Emergency Heat and light for 72 days

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just seeing if it would attach here. I had to go to the You Tube Channel to watch.

Good information and very easy to do. I do keep candles around just because I love the smell and the just in case. . . I would think if you wanted, you could add in some fragrance when you have melted it down before adding it into your jars. I like the fact that she used a birthday cake candle to insert in the middle after it was firmed up, but I would suggest cutting the bottom of that candle instead of the top. It really would be a money saver doing it yourself with Crisco and a fragrance.

Great vid. I must ask, what would be the difference in just shoving the candle in the jar of crisco? Instead of melting it into another jar. I understand that the crisco container is cardboard but would a single candle flame get hot enough to catch it on fire from dead center? My thoughts are no.

Fat is going to be the hardest of the three (carbohydrates, fats and proteins) to obtain in a SHTF world. Think about it. Even burning Crisco may not be a good idea. I get it, there may not be alternatives but we should be thinking about that now.
I do agree that after a SHTF situation, I would not want to "burn" an item I would want to use for cooking. For us we have pigs and I have gallons of lard to use for cooking right now and more on "the hoof". I do think grabbing some Crisco to make some candles right now is a good idea though. I would rather do it now verses not having any kind of light in the future. That is why we are preppers. . . we want to do everything to prepare for the unknown future so we are prepared.

I do agree that after a SHTF situation, I would not want to "burn" an item I would want to use for cooking. For us we have pigs and I have gallons of lard to use for cooking right now and more on "the hoof". I do think grabbing some Crisco to make some candles right now is a good idea though. I would rather do it now verses not having any kind of light in the future. That is why we are preppers. . . we want to do everything to prepare for the unknown future so we are prepared.

In your situation you are undoubtedly correct.

When I was 9 years old I Took some fat from an elk and boiled it on a wood stove for days. What floated to the top I skimmed off and made very crude candles that at least made light. Dad took some of this and used it to flux lead alloy for bullet casting. I read the Lewis and Clark explorers sometimes ate their candles, lots of calories and better than wax.

emergency heat and light shouldnt be too difficult for 72 hours, after all we'll probably be sleeping for 24 of those hours, maybe longer as bed will probably be the warmest place.
daylight hours shouldnt be a problem as far as light goes even in winter although the days will be shorter.
heat for 72 hours even without a fireplace or logburner could be done using the same mobile gas (cylinder) heater I have for minor power cuts.

I need to get some candle supplies. mainly wicks,on account I've been burning candles since a few weeks ago.when we had our first power outage of the year.in which I've been saving the wax.power is out right now.so I'll watch the video when the power comes back on.

I have run electrical cables into all rooms in the house and the pantry, have different colored wall sockets and they are all connected to a cable out on the patio/terrace where I can connect one of my generators to and provide the entire house, one live wall socket in each room for light or heating. I can also connect the solar panels, battery bank and the inverter to the same outside socket for 220V or 12 V and run my camping equipment in the house too. 8 alternative cooking possibilities with petrol, butane, alcohol, propane, tea candles and 12 V or 220V or wood. 4 alternative heating with propane, natural gas, electric or wood. 7 alternatives for lighting with flashlights on rechargeable batteries, 12V lighting, 220V lighting, candles, butane lamps, gasoline lamps and petroleum lamps. 20 lbs of lard for emergency light if needed and for cooking anyway...I think we are ready, Gary

Car batteries to 110 lamps through an inverter isn't very efficient. Bright white LEDs give a surprising amount of light, and you can wire directly to the battery. Since solar isn't a viable option where I live, my batteries are charged by an automotive alternator coupled to a 6hp engine. I'm not fire phobic, but when the power goes out, anything that burns is used outside.

Latest posts

Back