Everyday shoes/boots for SHTF readiness

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must be talking to toexist because he'd the only person I have on ignore that is so rude. I can't see his posts, thank goodness...

I suggest you put him on ignore too. Click on his name then click on "Ignore" and you won't be harassed by him anymore!

Aaaah now I get it I thought this new guy was talking to me, Sorry Mr Seeker, I also have Toexist blocked so cannot see his posts, I gave up on him over the Texas floods thread ages ago.

I was a paramedic for over a decade, and I have strong opinions about survival footware that come from real life.

I am very prejudiced in favor of Corcoran 975 jump boots, but, in fairness, many other styles would probably work almost as well post SHTF. Doc Marten 10 eyelets (British made, not liscensed copies from China and Vietnam) are an excellent choice.

All my best.

FYI proper DMs takes some breaking in, we Brits use dubbin to help soften the leather, we often put a few 1/2 inch deep cuts around the top edge to allow better flexing as the top of DMs are not padded. If you use GENUINE DMs you also need a very sharp pocket knife and lighter in case of puncturing the air chamber ( boot sounds like a fart when you walk on it) Heat the blade with lighter and carefully heat weld the puncture closed.

Last edited:
I

2) Use Kiwi shoe polish with water and cotton balls (cloth diapers that have been washed a few times work well too) to polish them with several thin layers as opposed to a few heavy "goopy" layers. A soft toothbrush is good for the seams. Stay away from silicones, teflons, etc. unless you work in an extreme or exotic environment like a chemical plant, oil rig, or salt water. After polishing with Kiwi, buff the surface with pantyhose.

3) Substitute paracord for laces, and use odor eaters to help preserve the insoles.

All my best.
I swear by Kiwi PARADE gloss black polish used it on my service boots for years, I used to swap out polyester laces for leather hide laces as they expended and contracted with the boot.

Aaaah now I get it I thought this new guy was talking to me, Sorry Mr Seeker, I also have Toexist blocked so cannot see his posts, I gave up on him over the Texas floods thread ages ago.

You define the word lunatic.

Sorry no idea I dont live in the US, but the good ones require you to have your feet measured, try your local sports shops.
I always thought about lining a shoe with plastic wrap, filling it with a good quality silicone and stepping my wrapped foot into the mess. After it solidified it should make a perfect fit to your foot. I’m thinking you would have to sacrifice an old shoe or make a form to be able to lift your foot gently out. Just don’t know which kind of silicone product would wear well and last.

I was a paramedic for over a decade, and I have strong opinions about survival footware that come from real life.

I am very prejudiced in favor of Corcoran 975 jump boots, but, in fairness, many other styles would probably work almost as well post SHTF. Doc Marten 10 eyelets (British made, not liscensed copies from China and Vietnam) are an excellent choice.

So are Timberland work boots, Bates combat boots, and, possibly, Herman Survivors.

If you get Corcoran jump boots, keep a few points in mind:

1) They must be broken in, and this takes patience and time. The only real way to break them in is to wear them with whatever socks you plan to use. Don't take shortcuts like standing in water, or putting them in the freezer with plastic bags of ice. None of these shortcuts will work, and most of them will ruin your boots.

2) Use Kiwi shoe polish with water and cotton balls (cloth diapers that have been washed a few times work well too) to polish them with several thin layers as opposed to a few heavy "goopy" layers. A soft toothbrush is good for the seams. Stay away from silicones, teflons, etc. unless you work in an extreme or exotic environment like a chemical plant, oil rig, or salt water. After polishing with Kiwi, buff the surface with pantyhose.

3) Substitute paracord for laces, and use odor eaters to help preserve the insoles.

4) I love side-zipper jump boots...they look way cool (especially if you put a split ring in the hole in the zipper pull tab and tuck a pair of EMS trauma scissors in the top of your boot when you're wearing them...), but they should probably be avoided for survival purposes. It's another point of mechanical failure--I've had side-zipper boots become useless when the zipper got messed up--and aftermarker zippers are available which can be laced into the front of the boot. If you use such zippers, lube them up with Chapstick once in a while.

5) If you can, buy two identical pairs of boots, and alternate wearing them so that they wear evenly.

6) Post SHTF, it might make sense to make "boot sandals". You cut a piece of car tire a little larger than the sole of your boot, and strap it on your boot in the way that you'd strap on a sandal. This will preserve the sole if you are trekking across rough terrain, but be careful because this may affect your balance...especially if you have a pack.

7) Do not dry leather jump boots in the oven or hot sunshine or with a hair dryer.

8) If you carry a boot knife with a metal clip, check the leather surfaces from time to time to make sure that the repetitive motion of walking isn't gradually eating a hole in the top of your boot.

If you follow these ideas, a pair of boots should last many years. They can be resoled.

The steel shank in a Corcoran jump boot protects against a junkie's dirty needle and broken glass, there is excellent ankle support for when you carry a B.O.B., the higher top of the boot provides good protection from venomous snakes (although snake chaps work better), and the higher top helps protect from ticks and biting ants.

The work environment of an EMS paramedic seems, to me, like it would be a good model for post SHTF as far as footware goes.

I don't claim to have a monopoly on truth, and with descisions as important as footware, you should get as many opinions as possible.

I hope I was helpful.

All my best.
All good advice, and especially liked #5.

