EMP protection

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I don't feel bad, I left NM a year and a half ago. Feeling bad for Captjim NM.
I was in charge of registration for the NM hamfest for 3 years, and a number of years for the Techfest in the winter. Sad to see that is not happening.
Our state I'm in now doesn't do the shut down thing.

Amish Heart, I have been to many NM techfests and worked doorprize ticket sales at the Dukecity event. I wore the yellow VLA hardhat with the solar lights and transisters mounted to the helment. What fun, I sure miss those events. The best part is taking the time to sit down and put a face to the voice you have heard for years on the radio. When I was VP or president at the Socorro club we set-up tables just for people to enjoy their coffee and have a place to visit. One of my best ideas. Those 18 chairs were full almost all day with people visiting. Yes, our govenor has done a number on this state with COVID. I understand over 2000 people left Socorro to work in Texas when she closed down all the restraunts. Looks like this mess is about to blow up in our face again, no telling what she will close, this time many busnesses will not re-open, just fold and leave town. de KA5SIW

Do you know why the Navy/Marine Corps ended their M.A.R.S. program?
Found some info fom the Navy regarding your question:

The end of Navy-Marine Corps MARS - May 2015

DE NNNØASA ØØ1
R 122Ø3ØZ MAY 2Ø15
FM CHNAVMARCORMARS WILLIAMSBURG VA
TO ALNAVMARCORMARS
INFO ZEN/CHIEF ARMY MARS FT HUACHUCA AZ
ZEN/CHIEF AIR FORCE MARS SCOTT AFB IL
BT
UNCLAS
SUBJ/TRANSITION OF NAVY MARINE CORPS MARS (MILITARY AUXILIARY RADIO
SYSTEM PROGRAM//
REF/A/PHONECON/NCTAMS LANT/NAVIDFOR/FCC-C1ØF/STRATCOM/Ø8 MAY 2Ø15//
REF/B/DODI 465Ø.2/MILITARY AUXILIARY RADIO SYSTEM (MARS)//
REF/C/DODD 3Ø25.18/DEFENSE SUPPORT OF CIVIL AUTHORITIES//
RMKS/1. IAW REF A, NAVAL COMPUTER AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS AREA MASTER
STATION ATLANTIC (NCTAMS LANT) INTENDS TO WORK WITH U.S. ARMY MARS
AND U.S. AIR FORCE MARS IN TRANSITIONING THE NAVY MARINE CORPS MARS
(NAVMARCORMARS) PROGRAM BY 3Ø SEP 2Ø15. THE INTENT OF THE TRANSITION
IS TO BEST ALIGN THE PROGRAM TO SUPPORT NATIONAL MISSION
REQUIREMENTS.
2. EVALUATION OF THE NAVMARCORMARS PROGRAM BY FLEET CYBER COMMAND
(FCC)/COMMANDER 1ØTH FLEET (C1ØF), NAVAL INFORMATION DOMINATION
FORCES (NAVIDFOR), AND NCTAMS LANT DETERMINED THAT THERE ARE NO U.S.
NAVY SERVICE UNIQUE REQUIREMENTS.
3. NCTAMS LANT WILL WORK WITH OTHER U.S. NAVY, U.S. ARMY, U.S. AIR
FORCE, U.S. STRATEGIC COMMAND, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
REPRESENTATIVES, AND NAVMARCORMARS VOLUNTEERS TO DEVELOP A TRANSITION
PLAN FOR NAVMARCORMARS MEMBERS WHICH MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS OF REF B
AND REF C.
4. CURRENT NAVMARCORMARS INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS AND CLUBS ARE ENCOURAGED
TO BEGIN SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS TO U.S. ARMY MARS OR U.S. AIR
FORCE MARS PROGRAMS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. U.S. ARMY MARS MEMBERSHIP
CAN BE REQUESTED AT
HTTP://WWW.USARMYMARS.ORG/RESOURCES/APPLICATIONS-AND-FORMS AND U.S.
AIR FORCE MARS MEMBERSHIPS INFORMATION CAN BE REQUESTED VIA E-MAIL TO
[email protected].
5. ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE WILL ALSO BE PROVIDED SEPCOR FOR MARS STATIONS
UNDER MILITARY AUSPICES, AGENCY STATIONS, AND INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS WHO
ALSO PARTICIPATE IN THE DHS SHARED RESOURCES (SHARES) HF RADIO
PROGRAM.
6. AT A MINIMUM, FUTURE NOTICES WILL BE PROVIDED VIA CHIEF,
NAVMARCORMARS MESSAGE. OTHER MEDIA WILL BE IDENTIFIED AS PART OF THE
TRANSITION COMMUNICATIONS PLAN.
7. THE U.S. NAVY GREATLY APPRECIATES THE THOUSANDS OF MARS
VOLUNTEERS, PAST AND PRESENT, WHO HAVE BEEN INTEGRAL TO THE SUCCESS
OF MARS. NCTAMS LANT WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED OF TRANSITION EFFORTS AND
REQUESTS YOUR ASSISTANCE TO HELP START THIS NEW CHAPTER IN MARS
OPERATIONS.
8. NCTAMS LANT POC: BO LINDFORS, COMM 757-443-9Ø55, DSN 312-646-9Ø55,
[email protected] AND CHRIS JENSEN, COMM: 757-443-9Ø63, DSN:
312-646-9Ø63, [email protected].
9. FCC/C1ØF POC: MICHAEL KEGLEY, COMM: 3Ø1-688-2387,
[email protected].
1Ø. U.S. ARMY MARS POC: PAUL ENGLISH, COMM: 254-947-3141,
[email protected].
11. U.S. AIR FORCE MARS POC: DAVID STAPCHUK, COMM: 618-229-5964,
[email protected].
12. INTERNET RELEASE IS AUTHORIZED.//
BT
NNNN

