Faraday Cage

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys your car is also a faraday cage it's built from factory to Handel lightning strikes and its grounded with the rubber tires so for those who can't build them just use your car. Watch this video

Don't forget you cant touch the sides, steering wheel, floor, pedals or roof. As far as I know it's the same for the cases to so I'd say line them well with rubber.

Not sealed against the waves though. For all metal cars, not as much an issue, but for those that are more fiberglass, less protection. Lightning is one thing, it can be channeled. The waves are different. With all the newer e-brain type cars, I'd bet a whole lot of them would be planters after a deliberate, weaponized EMP.

Im wondering how a gun safe would work as a faraday cage. They're made out of metal usually with some sort of interior padding so I think they must be somewhat effective. And speaking of EMPs, that's a good reason to prefer gun safes with purely mechanical locks as opposed to electrical ones.

The charge is only on the exterior surface of the metal. Consider a shipping container. Buried it is already grounded well. I also think if your cage is tight enough, place it under water. The water would rapidly dispell any charges to ground long before damaging your articles. But if it ain't sealed up , the emp would have been nicer

Ok here is the first "how to" I found using a metal cabinet. I like this one due to its size.

LOL.. that cabinet isn't going to protect anything from a nuclear EMP (E1) pulse.

I was just looking at this video from MIT, should give ya guys some info on how a faraday cage works! ;)

The key words in this video are where the professor clearly states "electrostatic charge" not "electromagnetic pulse"

The Faraday cages he is showing would do a fine job of insulating against static charges and probably even an E2 and E3 pulse.. But not an E1.. not even remotely... A NEMP would penetrate both cages as if they weren't even there...

Im wondering how a gun safe would work as a faraday cage. They're made out of metal usually with some sort of interior padding so I think they must be somewhat effective. And speaking of EMPs, that's a good reason to prefer gun safes with purely mechanical locks as opposed to electrical ones.
It wouldn't.. A gun safe would probably have a very small attenuation.. not nearly enough to protect something electronic..

The charge is only on the exterior surface of the metal. Consider a shipping container. Buried it is already grounded well. I also think if your cage is tight enough, place it under water. The water would rapidly dispell any charges to ground long before damaging your articles. But if it ain't sealed up , the emp would have been nicer
Not sure about your shipping container, but mine has a wood floor that would make the entire thing transparent to an E1 pulse.

Now, putting the container underground would help.. but you still have the problem of the door.. ANY crack or opening could let an E1 pulse in. Of course it would certainly help attenuate the pulse being that it only has a small entrance and the container underground... but I wouldn't count on just that alone..

I am new to prepping for the possibility of an EMP, so please bear with me. The Faraday box, can, cage, etc. phenomenon, of which everyone has a solution, is very confusing / conflicting. Simple question: If I put a cell phone in a nylon pouch and seal it up tight in several layers of HD aluminum foil, would it be EMP protected?
Thanks in advance

the problem with an EMP is not the stuff that you might be able to protect but the stuff outside your control, like the electric grid, the computers in the filling station, the computers that control the traffic lights, the computers in the power station, any computer that control any sort of public access come to that.
good thing is that CCTV will be down too!

That part is understood; I just used cell phone as an example. I'm thinking more like handhelds like CB, Ham and other two-way communication devices. If they are in a box or a can, they're really not that portable on a day-to-day basis. However, if they are in an insulator, then wrapped in foil, then in a waterproof sleeve to protect the foil from damage, they could easily be kept in an EDC pack.

That part is understood; I just used cell phone as an example. I'm thinking more like handhelds like CB, Ham and other two-way communication devices. If they are in a box or a can, they're really not that portable on a day-to-day basis. However, if they are in an insulator, then wrapped in foil, then in a waterproof sleeve to protect the foil from damage, they could easily be kept in an EDC pack.

I’m under the impression that a faraday cage has to be in a grounded container. If so, it ain’t gonna work in EDC.

Of course, there are a lot of varying opinions out there.

Which reminds me to ask some friends who work for the military...

Well bigpaul.you should of seen and heard some of my neighbors.when we were without electric for 3 days.lol.

Well bigpaul.you should of seen and heard some of my neighbors.when we were without electric for 3 days.lol.
yeah, there was some guy on the news back along when they had a power cut in the south east, asked about it by some reporter he said " its like living in the middle ages", the power had only been off for about 24 hours!!! makes you wonder how they will cope when its off for good? not well probably.
I lived without power for 12 years and loved every minute of it but then I am a Neo Luddite!!!

Storing our sensitive items in an old microwave to stop them getting fried might be a good idea-

Microwave-Faraday.jpg

Incidentally I've EMP-proofed a spare radio (below) and keep it on a top shelf in my kitchen cupboard so that if an EMP or solar flare blows out other peoples electronics and they're wandering around asking "what happened?" I can use it to pick up news broadcasts (if there still are any) such as "UFO's landing everywhere", "Russian task force invading California", "Moon falling towards earth" etc.

First I wrapped it in a plastic bag, then wrapped it in several layers of tinfoil.
(the bag insulates it from the foil which the EMP/flare will be coursing through)-

emp-radio.jpg

I have a couple more basic questions on the need for a faraday cage:
1. Will devices such as my shortwave radio (solid state) that is NOT plugged in still need to be in a faraday cage? Will an EMP actually cause damage to something not running at the time?
2. Will solar panels require some sort of protection against an EMP themselves? Seems if they do that is quite a concern and planning on keeping electricity should the worst happen is useless.

Guys your car is also a faraday cage it's built from factory to Handel lightning strikes and its grounded with the rubber tires so for those who can't build them just use your car. Watch this video

But would not the windows allow EMP waves into the car?

That's the reason I don't think my home is a faraday cage -- windows. The entire rest of the home is surrounded by metal backing on the 2" foam panels AND by metal mesh on the entire home to hold the stucco in place. If it wasn't for the windows, I would think my home, too, would be an excellent faraday cage. Am I wrong on that?

That's the reason I don't think my home is a faraday cage -- windows. The entire rest of the home is surrounded by metal backing on the 2" foam panels AND by metal mesh on the entire home to hold the stucco in place. If it wasn't for the windows, I would think my home, too, would be an excellent faraday cage. Am I wrong on that?

there's a UTube of a lab test for galvanized Faraday cage - found the undetectable holes around the can handle rivits rendered the can useless ....

if you think a CONEX box or something like a Butler building can be 360 degree enclosed THAT TIGHT - good luck with the results ...

the Russians & Chinese will be using specially designed enhanced EMP nukes to go after the military - trying to knock out Cheyanne Mt and other buried NORAD facilities - likely they'll be exploding heart pacemaker right out people's chests .....

It's not. Your correct.

Latest posts

Back