Favourite end of the world movie.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished 77 days in September, ordered used a Daunting Days of Winter. One thing I thought was plain dumb in the book 77 was that they were hauling water from a mile away to pour down the toilet instead of building latrines. The book ranged over about a 3 month time period starting from the incident of the EMP. Now that it is winter coming on, I am interested in what they will do to stay warm in Montana, so far they haven't done anything but turn on a propane fireplace. LOL
Hope you aren’t disappointed, it isn’t as good as the first one. When you get done we can compare notes. Been thinking about Ted Koppel’s book Lights Out lately. Of course, that is unfortunately not fiction, but those two books really got me thinking about our vulnerability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hope you aren’t disappointed, it isn’t as good as the first one. When you get done we can compare notes. Been thinking about Ted Koppel’s book Lights Out lately. Of course, that is unfortunately not fiction, but those two books really got me thinking about our vulnerability.

Yea, I hadn't put my get home bag back in the vehicle after doing inventory. I certainly did after reading 77 days. Whew that was close! LOL.
OK, yea we can compare and discuss. sounds good.

Just finished Daunting Days of Winter. I felt it was good just not quite as exciting as the beginning of the realization of the EMP, the start of the mess. One thing I noticed was simple typos, can't help but notice it. In any case, I wanted to slap Jennifer a few times, I mean get a grip, you are going to kill yourself because you think that maybe your husband slept with another woman. Ridiculous, written by a man. LOL. Some people will cope better than others I guess. I think the books bring out things that people make mistakes in doing, such as taking a chance on the weather, not having your gun fully loaded at all times, being less than diligent, leaving your animal tethered in bear country defenseless. If something ever happens, I am keeping my gun, a back up gun and a back up for my back up. Being too careful is not a possibility and once you screw up it could be the end of you. It also points out how evil some people can be, it is easy to forget that people have an evil streak in them. A sociopath on the loose doing whatever they feel inclined to do without constraint is frightening. The second book looks at fortification and defense, brought up many good talking points. AND, a lack of axes was a big problem in their community. I have several hatchets but only one axe. The prepper saying, "One is none and two is one" is good to go by. Think I will scrounge up another axe somewhere. One must have hand tools, gardening tools, ways to cut and shape wood, etc. Everybody should have a wood stove, not a fireplace. I have a wood stove in the garage not hooked up, it has been there 2 years and I don't plan on using it unless. In addition, I was surprised they were still hauling water to flush toilets, really?

Just finished Daunting Days of Winter. I felt it was good just not quite as exciting as the beginning of the realization of the EMP, the start of the mess. One thing I noticed was simple typos, can't help but notice it. In any case, I wanted to slap Jennifer a few times, I mean get a grip, you are going to kill yourself because you think that maybe your husband slept with another woman. Ridiculous, written by a man. LOL. Some people will cope better than others I guess. I think the books bring out things that people make mistakes in doing, such as taking a chance on the weather, not having your gun fully loaded at all times, being less than diligent, leaving your animal tethered in bear country defenseless. If something ever happens, I am keeping my gun, a back up gun and a back up for my back up. Being too careful is not a possibility and once you screw up it could be the end of you. It also points out how evil some people can be, it is easy to forget that people have an evil streak in them. A sociopath on the loose doing whatever they feel inclined to do without constraint is frightening. The second book looks at fortification and defense, brought up many good talking points. AND, a lack of axes was a big problem in their community. I have several hatchets but only one axe. The prepper saying, "One is none and two is one" is good to go by. Think I will scrounge up another axe somewhere. One must have hand tools, gardening tools, ways to cut and shape wood, etc. Everybody should have a wood stove, not a fireplace. I have a wood stove in the garage not hooked up, it has been there 2 years and I don't plan on using it unless. In addition, I was surprised they were still hauling water to flush toilets, really?
Yes, I did think that some of the characterizations in this book were a bit lacking, but there was still some good info there. Good point about the ax.

You may like this series, it is pretty gritty but also has some good information... https://www.amazon.com/Second-After...qid=1532104375&sr=8-1&keywords=1+second+after

I have read the nursing home scene, very realistic. But, no tears. It is hard for people to understand that medical persons are just people. Most will go home to their families, that is where the higher duty is. I can't wait to settle in tonight to start reading again.
Don't worry about crying, not everyone is as unsympathetic as I am. LOL

I have read the nursing home scene, very realistic. But, no tears. It is hard for people to understand that medical persons are just people. Most will go home to their families, that is where the higher duty is. I can't wait to settle in tonight to start reading again.
Don't worry about crying, not everyone is as unsympathetic as I am. LOL
Nah, it had to do with their dogs....might have been in the 2nd book. There are 3.

Last edited:
Maybe not my favorite, but definitely the one that had the most impact was No Blade of Grass (1970) in which a global grass epidemic (affecting all forms of grass including grain) caused world wide famine and descent into chaos. Today it would be just another post apocalyptic movie, but in 1970, long before the genre was well established, it was extremely shocking. That was probably what first got me started on the road to prepperdom, at least mentally.

Maybe not my favorite, but definitely the one that had the most impact was No Blade of Grass (1970) in which a global grass epidemic (affecting all forms of grass including grain) caused world wide famine and descent into chaos. Today it would be just another post apocalyptic movie, but in 1970, long before the genre was well established, it was extremely shocking. That was probably what first got me started on the road to prepperdom, at least mentally.

Ah NO BLADE OF GRASS aka DEATH OF GRASS one of John Christophers better books, like A Wrinkle in the Skin. I actually tracked the route that the protractors took from London to the Lake District, I never could resolve the last 20 or so miles so I guess it must have been a fictional farmstead.

it came out around the same time as the BBc TV make of Day Of The Triffids, and Terry Nations SURVIVORS. Nation is the chap who invented Dr Whos best enemy the daleks

I did enjoy the Last Ship, but I genuinely got very upset watching BOTH versions of Neville Schutes ON THE BEACH, but the ones that drove to towards survivalism was the Originanal UK TV series DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS and the original SURVIVORS. From the US I like Jeremiah and also Jericho, Falling Skys is great, Went off TWD after the fourth series.

Latest posts

Back