I believe any vehicle from like 1976 on down should be fine unaffected except for the battery but a manual transmission could push start it and it would recharge it now will it explode the battery that a question I cannot answer and that's the battery is protected somehow someway

I wondered about batteries exploding. During the starfish test of a high altitude nuke in the early 1960's, transformers in Hawai'i supposedly caught fire, and some exploded.

The Carrington Event in the 1860's supposedly electricuted a few telegraph operators.

I'm not enough of an engineer or physicist to figure out if batteries will explode, but it does sound plausible.

I wondered about batteries exploding. During the starfish test of a high altitude nuke in the early 1960's, transformers in Hawai'i supposedly caught fire, and some exploded.

The Carrington Event in the 1860's supposedly electricuted a few telegraph operators.

I'm not enough of an engineer or physicist to figure out if batteries will explode, but it does sound plausible.
That was from the E3 component. Only long circuits like power lines and pipelines are affected by the E3 component. A car battery is not connected to any circuits long enough unless it's on a charger plugged into the wall.

A Battery is often used to filter out voltage variations of DC circuits.
An EMP pulse that penetrated through into a circuit with a battery would be mostly absorbed by the battery.
The construction of a motor vehicles lead-acid battery gives it enough strength and mass, to withstand any momentary EMP pulse that penetrated into the circuit.

I'm not enough of an engineer or physicist to figure out if batteries will explode, but it does sound
plausible.
Only one transformer was damaged, and it knocked out telephone service to all the islands.
20 atmospheric tests were done between the U.S.A and U.S.S.R., and the instrumentation to monitor the blasts was often damaged...so technically the high-altitude tests were not REALLY scientifically documented, in a way that is particularly helpful now ... or so I've read ...

Thank you all very much for getting back to me and following up on this.

I do have plans to sequestor electronics in Faraday cages. I believe I focus on a lot of medical electronics, like glucometers and so forth. Also, I want to figure out how to download Kindle e-books onto thumb dirives so I can have an electronic library . . . and, perhaps, youtube videos on DVD with details on things like first aid, medical care, gunsmithy, farming, and so forth.

I have also seen newer, handheld computer language translators, which think may also be important.

To be precise, a solid metal container is a "Faraday Shield" not a "Faraday Cage." The more conductive the metal, the better. A Faraday Cage has holes, either perforated holes or gaps in a metal mesh. A Faraday Shield can block a wider range of frequencies than a Faraday Cage, which is usually designed for blocking certain frequency ranges.

If you use a metal trash can as a Faraday Shield, you should use inner shielding as well, such as three layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. The contents should be insulated from the foil, and the foil should be insulated from the outer metal container. A layer of cardboard between the insulation and the conducting materials will keep sharp corners from accidentally poking through the insulation and touching the conductive surface. Grounding the outer container can prevent build up of static charges on the container.

It is my understanding that a Solar EMP caused by a Carrington Event, or coronal mass ejection (CME) only contains an E3 component, not E1 or E2. The Faraday Shield is for E1 and E2. All you need for E3 is isolation from long metal circuits like the power lines or metal pipelines.

To be precise, a solid metal container is a "Faraday Shield" not a "Faraday Cage." The more conductive the metal, the better. A Faraday Cage has holes, either perforated holes or gaps in a metal mesh. A Faraday Shield can block a wider range of frequencies than a Faraday Cage, which is usually designed for blocking certain frequency ranges.

If you use a metal trash can as a Faraday Shield, you should use inner shielding as well, such as three layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. The contents should be insulated from the foil, and the foil should be insulated from the outer metal container. A layer of cardboard between the insulation and the conducting materials will keep sharp corners from accidentally poking through the insulation and touching the conductive surface. Grounding the outer container can prevent build up of static charges on the container.

It is my understanding that a Solar EMP caused by a Carrington Event, or coronal mass ejection (CME) only contains an E3 component, not E1 or E2. The Faraday Shield is for E1 and E2. All you need for E3 is isolation from long metal circuits like the power lines or metal pipelines.
Thank you.

I plantoon using nested faraday shields, as metal boxes lined with a rubber coating.

You've seen the metal boxes in the back of pickup trucks. I see lining one with that rubber sealant that comes in buckets . . . they have it at Walmart.

Inside, another smaller farady shield box with the electronics.

I also believe that a cable needs to ground the outside of the box, but I may be wrong.

https://duckduckgo.com/y.js?ad_prov...15797DAF66F0931DF46D5DB106EC8&ID=DevEx,5714.1

Latest posts

Back