Faraday Cage

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One could also use ammo boxes or even that military med box on the other thread.
If you do use a trash can, make sure the trash can is made of steel.
If the metal is non-conductive, its not gonna work.

Guys your car is also a faraday cage it's built from factory to Handel lightning strikes and its grounded with the rubber tires so for those who can't build them just use your car. Watch this video

That's quite interesting. I didn't know that the car's electronics would still work as well as have it start. That's great to know.

I wanna try and make somethin that the walkie talkies (Higher frequencies than normal radios) signal can't get thru. cuz technically, i have no idea what range of wavelength is the emp gonna be :confused:

This is part of the lecture series with MIT's Opencourseware program. I've taken quite a few of these classes.
Yea man!! damn good of them to have the opencourseware program! so much stuff to learn!

I just made a faraday cage out of a paint can. Lined it with cardboard similiar to the trash can video. Tested it out with the radio and it works! Pretty amazing. :D
sweet

Poor mans faraday cage. Ziplock baggy + foil on outside, repeat for good measure.

EMP is not at the top of my mind. Still it seems a bit wrong to go out and use money on Ham radio and other electronic stuff and not protect them. Even if should be with plastic bag and foil. That's what I will do. It will be stored in the basement most of the time anyway.

Lots of Faraday cages in the home: microwave, oven, fridge, dishwasher, dryer, washing machine....

I personally like the ones folks have made out of metal cabinets. The nice thing is, you can leave vital things stored in there (so if unexpected EMP, they are ok):
two-way radios, replacement electrical parts for your vehicles, flashlights, AM/FM radio, power tools, gas powered tools, etc.

I've also heard from some I consider to be experts in it, that even a large enough metal roof can shield things under it, if they are much smaller than the roof, during a pulse.

Trying to make a checklist of everything to keep in the cabinet.
Here's the list so far....

Open to any suggestions though:

TOOLS/PARTS

Chainsaw
Power Saw
Power Drill
Jig Saw
Electric Meter
Spare Truck Electronics
Spare Tractor, Generator, and Mower Electronics
Weed Whacker
Spare Batteries for Trucks, Tractor, Mower

COMMUNICATIONS

Handheld Radios and Chargers
Handheld HAM Radios and Chargers

POWER

Solar Battery Charger
Inverter
Batteries (rechargeable)
Bicycle-power generator

OTHER

Flashlights
MP3 Players
Jump Drives
Laptop (and peripherals)
E-Reader (loaded with survival books)
Night Vision Devices
Geiger Counter
DVD Player (with screen)
Digital Cameras
Aluminum Tape
Electronic Medical Equipment
Spare Truck Keys and FOBs

power tester for items that have power to them.a battery tester for testing batteries for how charged up they are and all.a emp proof garage/shed for vehicles,if you don't have that already.a rechargeable/portable jump starter for vehicles.mine has a lighter for cell phones.and a usb port for my nook.and it has a air compressor as well.i went into harbor fright the other day and bought a 120V-,80W direct plug-in power converter to plug into a car lighter for keeping it charged up.plus that'll come in handy if im out somewhere and have to air up a tire.oh yeah.i keep a 25 foot extension cord in the van as well.that way i can keep jump starter charged while using the air compressor..

Would be pretty difficult to shield the entire garage. From most tests, the construction of cars (at least those that aren't all fiberglass) makes them hold up surprisingly well to EMP. A pretty small percentage were affected, but granted, most large-scale tests are actually pretty old. I'll be a lot of modern vehicles are much more susceptible.

Latest posts

Back