Eyeglasses

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuietH3art

Reaction score
As someone who wears glasses, I can tell you I would be useless if the SHTF and mine broke. I wanted to share a site where you can get prescription glasses as low as $6.95 a pair. I ordered 4 pairs of regular and 2 sunglasses for less than most people pay for just one pair of glasses.

zennioptical.com

Hope this helps someone... and hope I put it in the correct area.

As someone who wears glasses, I can tell you I would be useless if the SHTF and mine broke. I wanted to share a site where you can get prescription glasses as low as $6.95 a pair. I ordered 4 pairs of regular and 2 sunglasses for less than most people pay for just one pair of glasses.

zennioptical.com

Thanks!
I paid the full price to get an extra pair which I keep in my get-home-bag. I will definately be getting a spare pair for myself and the hubster.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

What I'm trying to find out is how you take a seg height of the bifocal without having the frame. I'm a retired optician. As far as the PD (Pupillary Distance )goes, you can get any optical place to do that for free, or have the Dr. write it on the Rx. I also don't see high index lenses.

An after thought:
Consider contact lenses. Bifocal contacts work well. Single Vision contacts in high prescriptons ( + & -) in disposable.

That is pretty darn awesome (the site). Thanks! (and yes, they have bifocals).
Contacts are great too, but having some extra glasses for the SHTF...is probably a better way to go.

And by the way, every pair of glasses from zenni comes in a decent hard plastic case that's very lightweight.

my "spares" are tinted and are "sports goggles". They stay on your face during violent movement and are very hard to break. You sometimes see basketball player wearing them.

I wear contact and they can be horrid during the SHTF period, but I will hopefully still be able to wear them. . . honestly I am legal blind without them. I really would hate to put on my coke bottle glasses during that period, but you do what you have to do.

Ihave astgimatism, which contacts don't fix very well. Sportgoggles, prescripton models, with a spare pair of regular glasses, is as far as I 'll go in the prepper line for this. I don't figure on being out in the open much, in daylight for at least a year after shtf. It will just be a poor risk/reward ratio.

I wasn't even thinking about prepping when I bought those 6 pairs of glasses. I was thinking I wear a lot of green so let me get these pale green rims and the silver ones for when I wear other colors and oooh I like the blue for sunglasses but I better get brown, too. I wasn't thinking about prepping when I bought them, I was thinking about fashion! Then I broke a pair. I had plenty more at hand to choose from instead of having to pay premium to get a new pair right away. Do any of us ever plan to break our glasses?

i dont plan it..it just happens when they break and/or wear out..i have sevral pair of reading glass's and sun glass's..dolor tree comes in mighty handly when it comes to both

i dont plan it..it just happens when they break and/or wear out..i have sevral pair of reading glass's and sun glass's..dolor tree comes in mighty handly when it comes to both
Dollar Tree is a great place to pick up reading glasses, but they can't fix my eye sight. I have to stick with prescriptions, but hunny is not so bad off. He had the Lasik, so he only needs them for reading now. I watched his surgery. . . sorry but there is NO WAY! You are awake, your eyelids are held wide open with a vise type contraption, and they cut and peel the clear "whatever you call it" off the pupil.

I really would hate to put on my coke bottle glasses during that period, but you do what you have to do.

They make thinner lenses options for such prescriptions. Mine would also be coke bottles, but not getting the thin lenses. They should be the recommended ones when you put in your prescription, and about a $10 upcharge as I recall.
I just ordered one each for two people in my household. If we like the quality, we'll then order 3 spares for everyone who uses them in the house, to have onhand as backups.

zennioptical.com

Thanks for sharing the great info !!!!!

They make thinner lenses options for such prescriptions. Mine would also be coke bottles, but not getting the thin lenses. They should be the recommended ones when you put in your prescription, and about a $10 upcharge as I recall.
I just ordered one each for two people in my household. If we like the quality, we'll then order 3 spares for everyone who uses them in the house, to have onhand as backups.
I know that they now make a thinner lens, but with my eye coverage plan, it only covers one, so I pick and choose. . . and I choose contacts. The coke bottles I have (which are about 27 years old now) are a back up though.

Latest posts

Back