escape by water!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterWORLDescape

Reaction score
Just looking for feedback from people who need a new plan or a plan B For escape on how much interest there would be on purchasing a spot on a large sailing vessel that would.be fully prepped for all doomsday situations. It would almost be a doomsday time share that would be available in times of emergency.

HAHAHAHA! I'M ABOUT TO MOVE TO FLORIDA AGAIN.... When I get down there, we can go in on a boat!LOL... Maybe we can get others to pitch in and we can just sail around living it up if nothing ever happens! If it doesn't, then maybe folks can get down there in time to catch us before things get too hot and we have to set sail! Alabaster would prefer a fishing boat over a sail boat though.... Even though it's not necessarily a good idea for a prepper boat....:p

While a boat certainly has advantages, there are some challenges:
1. Do you have resupply options/plans?
2. You can't grow much on a boat.
3. What about fresh water? Desalinization?
4. The cargo area and sleeping areas would take up all the ship!
5. Limited space and fully prepped don't usually go well together.
6. Any illness is going to quickly spread through the whole boat.
7. What real guarantee would folks have that the boat hasn't left already? Along with their money, and just certain folks? None.

Hey welcome, your idea seems to be getting shot down but I think it might be practical as a BOV if your BOL is an island (that is fully prepped) my 2 cents but welcome aboard (couldn't resist the pun)

I'm not shooting it down. Just that there are challenges. On the plus side, no traffic worries, ability to get to very remote locations, and the ocean is a big place...not likely to deal with many looters.
Another challenge though: Pirates. So now you also have to have weapons and ammo stored. (and the possibility of all of it being sunk).

Just looking for feedback from people who need a new plan or a plan B For escape on how much interest there would be on purchasing a spot on a large sailing vessel that would.be fully prepped for all doomsday situations. It would almost be a doomsday time share that would be available in times of emergency.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Last night I was thinking that safety by water was a great idea compared to being ambushed on land.

On land you can run and hide though. On the water, you can only run or fight, and if an enemy ship is faster and has more crew and/or arms, then you have NO options. You're a sitting duck for MILES.... If you have radar though, you could try and steer clear of them before they detect you.

True....but looking at land options, do you go underground or above? Are we looking at economy collapse or earthquakes, floods, fire, looting etc.? Where is the safest place to be? I haven't started yet, but I am very serious about it and plan on getting ready immediately.

Nobody knows what SHTF event may take place, so all we can do is kind of generally prep for anything, whether it be a storm that knocks out power for weeks, or the entire collapse of modern civilization. You may be in a difficult spot being in Atlanta. Major metro area, so all kinds of chaos in any SHTF scenario. One thing you may hear, is that with the collapse of the electrical grid, all the nuke plants will meltdown. Luckily, Atlanta is out of the hot zone for this, so there's one sigh of relief. One thing about any major SHTF event, is that the power will go out and for a long time.

Rural areas are safest. Also, they tend to have wells (i.e. a replenishable water supply). Of course, you also have to be realistic about what you can and can't do. For example, I'm sure you have a life in Atlanta. Prepping is fine, but nobody should let it override actually enjoying life too, so try not to let it get you down. You can still prep in the city too. Are you in the city proper, or a suburb, etc.? House, apartment? Will be different strategies for each.

I am looking for land, preferably very remote, but quick to get us there. Top of a mountain is ideal. Access very limited. I don't think I want to be this close to the action, so I would leave Atlanta immediately. I have and inside person...so when things are going to start happening, I will get a heads up to get moving.

I have and inside person...so when things are going to start happening, I will get a heads up to get moving.
Pass it along to us to, eh?

Remote is good, as is limited access route. Be sure to check the map for those nuke plants though. That WILL happen if the power goes out for good (regardless of scenario), so you don't want to get the fallout from it.

nukes.png

The circles represent the 50 mile radius, the plumes are based on wind direction of a particular date (and will likely be different, so assume that plume around the whole circle).
Radiation is really the most dangerous right after the event. The risk goes down exponentially even in a short, short time.

Whatever your location, also remember your budget. The farther out you are, the more it may cost to have some things done. A well for instance, is pretty much a necessity, and could cost thousands.

Sounds like this place would be more of a retreat, so if you won't be there most of the time, be sure any preps are well secured, and/or hidden.

Me, I think of preps in categories. Then, within the categories, figure out what you need, and how you will solve the challenge.

WATER - Most important
FOOD - Second most important. Seeds are also good to have. Since you won't be growing anything until you have to use this location. There are lots of foods that can keep for YEARS.
SHELTER - kind of a given in this case, but you have to decide on getting an existing structure or building one.
WEAPONS - Need to protect yourself
POWER - Whether wood, generators, solar, etc., you'll need SOME kind of power source to cook, heat, etc.
LIGHT - Candles, oil lamps, electric lights, etc.
MEDICINE - Stock all you can, but look for herbal alternatives that could be grown too. (more seeds to have). Includes stocking first aid items.
SANITARY - Toilet paper, cleaners, etc.
ENTERTAINMENT - Games, etc. something to make up for no TV or Internet
COMMUNICATIONS - A way to communicate with your family members now that cell phones are no longer an option (two-ray radios, for example)

Everything else is pretty much icing on the cake. YOU will know what your family needs, but we'll certainly be glad to help point you in the right direction or at least a direction.

True....but looking at land options, do you go underground or above? Are we looking at economy collapse or earthquakes, floods, fire, looting etc.? Where is the safest place to be? I haven't started yet, but I am very serious about it and plan on getting ready immediately.

I have prepped for earthquakes, I have GHB bags in the cars, the bags are for three days. Once home i am set to move if needed. I have two secondary location and a third as back up, Thanks to a member here. Personally natural disaster is my main concern and the crap that comes with it. That's just me and everyone has different needs and ideas.

Quick note:

BOB = Bug Out Bag.... GHB = Get Home Bag. We preppers are big on acronyms. SHTF = Sh*t Hit The Fan. TEOTWAWKI = The End Of The World As We Know It, etc.

Pass it along to us to, eh?

Remote is good, as is limited access route. Be sure to check the map for those nuke plants though. That WILL happen if the power goes out for good (regardless of scenario), so you don't want to get the fallout from it.

View attachment 1396

The circles represent the 50 mile radius, the plumes are based on wind direction of a particular date (and will likely be different, so assume that plume around the whole circle).
Radiation is really the most dangerous right after the event. The risk goes down exponentially even in a short, short time.
Whoa are those nuke power plants? I had no idea there were so many! Ya, give us a heads up if ya can ;) And welcome to the forums!

Whoa are those nuke power plants? I had no idea there were so many!

Yep, and come any kind of SHTF event that makes the grid go down permanently, this is a HUGE disaster waiting to happen, that will almost certainly happen if they all lose power.
Luckily, some may be inactive, but I've had not much luck in researching how much of a difference that would make, since the info on how much is still there needing containment isn't too public, it seems.
The only one close to threatening us has been shut down a while now, so I'd like to know. (Crystal River, FL)

Latest posts

Back