EMT TRAINING

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris

Reaction score
Something just hit me, I did a combat medic course in the military witch did serve me well at the time, but that was 20 years ago.... so have decided to do a refresher at the local teaching hospital it is a two week course that is classroom based and then 200 hours working in the emergency room, this is all followed by an exam and practical test. The way I look at it is as a very worthwhile expense that may save my life or the life of a loved one someday.

Something just hit me, I did a combat medic course in the military witch did serve me well at the time, but that was 20 years ago.... so have decided to do a refresher at the local teaching hospital it is a two week course that is classroom based and then 200 hours working in the emergency room, this is all followed by an exam and practical test. The way I look at it is as a very worthwhile expense that may save my life or the life of a loved one someday.
Not a bad idea. the more knowledge you have with practical stuff the better off you will be. If nothing else it is another job you could get should you enjoy that type of career. I have wanted to take the EMT course at my local junior college.

Hi Clydesdale, the way I look at it is the more knowledge the better my chances of not just surviving but thriving. Over the next couple of months I am planing to do several practical courses.

Not a bad idea. the more knowledge you have with practical stuff the better off you will be. If nothing else it is another job you could get should you enjoy that type of career. I have wanted to take the EMT course at my local junior college.
I am lucky enough to get cpr training once a year, would like to take the EMT class also.

i took CPR and first aid in the Union, its required.
but do to my clutzy family going to the hospital 2-3 times a month, and my mother having M.S. and Epelepsy, and my mother in law having (too long to list) sergeries at least twice a year (yet still fiesty as hell LOL) and me being their caretaker at one point or another, and also an uncle high up as a sergical tech. i have an extensive knowledge in medical stuff (for a commoner) although its no substitute for proper training.

however, ive heard reports that during a SHTF situation, medical knowledge is so sought after, that people will kidnap, and/or kill to get you to do what they need you to do. im not to sure the validity of this, but if SHTF, id keep quiet about my medical knowledge unless a need too situation arises.

Im a firefighter/paramedic by profession. Let me know if you have any questions on getting started with school. Been doing it for 16 years.

Im not at instructor for that, but a friend of mine has developed an online course and you would have to show up to a training center to perform all the hands on skills. I can get the information if youre interested.

i took a semester class for EMT-B, and it was very informative. the way i see it, i can slow down the dying process of someone. if some one might die, i can a least extend the life left to get to a near by hospital/clinic/veterinarean.
i can splint, wrap, sling, bandage, give injections/take out blood (one month as medical assitant school), search for hidden injuries.

it was fun. informative. if you can take a class, take it. or at least take a cpr class. cpr is perhaps the most important thing as a first responder.

3 main thing you have to worry about.
1. airway
2. breathing
3. circulation.

these were some of the fundamentals that were taught. and perhaps the most critical to learn how to assist in.

i was thinking about a EMT or at least a first aid course. that would be a pratical idea. the more experience one has the more they become a valueable asset.

if no one has the time for a semester of E.M.T.-B. a good CPR class is still good. most ae 1-2 days only. versus a semester. unless you decide to go in the summer, then it's only a couple of months.

take just an emr course instead, because it generally the same thing

EMT-B vs CPR, big difference. If an on line course is available, this would be very nice as life seems busy. EMT-B vs EMT-P, drugs and advance airway. And the training never stops.

Latest posts

Back