teeth fall out and they can't swallow anything, they'll switch over to Tucker Carlson.

It's a great movie that shows the importance of evaluating information available during the beginning of an emergency, and calmly developing a strategy and the tactics needed to realize the strategy.
The beginning of the COVID pandemic was an excellent test case on how most people will respond to an existential threat. When people were given the choice of accepting information from people who had decades of experience dealing with epidemics, or getting their info from a New York real estate huckster who probably couldn't spell "pandemic," most so-called preppers went with the huckster, which is fantastic news for real preppers, since there'll be plenty of supplies left during a real existential threat because the huckster followers will die off quickly.
Most humans are cattle who instinctively search for someone to follow, and many hucksters got where they are by leading from the rear and then blaming bad results on someone else.
Even now, after millions of people have taken the COVID vaccination, a huge group of Trump Thumpers still won't wear a mask or take the shot. Those are the same people who'll spend the first three days after a nuclear disaster waiting for Hannity to tell them what to think next. When their teeth fall out and they can't swallow anything, they'll switch over to Tucker Carlson.

actually Panic in the Year Zero has a HUGE MAJOR survival flaw >>> initially the family had taken off from home to go camping - turned around and tried driving back into the nuked metro area - kept meeting the fleeing refugees head-on in near crashes - stopped and talked with the shell shocked survivors >>> Dad was finally convinced to stop and head up into the mountains as planned ....

This was a great post until you got on a Marxist liberal rant. Perhaps in future keep your political opinions to yourself, I'm not here for that bullshit as are many. What makes you any more than a "Huckster" in your opinion? Thanks for playing our game, your Rice-A-Roni is back stage.

Latest posts

Back