Ex-military from CA.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I. Kane

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm an Army vet who is relatively new to the prepper movement, but have a solid knowledge base when it comes to survival since we were taught survival techniques in the military. I hope to learn as much as I can from you all as well as to contribute. As citizens of these United States I believe we should all be prepared as well as we can in the case of any looming disasters or emergencies. It's also pretty fun.:eek:

Anyway, thanks for having me.

Hi everyone,

I'm an Army vet who is relatively new to the prepper movement, but have a solid knowledge base when it comes to survival since we were taught survival techniques in the military. I hope to learn as much as I can from you all as well as to contribute. As citizens of these United States I believe we should all be prepared as well as we can in the case of any looming disasters or emergencies. It's also pretty fun.:eek:

LA might be hard to get out when something big happens. Water can be hard to come by there because it is sent in from Colorado river and from Sacramento area. Might want to look into a desaltation device there are smaller ones they make for boats then you can at least make fresh water from salt water if you cant get out of La area. Also store up extra fuel to get out of town for fuel to get to your bug out location. A off road truck with heavy duty bumper that can go around broken down cars or push them out of the way because most will run out of gas on the roads. Find and have different routes to bug out location. I have my garage bug out gear ready to throw in my truck if we have to get out quick. What did you do in the army I was 63b in the army then went into the marines. Did air assault at scholfeild in Hawaii I was the only marine and 200plus army in my class.

Good insights there Will. The Los Angeles Aqueduct actually brings most of the water into LA water from the Owens Valley which is north of us, but you're right that we get help from the other sources. I wouldn't want to be around Owens Valley if we get into a water shortage. Truthfully, I'm still trying to find a route that would work in bugging out. I know that the freeways will be a no-go but I'm close to the mountains here so could take some surface streets to smaller roads that wind up there. There are water sources in the mountains around here and you can set up some pretty defensible spots in that environment for PERSEC. Had a NDUR fliptop for water filration but broke it in the woods so going to get a new one. Any suggestions?

You are down there in AZ so I'd imagine water is even more scarce than it is here since it's more arid. Where are your plans for water? Heading to the coast? If not, where? Gotta run but will check back later...

howdy .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replys you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

yeah i beleave any part of calli that gets its water from else where.will revert back to the it was before man moved in..maybe a still especilly for stilling water only..and itd be for bugout location..map(s) of where you live at to where you want to bugout to.and when you have time.grab the maps and go rideing to learn those back roads.be it paved and dirt alike.learn which dirt roads throw up the least amount of dirt/dust..i hear filtration straws work pretty great..

Hi Jim, thanks for the welcome. Stilling is a great idea. I think an optimal place to bug out to would be a hidden mountain cave camo'd and booby-trapped. I could store some supplies in it for up to a year if need be. I would have to recon the whole area to get a lay of the land and secondary bug out locations should I have to retreat from my primary for any reason. I'd also pick a spot where I can overwatch the main point of entry and be locked n loaded with a scoped rifle and plenty of ammo.

So yeah I plan to make some trips to check out those roads and back roads as you suggested as well as a good bugout locale.

I see you're down in TX, what are you bugout plans if any?

--Ian

i find that a small amount of ppl in the immediate area not to be trusted very well if at all.especially when keeping mouth shut when needed.so i been looking for folks within a reasonable distance from me who not only can be trusted.but preppers as well.that way i can bug out,and have a good if not great location to go to.pluse i need to start looking for areas to bug out to if i need to get away from ppl,while i wait to go there untill i figure its safe to do so

Welcome! I'm a Vet myself, USN. Was living in San Berdoo when I joined. What part of LA are you in? I was born and raised in Calif. from one end to the other, spent my last years there in Santa Rosa and Sacramento. If you want to bug out I would suggest going to Northern Calif. east of the Sierrras. I have camped out in the Meriposa and Yosemite Park area and I'll tell you that it is really cold even in the spring. Also if you set up near a river or spring, if it rains up north the waterways wll rise quickly. I lost half of my camp that way, being too close to the water overnight, stupid. But the water is fresh and clean and there are plenty of materials to build a shelter. The Prepper site that you have just joined will more than take care of you. I'm still trying to gather it all in, create a handbook. Enjoy and learn, this place is fun really.

Hi everyone,

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Calif. Army Vet as well.

Latest posts

Back