Farraday Cage ???

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw a segment on TV regarding a home-made Farraday cage (.A metal enclosure, that protects sensitive electronics, like Ham , CB Radios, etc., from an EMF attack or Solar Flare Disruption) A guy used an empty 55 gal drum to store his radios ,....As long as we have some warning of this occuring,.It ocurred to me that we all seem to have one, ready and waiting for us, right in our own homes....I think that the incredible Washer and Dryer would work as well as anything, as it is a metal isolated enclosure.....What do you think ??...Of course , you won't put in on Super Wash,..LOL....Correct me if I'm wrong

I would think dryer would be better, with these new fancy washers I would think it may have something in in that would react if that kind of attack occured. Dryers seem to be pretty basic still. But I'm no expert by any means, a very very green prepper

I'm sorry to say that there are problems with your solution. First off, if military equipment is subject to EMP and we're talking radios in tanks (lots more metal than a washer or dryer). Suggest you do more research on Farraday cage.

those cargo containers used to ship thinf across the ocean works great against emp's.so what im thinking for a farraday cage,is a old ammo box thats made of metal.and line the inside with pieces of plywood for the extra protection.and to keep the elctronics away from the metal box..

A Farraday cage needs to be grounded. The electronics in the 'cage' need to be isolated from the metal. So a dryer will not work.

Kind of some conflicting thoughts on some of the possible home Faraday cages (washers, dryers, dishwashers, microwaves, fridges, freezers, etc.). Personally, I'm on the lookout for a couple of good, but cheap metal cabinets I can turn into one, and just keep things like my power tools, etc. in one, and electronic devices in another normally, so I won't need advance notice to keep them safe...it will simply be where they are normally stored.

i like the cabnet idea.fix um right.and keep the doors locked when whats in um aint needed

In my country all power outlets are grounded. wont that cause the dryer to work ?
Either way. I really like the metal cabinet idea. because I don't think an emp strike will come with a warning ;P

Btw if your building a basement and build your house from concrete, can't you just make it from armed concrete and ground the metal that's inside?
(In my country, concrete and brick are the most used material to build a house. I'm actually always amazed when I see homes being build in america on tv. homes made out of wood are pretty rare over here)

Last edited:
In my country all power outlets are grounded. wont that cause the dryer to work ?
Either way. I really like the metal cabinet idea. because I don't think an emp strike will come with a warning ;P

Btw if your building a basement and build your house from concrete, can't you just make it from armed concrete and ground the metal that's inside?
(In my country, concrete and brick are the most used material to build a house. I'm actually always amazed when I see homes being build in america on tv. homes made out of wood are pretty rare over here)
I too like the idea of using a cabinet.
Where I live brick doesn't do well due to earthquakes.

There is an article in a back issue of QST Magazine that explains how to build one and what not to do.
The question is, unless your equipment is in it all the time, what are you going to protect?

A washer or drier would not qualify as being a Faraday Cage because it is not grounded and the power cord would act like an antenna and would attract the current that you were trying to protect your equipment from.

If someone wishes - I will delve deeper into this topic.
If no one cares, then I will keep my opinions to myself.

The question is, unless your equipment is in it all the time, what are you going to protect?

Hence the beauty of the dedicated cabinet. It would be the normal storage place for said items, so that IF something happened, their normal home would be a protected place.

Here's one made from a cabinet:

Few issues I see in the video,

Does the adhesive of the tape prevent the metallic tape from grounding to the cabinet?
The shelves metal? equipment setting on metal may become charged since the shelves are a conduit to the outer cabinet
Nothing mentioned about the cabinet being grounded
The metallic on the insulation again a conduit to the outside cabinet. the equipment needs to 100% separated from anything metal
Exposed seam where the two doors meet

Unless the cabinet was physically bonded to the ground stake - I doubt if it would act like a Faraday Cage to the point of being 100% effective in protecting your electronics.
The problem with the theory is that the human body can have current traveling through it and not sustain damage - standing next to a electric sub station - thousands of volts of current travels around your body, most of the time you are standing over the ground grid - so although your hair stands on end and your body feels tingly and you experience shock each time you touch a metallic grounded object, the shock does not kill you.

As a comparison - slide across your vehicles seat and then touch something that is computer controlled inside of the vehicle or even play with the air bag system and you will get almost automatic failure of the component..

Electronic devices today are hundreds of thousands more times susceptable EMP
then the tube type equipment that was around when the US did their experiments 50 - 66 years ago..

I have heard many preppers use metal garbage cans with a lid as a faraday cage. They set cardboard box inside then place electronics in metal padded box on top of cardboard, close lid and EMP proof!

How can you keep your electronics safe 24 / 7 ?

Another? Can you make a Faraday cage that would protect your vehicle from EMP?

I think the last major tests were in the 90's, at least the report I recall. No doubt, most personal electronics these days would fry from a fairly minor EMP exposure. Just too much to go wrong. Heck, my cell phone doesn't even like FL heat, lol.

Latest posts

Back