EMP shields

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My small 3500 gas gen has only pull start. My larger 7500 dual fuel has battery and pull start.
Would unhooking the battery be sufficient to protect?

No , it's the electronic starter that can be fried. If it does you can still pull start it.

@Proud Prepper In a previous conversation, you had suggested a Shield on the DC side and AC side of the Gen. The shields would be more than the Gen cost.
I am sold on a Shield but in the current situation don‘t see it working. 200A service split on outside, 100 Amp panels on either side of the house. No room in one box, plenty in the other.
New place I could see it working. Single box 200a with room.

@Proud Prepper In a previous conversation, you had suggested a Shield on the DC side and AC side of the Gen. The shields would be more than the Gen cost.
I am sold on a Shield but in the current situation don‘t see it working. 200A service split on outside, 100 Amp panels on either side of the house. No room in one box, plenty in the other.

The DC side is for the electric starter powered by the battery on the home generator that does not have a pull start and the ac emp shield is to protect the digital electronics in the gen. If your generator is not electronic and has a pull starter no EMP shield is needed for your battery and starter, they dont need to work for the generator to be operational. You would only need to protect everything connected to your home wiring using an EMP shield on your 200amp breaker panel.

After an EMP you connect your generator to your home breaker panel that has a home emp shield and the generator then becomes protected with everything else plugged into that electrical system. The only thing not protected is your electronic starter that is connected to your non protected 12v battery.

To protect my $4500 generac it cost me about $625 for both the emp shields.

The DC side is for the electric starter powered by the battery on the home generator that does not have a pull start and the ac emp shield is to protect the digital electronics in the gen. If your generator is not electronic and has a pull starter no EMP shield is needed for your battery and starter, they dont need to work for the generator to be operational. You would only need to protect everything connected to your home wiring using an EMP shield on your 200amp breaker panel.

After an EMP you connect your generator to your home breaker panel that has a home emp shield and the generator then becomes protected with everything else plugged into that electrical system. The only thing not protected is your electronic starter that is connected to your non protected 12v battery.
Trying to get your explanations out to everyone.

The shields for that gen cost about as much as my 7500 dual fuel. But I have the pull start. Trying to put it into a budget for what they can do.

Last edited:
Trying to get your explanations out to everyone.

The shields for that gen cost about as much as my 7500 dual fuel. But I have the pull start. Trying to put it into a budget for what they can do.

For that generator you wouldn't necessarily need an emp shield. Just one for your house panel.

Wouldn't any kind of generator have to have some kind of electronics to regulate the voltage? I ask because I really don't know how a generator does that, I just know it has to give it more gas when the load increases.

Wouldn't any kind of generator have to have some kind of electronics to regulate the voltage? I ask because I really don't know how a generator does that, I just know it has to give it more gas when the load increases.
There's many variables. EMP types and strengths. How harder or vulnerable your equipment is.

The more modern and advanced the more electronics and the greater risks, but if there not plugged in or being used only a high energy EMP will make it irreparable. The first thing to go would be a an electronic starter and digital control module. A pull starter is ideal and Xtra protected parts would be useful.

Many models have pre-installed interference suppressor inside it that likely protects the alternator, engine and outlets from low and medium EMP. Without a EMP shield or a faraday cage your taking a chance. You have to determine your Risk vs. Reward and if your willing to take a chance.

What about what your generator is going to provide electricity for? Do those things still work? Does your home wiring, breakers and panel still function?

Speaking of "many types" of EMP, sometime in the 70s I was sitting in a 67 Mustang convertible, in Poquoson, Va....probably somewhere I wasn't supposed to be, listening to music on the radio, when what I think was an A10 Warthog, (maybe from Norfolk Naval Station?) flew in low, almost directly over me and instantly my radio made a pop sound and never worked again! I got out of there fast, (my Mustang engine still started!) but not too fast, because the road I was on had huge potholes, some large enough to swallow a motorcycle or compact car! I never went back there, but I've always wondered if that plane had some microwave or mini EMP device that was designed to knock out enemy communications or radar in advance of other planes? Or was it just coincidence?
That was most likely an Intruder equipped with radar jamming equipment or Electronic Warfare Equipment. A-10's are ground attack support aircraft.

That was most likely an Intruder equipped with radar jamming equipment or Electronic Warfare Equipment. A-10's are ground attack support aircraft.
Wow, I think you're right. It was the big, rounded nose I remembered.
Probably an A-6 Intruder or an EA-6B Prowler maybe from Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, NC.

It doesn't matter if the shield cost as much or more than the generator. Is the total cost worth it to you to have that electricity generation after an EMP or power surges?

Each unit is made to protect a certain operational voltage. What do you not see working? They can be mounted on the outside of a box, don't need room inside.

You can call them and consult with them on what you need to protect your system.

The other thing is... If there really is an heavy EMP, for how long last the fuel for your generator?
Depends where the EMP hits our civilisation and how heavy - but i don't believe all the oil raffineries are EMP protected. And of course none of the trucks who transport the fuels.
And IF they are still working after an EMP i don't think the Military and the Government are willing to share with you.

An generator makes sense by an brown- or blackout for a few hours up to one, maybe two weeks. If it ladts longer i won't have the only illuminated house in the street anyway.

It doesn't matter if the shield cost as much or more than the generator. Is the total cost worth it to you to have that electricity generation after an EMP or power surges?

Each unit is made to protect a certain operational voltage. What do you not see working? They can be mounted on the outside of a box, don't need room inside.

You can call them and consult with them on what you need to protect your system.
I am dealing with a 70s off grid house that finally got power in the mid 90s. So I have a bit of a weird set up

From their installation instructions, I have an issue with #5. Double tap Shield with branch circuit. BIG NO NO in the 3 states i have lived in. Building and home inspectors put this as their number 1 look for.

IMG_0356.png

The way around that is to put on its own breakers. I have room in one of my 100A panels. But absolutely no space in the other. From an outside box, they are separate systems

I won’t have an issue with new place adding new breakers

Latest posts

Back