EMP question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faulkner

Reaction score
I am just now starting to get into prepping. Today a friend and I were talking about an EMP attack. The subject about having any form of electricity came up so he suggested having a solar power or using magnets as a source of power to run radios. Would any of that really work?

solar power yes,with magnets I have no clue.
if my memory serves me right I think both Maverick ,Silent Bob and Silent Earth have all posted alot about this subject,try that thread ; Disasters,there should be some reading on emp.

Last edited:
I am just now starting to get into prepping. Today a friend and I were talking about an EMP attack. The subject about having any form of electricity came up so he suggested having a solar power or using magnets as a source of power to run radios. Would any of that really work?

Solar still has wires running to it, wires run to the inverter/voltage regulator etc..., yes an EMP can still take down your solar grid

EMP may effect ferrite magnets but not Lodestone (magnitite ore) so it depends if it's natural or man made, most modern mechanical compasses made today use ferrite magnets as an example.

To many variables to come to a absolute conclusion, much of the scare tactics regarding EMP are based on either theory, hypotheticals, myths or pseudo science or money or a combination of all 5. What we do know regarding EMP damage are from the past not from the modern world we live in today so for the most part it is in theories since the modern world hasn't experienced any of the modern hypotheticals regarding EMPs. I guess my point is, plan for whatever you decide to use to fail.

Just so you know, there are a LOT of misconceptions (and unknowns) about EMP. Most of what we know (or think we know) is from ONE study done years ago....and it wasn't really using a big enough sample size.

I've read a lot about emp's and agree no one knows how bad it would affect things today. There's also the strength of the emp to consider when trying to evaluate its affects. Anyway you look at it, prepping is about covering your bases on things you feel might disrupt your life. I haven't considered trying to harden or shield any of my options for power generation, but I have invested in several hand tools. In particular, without electricity fire will be really important. It will be used for lighting, cooking/preserving, warmth, and for people like me, heating water to bathe in. ( I really can't stand a cold bath!). So I have several axes, mauls, splitting wedges, bow saws and ways to gather and split firewood. I have put considerable time into 'covering bases' to make life more comfortable in a world without electricity. Now I only hope I never have to actually experience it.

The bigger challenge is doing it without running water.

I lived without running water for 3 or 4 years when I was living in the Colorado mountains. I was living in a camper trailer/shack at the time, to keep expenses low, while I was building my business. I did have some electricity & propane (cookstove) & a wood burning stove, so 'no water' wasn't exactly as big of a deal. And, a couple of years ago our well here quit working, so I let it go for a couple of months before I got it fixed....just so our girls could get a feel for 'life without running water'. It's inconvenient, but not too terribly hard to get used to.

or using magnets as a source of power to run radios
The only thing that comes to mind for this is using a permanent magnet motor as a generator. These work fairly well, but can take considerable torque (sometimes) to get & keep them turning......depending on the motor. With big enough wind blades or other turning device, it is manageable. One problem to keep in mind with motors like this is the danger of breaking/cracking one of the permanent magnets. If that happens, the motor is done. No fixing it.

I have been without hot water for over a week. Hot water heater went on the blink and no cash to buy one right now....It sucks like hell.
Tell me you're at least heating some up on a stove or something! I truly can't stand a cold bath or shower. At least a warm washcloth and a bucket it more bearable. I feel for ya dude.

I have been without hot water for over a week. Hot water heater went on the blink and no cash to buy one right now....It sucks like hell.
That does suck. The hot water line to my kitchen sink is frozen. Go figure. I have to heat water on the stove to do dishes. At least the hot water in the shower works.

Tell me you're at least heating some up on a stove or something! I truly can't stand a cold bath or shower. At least a warm washcloth and a bucket it more bearable. I feel for ya dude.

Yeah I am heating water on the stove...I don't like cold showers either. I took way to many in the field when I was in the military and it sucks.

Living comfortably
depends how one goes about it, I did it for 12 years during my first marriage and I lived very comfortably, different to the norm maybe but comfortable all the same, its a case of adapting to the new circumstances, probably something that most would find hard if not downright impossible but that's the ones who would fail post SHTF.
I enjoyed it so much I would do it again in the blink of an eye if the suitable circumstances arose.

the one thing you can guarantee after an EMP or most catastrophe's is that the electric would be out, maybe for a few days, a few weeks or could be for good. anyone who cannot or will not live without electrical power wont survive for very long and will be numbered amongst the casualties.

depends how one goes about it, I did it for 12 years during my first marriage and I lived very comfortably, different to the norm maybe but comfortable all the same, its a case of adapting to the new circumstances, probably something that most would find hard if not downright impossible but that's the ones who would fail post SHTF.
I enjoyed it so much I would do it again in the blink of an eye if the suitable circumstances arose.
I think the lack of safe water to drink would cause more problems than everything else combined for the general population.
So, you made some young woman live without running water for twelve years? Ever wonder why that marriage didn't work out.... Lol

Latest posts

Back