EMP's and cars?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would an EMP disable a car permanently or would the body act as a faraday cage?

• Total voters
i know someone with 2 above ground tanks.1 for diesel,and the other for regular.they both set higher then the gas tanks on vehicles and farm equipment...the hose and nozzle coming from the tanks,is the same as on the pumps at gas stations..so all a person has to do..is insert the nozzle and squeeze the handle like we do at gas stations.and gravity does the rest..

here's what im talking about
farm_fuel_storage_tanks_500_obo_osage_county_8845728.jpg

this link will show more of them
https://www.google.com/search?q=abo...011%2F04%2Fnew-regs-farm-fuel-storage;300;225

Last edited:
Yep, that is pretty much exactly what I'm going for.

Just like your friend, plan is one for regular, one for diesel. (I'd like to say two for diesel, but honestly, would be VERY expensive to fill two of them).

The actual dispenser nozzles are relatively easy to find also.

A EMP would affect the grid more then the electronic in your home including the car, simply turning off and unplugging the components may be sufficient. Cars and microwave ovens is a poor choice for an EMP defense! Newer vehicles with computer components 'may' be affected and that really depends on the strength of a EMP event, to many variables for any certainty! Microwave ovens only 'contains' the 2.4ghz range (the frequency these ovens operate in) EMP is very very broad frequency spectrum, to protect against this range would require complete isolation thus vehicles and microwave ovens don't offer any protection against a major EMP event!!

Our Faraday made in the USA $21 10gal can
faraday.jpg

You can just use a manual drum/barrel pump, easier than building a structure.

http://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-45743.html

Not as easy to use as a gravity feed, but good exercise.

As for phones, I sometimes turn mine off to save power and remember a week later that it's still off :) I have very little use for a phone although it's real handy at times of course.

I think BOTH of the quiz questions are wrong an EMP can cripple a car but not permanently, stuff like relays could fuse shut as a DC current is generated, fuses, bulbs, relays could pack up. But the hard part is vehicles with electronic security systems that could be shorted or damaged or the system thinks its being tampered with and dumps its memory. unfortunately many vehicles not only have security coded chips in the IGNITION system but also often in the FUEL system. My old Ford Van was a diesel with coded keys, when someone tried to steal it the codes that allowed it to work were dumped by the Ignition controls and the fuel lift pump.

Some research by the UK military suggested batteries could be killed and stuff like starter motors become demagnetised or something if enough energy is passed through them.

Some AMERICAN preppers have deliberately bought or BACK dated their vehicles with stuff like MECHANICAL fuel lift pumps, AIR starters and remounted or retrofitted cranking handle lugs on the crank shafts. Some I know keep spare ignition modules, fuses, relays etc in tin boxes as spares incase of EMP.

Though I believe the only way a battery could be damaged by an EMP if it is connected, the affects of lightening striking a car doesn't kill it! lightning E2 exceeds the 50k volts per meter that a nuclear E2 produces, I have read that lightening striking vehicles have popped fuses but no serious damage to the electrical system. The affects is more pertinent to the grid given the long wire runs acting as antennas! If you are within a certain vicinity of a EMP weapons (directed energy weapon) then all bets are off.

I'm not skilled or experienced in EMP issues only what I was taught in the military, which was not much, one point I can remember that if a moving vehicle was thoroughly wet from say heavy rain or driving through water and the water was splashed all over the vehicle a lightning strike MAY pass straight to earth as normal but some of the energy will go through the body and electrics as well causing trouble.

as my car is only 7 years old and is fitted with an onboard electronic system I am EXPECTING it to be unusable post EMP, I am working on the basis that it will so if it isn't then that's a bonus..if you get my drift, but erring on the side of caution.

Some I know keep spare ignition modules, fuses, relays etc in tin boxes as spares incase of EMP.

Cool idea if you can swing it.

I would have thought an EMP would fry the battery.

There hasn't been any unclassified tests on the affects of an EMP against batteries connected or not though a solar EMP wouldn't affect batteries. I would say for the most part a nuclear EMP wouldn't affect a battery though I always had the question 'will it can it' since those can't be answered with 100% certainty I air on the side of caution and keep my batteries and LED lights in a faraday cage, In most of the unclassified tests even though flawed have shown no affects on car batteries but the tests performed are not of a full power nuclear EMP explosion that would be expected 150-250 miles up in time of war though a hi-alt 1.4MT tests performed in 1962 (starfish prime) played havoc in the Hawaiian islands and New Zealand but had no reported affects on car batteries.

It's all about how MUCH EMP something is hit with. In the last EMP Commission tests (which were years ago), only a small percentage of cars were severely affected. Most started right back up. My worry is the newer cars where the steering is all electronic, meaning a sudden power loss = out of control vehicle. Can you imagine the amount of accidents that will cause in an EMP attack? That is going to be horrific. Cars careening off bridges, overpasses, etc. when going 70 mph and now no steering. Scary.

Latest posts

Back