Everyday shoes/boots for SHTF readiness

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He just likes to stir the pot SE. He thrives on confrontation. Best way to deal with him is what you and I have done, IGNORE.
I think this entire community will have him on IGNORE by the end of the year - surprised he hasn't been booted

I think this entire community will have him on IGNORE by the end of the year - surprised he hasn't been booted

2h84mww.gif

Stfu Silent. You have already been banned in several other forums. Your having a conversation with yourself.

In any case, I know this is an old thread, but I found out something interesting that may save your feet post SHTF or TEOTWAWKI.

Do you all remember men's sock garters?

It's a black elastic band that circles your upper calf, with a dangling clip to hold up your socks.

Well . . . if you're hiking and/or backpacking, they keep your socks from getting wrinkled inside your boots, so less friction, less blisters, and less Athlete's Foot. Also, a friend of mine says this helps prevent the aggravation of bunyons, corns, and ingrown toenails.

I tried it on a short day hike, and it worked. I would imagine that these things would help cheap, no-name socks perform like expensive, high-tech hiking socks in some ways . . . so would be a good bet in the Bug Out Bag or the Get Home Bag.

JUST TO BE CLEAR we are talking about something that goes around the top of your knee length hiking socks, not a garter belt. LOL
This
EHTKy5O.jpg

Not this
iu
Yes, this. What the elderly legs seem to show.

As a prepper and a survivalist, I don't care about how things look in an emergency situation. . . only that things work.

If you think sock garters are bad, consider where I promoted the idea of panty hose in a G.H.B. or B.O.B.. Panty hose protect you from leeches in the water.

Also protects you from biting ants, mosqueto bites, no see ums, and many other types of biting flies*.

Panty hose can be used to filter water, or provide an exellent breathable bandage to hold a dressing in place.

Panty hose protects you from a catfish called the Candiru (Vandellia Cirrhosa), which--supposedly--can swim up the urethra and get painfully lodged.

There is a serious school of thought that suggests that this fear of the Candiru fish is unjustified, and that nothing like this ever happened. It seems that these things--if they actully happened--could only happen in certian parts of South America . . . which is where this fish is native to.

Still . . . why tempt fate when pantyhose fixes this concern.

Post SHTF . . . I'd wear a ballerina tu-tu if I believed--at the time--that doing so could save my life.

If you buy pantyhose, go for no-run variety.

-----------------------
*No protection from horseflies, though. There seem to be these huge, biting flies that have--paradoxically--utterly beautiful eyes. As beautiful as their eyes are, they will bite through a cotton t-shirt and leave a nasty, raised welt that usually becomes infected if you don't disinfect it properly.

Panty hose is a fantastic idea for all the reason you stated.

Question, since I never know when the "event" will take place, should I be wearing the panty hose every day, just in case? With of without a garter belt?

(Just playing around here. No offense intended and totally agree with having some panty hose around. (Now, how do I explain to my wife why I am wearing panty hose.))

Panty hose protects you from a catfish called the Candiru (Vandellia Cirrhosa), which--supposedly--can swim up the urethra and get painfully lodged.

There is a serious school of thought that suggests that this fear of the Candiru fish is unjustified, and that nothing like this ever happened. It seems that these things--if they actully happened--could only happen in certian parts of South America . . . which is where this fish is native to.
http://web.archive.org/web/20040616043555/http://www.internext.com.br/urologia/Casosclinicos.htm

ike so many others they have now migrated over to top end civvy outdoor footwear PLUS uprated footbeds and better laces
index.php
My everyday shoes are very similar to this made by New Balance in Massachusetts.
It is the model 510v4 called the "Cushioning Trail Running Shoe" and is a very rugged shoe made for rough terrain.
iu

I would highly recommend Rockport for an everyday shoe that would fit all of your prepping needs. They are as comfortable as bedroom slippers right out of the box. They are durable, and will last for years. They are made for walking, and very reasonably priced. I have worn them for years, and never been disappointed.

Men's Rockport Prowalker M7100, Adult, Size: 8.5 M, Black

I haven't found a Rockport that I can even get my foot in, much less wear comfortably. New Balance is the only company that makes a toe box shaped like my toes, LOL. I wear New Balance size 13 4E.
New Balance shoes are Made in the USA and the UK...Rockport used to be but are mostly made in China now.

This is the New Balance shoe equivalent to the Rockport in the picture. Notice how WIDE it is at the front 😎
ctD6vic.png

I haven't found a Rockport that I can even get my foot in, much less wear comfortably. New Balance is the only company that makes a toe box shaped like my toes, LOL. I wear New Balance size 13 4E.
New Balance shoes are Made in the USA and the UK...Rockport used to be but are mostly made in China now.

This is the New Balance shoe equivalent to the Rockport in the picture. Notice how WIDE it is at the front 😎
ctD6vic.png

13 4E Are you kidding? :eek: Your feet must have their own Zip Code.

I can understand you choice of New Balance. Why would you buy any shoe if it wasn't comfortable? My Rockports will probably out last me, as will several other pairs of shoes I wear less frequently.

I loved the sketcher shape Ups. The had a really high arch with the thickest soft rubber cushion of any shoe I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately when they didn’t tone your butt just by wearing them like the advertising said they faced some lawsuits and are no more. I got several pairs and am down to one last one now. I think they caused some foot issues too as they were rounded on the bottom and your foot kind of rolled as you walked. No issues for me though other than the most comfortable shoe I ever wore. Wish I had bought about twenty pairs... some prepper I turned out to be.

Panty hose is a fantastic idea for all the reason you stated.

Question, since I never know when the "event" will take place, should I be wearing the panty hose every day, just in case? With of without a garter belt?

(Just playing around here. No offense intended and totally agree with having some panty hose around. (Now, how do I explain to my wife why I am wearing panty hose.))
Reminds me of the guy at the gym changing in the locker room. His buddy commented on the lacy underwear he had on. The guy said he has been wearing them ever since his wife found a pair just like them in the car.....

13 4E Are you kidding? :eek: Your feet must have their own Zip Code.
Not kidding. I can hardly find shoes that I can even get my feet into. New Balance is the only brand I can wear besides RedHead Bayou Snake Boots. Normal hunting boots don't fit unless I get two sizes too large, and then the arch support is in the wrong place. I went into a large shoe store one time and a pair of New Balance shoes was the only pair of shoes or boots in the store I could wear. That's how I found out about them.

Not kidding. I can hardly find shoes that I can even get my feet into. New Balance is the only brand I can wear besides RedHead Bayou Snake Boots. Normal hunting boots don't fit unless I get two sizes too large, and then the arch support is in the wrong place. I went into a large shoe store one time and a pair of New Balance shoes was the only pair of shoes or boots in the store I could wear. That's how I found out about them.
I have hobbit feet, small but extra wide! I have the same issue with having a hard time finding anything in a store to fit. Once I find a pair that’s good I usually have to order it in extra wide.

Latest posts

Back