EMP protection

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched a show yesterday and it said 90% of cars will still work after an EMP, those that don't were cars with FOB's and high antenna's. But the chances on an EMP frying even the newer cars circuits were slim. Of course, one says this and one says that, so who do you believe? I have a 73 Chevy C10 and not worried about it during a EMP and a couple of newer cars but I did put extra Ignition modules and other components in small Faraday cages, just in case. Along with extra fuses which the show did say mat go out.
I had a 67 C10. Never needed a EMP to cause a break down....did that all by itself.

I had a 67 C10. Never needed a EMP to cause a break down....did that all by itself.
Well I am Not a Chevy fan, but since my Brother gave me the truck, I can not complain! LOL But I must say it has been a very good truck! About a year before he gave it to me, he had the motor and trans rebuilt and the guy who did it was the guy who did the motors and such for the General Lee on The Dukes of Hazard show. As long as it runs after a EMP I am happy!

Hey everyone. What I want to know is if I took a metal pickup truck flatbed locker (like the one below) and covered the entire interior in rubber Flex Paste, do you think it would be a good Faraday cage against EMP?

1627622442565.png

Hey everyone. What I want to know is if I took a metal pickup truck flatbed locker (like the one below) and covered the entire interior in rubber Flex Paste, do you think it would be a good Faraday cage against EMP?

View attachment 13168
Pretty much yes, if the metal container seals properly and the goods inside are insulated from the metal body.

surely apart from anything else EMP's will fry the car's battery and probably every battery that is in a store or storage, so no car or vehicle is going anywhere once that happens.

Nup, any new battery stored uncharged / inactivated is unaffected, as is batteries also stored in faraday cage type storage

Yes, I'm very sure. I have volumes on EMP provided to me by the US Army as I am a M.A.R.S. operator. Hand pumps take care of the filling station scenario.
yeah but only as long as there is fuel in the filling station tanks, there wont be any refilling post SHTF, so its only temporary at best and very short term.

Last edited:
so any battery fitted to a car will be affected, all traffic will come to a standstill, is that right?

Not neccesarily as vehicles themselves are to a degree rather efficient faraday cages, Theres always exceptions and circumstances. Plus air started trucks dont need a battery to start, and I simply do not know if electric vehicles are surge resisant. Many kick started motorcycles wont be affected and others may be able to be bump started. I also dont know about hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles.

Latest posts

Back