Extreme Couponing

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thing I learned this weekend. Apparently, you CAN double up coupons at Publix IF you use the digital coupons too. So, potentially, you could have a digital coupon, a store coupon, and a manufacturer's coupon for the same item, and basically triple coupon it. We did this with some Mio drink drops, where we had a digital coupon, manufacturer's coupon, and it was buy one get one free in the store. Woo Hoo!

dried pasta and mashed potato flakes store just as long too.
add canned fruits too.
If able, home-canned is best. Keeps longer.

Other things that may not come to mind:
1. Spices (just because it is SHTF is no reason to not be civilized)
2. Salt
3. Flour
4. Sugar
5. Butter Powder (because regular butter won't keep, and making it is hard work)
6. Cheese Powder (same as with butter)
7. Evaporated Milk and Canned Milk
8. Cleaners and household chemicals (hard to make these after)
9. OTC Medications (coupon deals on these all the time, but to be honest, I get the best bang for the buck at Dollar stores. Tons of meds for a buck each (and just as good).
10. Sauces, marinades, condiments, etc.

Pretty happy with the other night's grocery trip. We got $218 worth of stuff for $118 between bogo's and coupons. I'll take 54% savings. I know others do better, but this is all stuff we use, no stockpiling.

Sadly, can't ever seem to find any deals on canned cat or dog food. For example, never a coupon or sale that is cheaper than getting a 4pm of 9-Lives cat food. Yep, even buying a 24 or 32 can case is actually more than the 4pm, per oz. Same with canned dog food.

I have found the best way to save money is buy stuff at the store when it's onsale only. When I see things on sale I buy up as much as I can. For instance this past week I bought 12 ham steaks that were on sale for $1.49 a pound each one was a little over 1 pound. However when it's not on sale it is $4.99 a pound. 2 months ago I bought 24 Hamburger helpers. This past week I saw the price of them and almost fainted the price is now $1.89 each, I paid 99 cents for the ones I bought. It's a great way to prep and to buy what you need while it is cheap. Also if you have a coupon that helps to.

2 months ago I found a coupon for dishwasher tabs in store, it was $2 off a package, the dishwasher stuff was on close out for $2.99 for a bag of 30 so I paid 99 cents for each package, I bought 5 packages. That buy wont be coming back again, however I have enough to last me for months.

I have found the best way to save money is buy stuff at the store when it's onsale only

Yep. You have to gradually work into it, but once you do, eventually, you'll have enough onhand to not need to buy outside of the sales...and that's a good spot to be in.

One other note, shop multiple stores! Different stores have different incentives. They are banking on you coming in for the deals, but buying other items at full price. But, if you just stick to sales, then go to another store and shop their sales, you will cover a lot more ground in getting items on your list, but all for sale prices.

Often, our rule is BOGO (buy one, get one free) only, or better yet, BOGO with a coupon. While our state doesn't double, we can use a manufacturer coupon and a store coupon together. What most folks don't realize, is that even while BOGO, you are still getting TWO items, so you can use a coupon on EACH item.

There are only a few items we get without a BOGO or coupons, but this is because:
1. They are a necessity (like canned cat or dog food, milk, or eggs, store brand bread)
2. Their everyday price is cheaper than other brands, even with coupons/sales, etc.

Main thing though, ALWAYS check the per oz. price, to see if you are really getting a deal (if on sale, you'll have to recalculate this number). Bigger isn't always cheaper.

Lucky for us we have 2 stores in our area and then if I drive further which I don't like to do then I have 4 different stores to go to. I usually just buy what they have on sale. This way I can keep our shelves stocked, as well as save some cash. Food lions around here though will not allow 2 coupons on items that are BOGO. I so wish they would but they wont. They will only allow one coupon on the one you are paying for. It sucks but I am still getting a deal.

Came in handy this week. Had some big unexpected expenses, which didn't leave much for groceries, but thanks to some stocking up, wasn't a problem, still had meals for 5, all throughout the week, without even going into prep stores.

That happened to us last year when my husband was robbed at gun point and lost all of our money along with his phone, and tons of work equipment he had in the van. Luckily we were stocked up big time and we made do for a month. I was more worried about him then the money and stuff that we could replace. However every so often in life something can and will happen, that is when being prepared comes in to help us out.

I am actually working on a large list of food to coupon to get at a local Costco. Here is my list I have:
  • A1
  • Bertolli Organic Olive Oil, Basil, & Garlic 4 pack
  • Blue Ribbon Rice
  • Reynolds Foodservice Foil
  • Contadina Diced Tomatoes
  • Del Monte Classic Fruit Cocktail
  • Del Monte Fancy Cut Green Beans
  • Del Monte Whole Kernel Corn
  • Dunkin’ Donuts Original Blend 40 oz.
  • Folgers Classic Roast Ground Coffee 48 oz.
  • Harvest All-Purpose Flour
  • Hidden Valley Ranch
  • Ketchup
  • Kirkland Bacon Crumbles
  • Kirkland Campbell’s Tomato Basil Bisque
  • Kirkland Clover Honey
  • Kirkland Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Kirkland Purified Bottled Water (40 bottles)
  • Kraft Macaroni and Cheese
  • Kraft Parmesan Cheese
  • Marie Callender’s White Chicken Chili w/ Beans
  • Prego Heart Smart Traditional 2 pack
  • Quaker Oats Old Fashioned Oatmeal
  • Swanson Chicken Broth
  • Top Ramen
  • Ziploc Gallon Freezer (4 total boxes)

ketchup and mustard are 2 things I buy lots of neither one will go bad for years. Mustard they say can last up to 50 years if you never open it. I ;ove parmesan cheese with buttered noodles, to me that is a meal all by itself. However sometimes, I will add some diced ham in it just to make it more of a meal.

I found out that Roses stores double coupons on Fridays up to 50 cents. I might be able to save some extra cash if I can do that. And of course Harris Teeter does it daily up to 99 cents if you have Vic card so I am going to get me one and start saving some cash. Might as well try and get some almost free stuff both stores are in Fuquay so I can go there and save some cash.

Latest posts

Back