Family prep.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kriptic

Reaction score
So I was thinking of way to get my kids involved in the prep and I came up with something.

I'm thinking of having a family prep class/training for me and my family. My kids, especially my 12 year old daughter, look at me a little askew as me and my wife have started prepping and planning.

Would only take about an hour, once a week. Topics might include, fire starting, water purification, etc. Even though that maybe after we all go over the basics of a specific topic, we could hold a little competition. First kid to build a small fire without a lighter or matches, gets off dish duty for a week or something.

I'm just really trying to educate my kids and get them prepared while making it fun.

Thoughts?

Any ideas for topics?

So I was thinking of way to get my kids involved in the prep and I came up with something.

I'm thinking of having a family prep class/training for me and my family. My kids, especially my 12 year old daughter, look at me a little askew as me and my wife have started prepping and planning.

Would only take about an hour, once a week. Topics might include, fire starting, water purification, etc. Even though that maybe after we all go over the basics of a specific topic, we could hold a little competition. First kid to build a small fire without a lighter or matches, gets off dish duty for a week or something.

I'm just really trying to educate my kids and get them prepared while making it fun.

Thoughts?

Any ideas for topics?
I have been able to get my 3 involved and they have enjoyed having their own bug out bags.
To start them I explained a scenario and hat them tell me what they felt was important to bring with them in an emergency situation.

I have them check out their bug out bags about once or twice a month to see if they would like to add or delete any items. As they grow older they become more cognoscente of what is actually needed versus what is not.

My two boys thinks its pretty awesome and they are all for it.

My two daughters on the other hand...

Thoughts?

Any ideas for topics?

Thats awesome, I do the same with mine, fire starting, knots and rope work all that kind of stuff. We are back packers so there is a lot of hands on training that he is not even aware of. I try to make games out of the stuff,
Setting up camp is turned into setting up a fort, Do we have the high ground ? escape route ? Water ? Etc. Really makes them feel involved in the decisions making. These lessons will be with them long after we are gone.

Thats awesome, I do the same with mine, fire starting, knots and rope work all that kind of stuff. We are back packers so there is a lot of hands on training that he is not even aware of. I try to make games out of the stuff,
Setting up camp is turned into setting up a fort, Do we have the high ground ? escape route ? Water ? Etc. Really makes them feel involved in the decisions making. These lessons will be with them long after we are gone.
Our youngest, of late, has become very concerned that her bug out bag is up to par, and she always makes sure it is in the right spot.

All 5 of my kids have been thrilled to help prep. My 9 year old daughter said that she will care for our rabbits and guinea pigs and all of our other four kids have been helping with the garden and they are so excited when something new sprouts. My oldest two who are 9 and 12 (girls) are always trying to help come up with new ideas while my youngest two girls and son (ages 4 (boy), 5, and 6) enjoy being involved. It's easy to get kids involved if you just talk to them about what they are interested in and determine what "task" they can make theirs or what they can help you with in an effort to help the family and feel good about themselves as well as to learn something about being prepared and what to do in an emergency situation.

All 5 of my kids have been thrilled to help prep. My 9 year old daughter said that she will care for our rabbits and guinea pigs and all of our other four kids have been helping with the garden and they are so excited when something new sprouts. My oldest two who are 9 and 12 (girls) are always trying to help come up with new ideas while my youngest two girls and son (ages 4 (boy), 5, and 6) enjoy being involved. It's easy to get kids involved if you just talk to them about what they are interested in and determine what "task" they can make theirs or what they can help you with in an effort to help the family and feel good about themselves as well as to learn something about being prepared and what to do in an emergency situation.

Yeah youngest two (boys 4 & 10) are totally into it. My oldest daughter (22) is relatively into it but with a cautious pessimism. My 12 year old daughter, on the other hand, just kinda looks at me like I'm crazy.

I am definitely not going to force it and hopefully she will join in, if she sees us having fun while doing it.

Yeah youngest two (boys 4 & 10) are totally into it. My oldest daughter (22) is relatively into it but with a cautious pessimism. My 12 year old daughter, on the other hand, just kinda looks at me like I'm crazy.

I am definitely not going to force it and hopefully she will join in, if she sees us having fun while doing it.
I am lucky that all of my kids are on board with prepping. If I had waited several more years, for one it might be too late, and for two I think my eldest two girls would look at me like I was crazy.

Thoughts?

Any ideas for topics?

All ideas on the post are great and like some have said make it a game, then as they progress in age and knowledge, progress it from being a game into more serious attention and training etc. And having a family prep class would be a awsome idea, one your gettin family time as well you all are prep training and sharing knowledge while training together.

Latest posts

Back