I have really high arches and have never found a comfortable pair of boots. I’ve got a few that were wearable, but never comfortable. I really like a lot of soft padding between me and the ground. If I could find some sturdy boots with a lot of soft cushion I’d be willing to pay top dollar. Couldn’t care less about brand name though.

I always thought about lining a shoe with plastic wrap, filling it with a good quality silicone and stepping my wrapped foot into the mess. After it solidified it should make a perfect fit to your foot. I’m thinking you would have to sacrifice an old shoe or make a form to be able to lift your foot gently out. Just don’t know which kind of silicone product would wear well and last.

The problem with that is orthotics need various densities of rubber / silcone/ semi rigid springing to be comfortable an effective, my son has to have them in his shoes, they cost us over £200 , he has overpronation and under developed arches so he has suffered for years. These orthotic insoles are not cheap ( Vacuum formed by a podiatrist) but by god they have made a world of difference. my sons footbeds are made up of four different types of material.

https://www.jameshoggpodiatry.co.uk...MIpqnvhv361wIVS7ftCh3VRwPoEAAYASAAEgLlz_D_BwE

So are Timberland work boots, Bates combat boots, and, possibly, Herman Survivors.

If you get Corcoran jump boots, keep a few points in mind:

1) They must be broken in, and this takes patience and time. The only real way to break them in is to wear them with whatever socks you plan to use. Don't take shortcuts like standing in water, or putting them in the freezer with plastic bags of ice. None of these shortcuts will work, and most of them will ruin your boots.

4) I love side-zipper jump boots...they look way cool (especially if you put a split ring in the hole in the zipper pull tab and tuck a pair of EMS trauma scissors in the top of your boot when you're wearing them...), but they should probably be avoided for survival purposes. It's another point of mechanical failure--I've had side-zipper boots become useless when the zipper got messed up--and aftermarker zippers are available which can be laced into the front of the boot. If you use such zippers, lube them up with Chapstick once in a while.

5) If you can, buy two identical pairs of boots, and alternate wearing them so that they wear evenly.

6) Post SHTF, it might make sense to make "boot sandals". You cut a piece of car tire a little larger than the sole of your boot, and strap it on your boot in the way that you'd strap on a sandal. This will preserve the sole if you are trekking across rough terrain, but be careful because this may affect your balance...especially if you have a pack.

7) Do not dry leather jump boots in the oven or hot sunshine or with a hair dryer.

8) If you carry a boot knife with a metal clip, check the leather surfaces from time to time to make sure that the repetitive motion of walking isn't gradually eating a hole in the top of your boot.

If you follow these ideas, a pair of boots should last many years. They can be resoled.

The steel shank in a Corcoran jump boot protects against a junkie's dirty needle and broken glass, there is excellent ankle support for when you carry a B.O.B., the higher top of the boot provides good protection from venomous snakes (although snake chaps work better), and the higher top helps protect from ticks and biting ants.

The work environment of an EMS paramedic seems, to me, like it would be a good model for post SHTF as far as footware goes.

I don't claim to have a monopoly on truth, and with descisions as important as footware, you should get as many opinions as possible.

I hope I was helpful.

All my best.

Thank you! I really like the workboots timberland offers

What is wrong with this Nutjob Toexist hes now accusing new members of being ME? FYI I have not seen any of this nutters posts since his nonsense posts about the floods in TX when he said TV footage of the old ladies in flood water was fake.

What is wrong with this Nutjob Toexist hes now accusing new members of being ME? FYI I have not seen any of this nutters posts since his nonsense posts about the floods in TX when he said TV footage of the old ladies in flood water was fake.

It's no secret you have been banned from several forums already Silent. Lately u have been slipping. Next time you create another fake account try to tone it down and make it a little less obvious. Lowlife English peasant.

He just likes to stir the pot SE. He thrives on confrontation. Best way to deal with him is what you and I have done, IGNORE.

Dr doesn't even know wtf is going on here. He blocked me because he lost a debate about trophy hunting months ago to which HE confronted me in a thread I started.

Instead of being a grown up and conceding that he doesn't have all the answers...he blocked me and ran away like a little petty school boy.

Since his overall participation has gone way down in general. Now every time he reads my name he chimes in without having the slightest clue as to what is going on.

He just likes to stir the pot SE. He thrives on confrontation. Best way to deal with him is what you and I have done, IGNORE.

Also find it humorous that this senile old man is telling Silent Earth that I stir the pot. I'm not the one whom has made multiple fake accounts and has been banned in several other forums.

Compare the threads I have started to Silent Earths and it will quickly be revealed who the confrontational one is.

I see these "Show Ignored Content" buttons and so I know that toexist is still trying to stir the pot. It's like having him locked up in an Isolation Chamber that you can see into. You can see him trying to talk, but you can't hear a word he's saying. Remember that old song by Frankie Valli

Silence is Golden, but my eyes still see

ROFL

I see these "Show Ignored Content" buttons and so I know that toexist is still trying to stir the pot. It's like having him locked up in an Isolation Chamber that you can see into. You can see him trying to talk, but you can't hear a word he's saying. Remember that old song by Frankie Valli

ROFL

well-bye-animated-gif.gif

Your the one who is talking about me Dr...someone whom you allegedly blocked months ago.

And you call me a troll.

ROFL

This is gold

Latest posts

Back