Emergency Heat and light for 72 days

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cart was empty, couldn't see it.
But I've ordered cups from them before for our business, and they were good.

At the same time, it's difficult for someone like me who lives in the South where the weather gets below freezing only a few times a year to understand how tough it is for people who have to deal with below-zero temps for for long periods during the winter. Heck, in Texas, the energy capital of the US, it snowed a foot and they couldn't keep the lights on. I saw a story about a guy who had a $10K electric bill due to PDP. Sounds like ENRON never died. With the electricity off, many people didn't know that cracking their faucets would prevent their pipes from bursting.

I've gotten a buddy heater and 6-1LB propane tanks since the snow, ice and freezing temps. we had 2 power surges this morning. heater is set up, just in case.i have laterns,oil lamps candles and flashlights.batteries are up to par.i got food n water.im sitting all comfy.

Prepping is many times an on-going thing. You get many little experiences and chances to make the needed adjustments from such things as storms and weather changes to see if your preps work and where the weak points are to rearrange your things and the contents of your preps. Only another step towards being ready for the real and long-term SHTF timeframe...GP

prepping is a long term occupation, plans can change or be adapted as circumstances change.
at one point I was planning for bugging out, these days I am not.
I agree. Where would I go? What can I carry as opposed to what I can store. I already live in a place that is more safe and secure and isolated than most people could hope to find. It in inconceivable that hoards of starving people would ever wander this far out in the country.

I agree. Where would I go? What can I carry as opposed to what I can store. I already live in a place that is more safe and secure and isolated than most people could hope to find. It in inconceivable that hoards of starving people would ever wander this far out in the country.
thats exactly my thoughts too.

Ideas on a good non electric propane heater than can be hooked up quickly. My furnace has an electric blower. so.......

I think most of the furnaces are usually on a switch for power, now. Trip your breaker, and you can either open up the switch, test for power, and convert the switch to a power outlet, or tie in to put the power outlet below it.

Take the furnace wiring and put a male plug on it. Now in a power outage, you can power your furnace from a small inverter outside.

Ideas on a good non electric propane heater than can be hooked up quickly. My furnace has an electric blower. so.......

Or, more labour intensive, you could install a wood burning stove. Don't cheap out; you can buy a good used one, but you want heavy steel, and refractory bricks in it, so the flame doesn't erode right through it, and it keeps the heat longer. Put it in the basement, or lowest floor.

You can buy a propane catalytic heater for a big tank, but be aware that they will use up all the oxygen in a tight building.

Any fat, or shortening will work as a makeshift candle. Though personally as other posters mentioned, you're burning something valuable in a long term crisis. As preppers it's good to be able to have different options. But if you are huddled around a jar of shortening slowly burning, you're preps kinda suck. Kerosene, and paraffin oil is fairly cheap, and you can run a long time off a gallon. Coleman lamps are still the kings of light output, for heavy weight camping, though I'd want a propane one if it was for inside. For just pure light, some of the better LED headlamps, work lights and flashlights put out some great numbers and are pretty frugal on battery power.

For warmth, if a wood stove or getting the furnace running isn't an option, bigger inverter could run a good space heater, or maybe two. But even a couple won't do much in a big space. But gas to run it, is cheap, and it'll help. Especially if you shut off rooms and have heavy curtains. The colder it gets, the more challenging it will be. Well below -40 is a different deal than barely freezing.

Latest posts

Back