Faraday Cage

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
The Faraday cage was discussed briefly in another thread so I thought I would start a thread here dedicated to making Faraday Cages. Mind you I am not an engineer so I have to go find what I hope to be good how to's!

Please share what knowledge you have on EMP's and Faraday Cages. Especially if you have seen a Faraday Cage actually tested.

Guys your car is also a faraday cage it's built from factory to Handel lightning strikes and its grounded with the rubber tires so for those who can't build them just use your car. Watch this video

Guys your car is also a faraday cage it's built from factory to Handel lightning strikes and its grounded with the rubber tires so for those who can't build them just use your car. Watch this video
Thanks for the information.I am no expert on this, but I am trying to get there so I appreciate the information.

Could the same be said of motor homes (R.V.'s) and trailers? This is something I have not looked into.

I have been thinking about different ways to go about a faraday cage. An EMP is not on the top of my list, but it is still a concern and faraday cage is a rather simple design, so I think I will go for it. And I would hate to invest in radios and other electronic devices and have them useless because I didn't implement a basic device.

Now I am a huge fan of Ammo Cans from the army surplus store. They are inexpensive, seal tight, and are constructed completely from steel. And have thought of using them as a faraday cage and using some form of rubber mats to line the inside. Another thought would be to fabricate my own, I have a welder and could simple weld a cage to my custom design and have a similar approach to an ammo can, but with more work involved, and depending on size and design, cost.

As far as an EMP proof vehicle, I am a little new to that concept and will have to do research, I do know that the vehicle acts as one in it's design to withstand lightening strikes, however the vehicles battery and other electronic components such as the computer could still be at risk, am I right? Now I own a Jeep and I do like the off-road which already has given me a leg up on a BO vehicle or whatever you wish to consider it. I will be designing armor for the underbelly and sides that I would think I could design into a faraday cage that would protect the electronics of the Jeep completely.

I had also considered not worrying about completely EMP proofing my Jeep and simply keeping a spare computer in a faraday cage I would make as stated above. I could pull one from a Junkyard for around $40 or $50, and possibly less if I am frugal and patient.

Yeah ammo crate with a cardboard box inside and maybe sqeeze another box in again, just chuck all your electricals in there then easy

That's what I was thinking as far as radio's, solar chargers, things like that. Good idea about the box, with in box. But I do wonder how I could go about protecting the electrical components of my Jeep. I know that the body is designed to an extent like a faraday cage, but there are still vulnerable components that would render it useless.

Latest posts

Back