Elevated Volcanic Activity (US)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I haven't posted these from my Wife USGS computer in good while

Elevated Volcanic Activity
USGS Daily Elevated Volcano Status Summary as of Wednesday, Jul 1, 2020 at 17:00 PDT
The following U.S. volcanoes are known to be above normal background (elevated unrest or eruptions) as of the time stamped above. Times are local in military format.

Cleveland Volcano Alert Level = ADVISORY. Aviation Color Code = YELLOW. Issued Jul 1, 2020, 19:36
(Change to current status occurred on Jun 17, 2020, 19:56 from Volcano Alert Level WATCH and Aviation Color Code ORANGE )
No eruptive activity detected on regional networks or in satellite data.

Great Sitkin Volcano Alert Level = ADVISORY. Aviation Color Code = YELLOW. Issued Jul 1, 2020, 19:36
(Change to current status occurred on Feb 26, 2020, 20:58 from Volcano Alert Level NORMAL and Aviation Color Code GREEN )
Small earthquakes continue; no eruptive activity detected.

Makushin Volcano Alert Level = ADVISORY. Aviation Color Code = YELLOW. Issued Jul 1, 2020, 19:36
(Change to current status occurred on Jun 16, 2020, 02:02 from Volcano Alert Level NORMAL and Aviation Color Code GREEN )
Small earthquakes continue; no eruptive activity detected.

Semisopochnoi Volcano Alert Level = ADVISORY. Aviation Color Code = YELLOW. Issued Jul 1, 2020, 19:36
(Change to current status occurred on Apr 1, 2020, 20:16 from Volcano Alert Level WATCH and Aviation Color Code ORANGE )
Weak seismicity; no eruptive activity detected

Veniaminof Volcano Alert Level = ADVISORY. Aviation Color Code = YELLOW. Issued Jul 1, 2020, 19:36
(Change to current status occurred on Jun 18, 2020, 22:01 from Volcano Alert Level NORMAL and Aviation Color Code GREEN )
Low-level seismicity; no eruptive activity detected.

Mauna Loa Volcano Alert Level = ADVISORY. Aviation Color Code = YELLOW. Issued Jun 25, 2020, 18:55
(Change to current status occurred on Jul 2, 2019, 17:40 from Volcano Alert Level NORMAL and Aviation Color Code GREEN )
Mauna Loa is not erupting. Seismicity above background, summit inflation continues.

Last edited:
Does is say where the volcanoes are located? I know Mauna Loa. Not to worried about that reaching me.

I didn't even know Cleveland had a volcano. I thought that was the Cuyahoga River that was on fire.

Does is say where the volcanoes are located? I know Mauna Loa. Not to worried about that reaching me.

I didn't even know Cleveland had a volcano. I thought that was the Cuyahoga River that was on fire.

Right now the ones that are listed are in Alaska, some times we get the alert for Washington, Oregon and California. Alaska and the Hawaiian Island chain generaly dominates the alerts.

Cleveland Volcano Alaska
Great Sitkin Volcano Alaska
Makushin Volcano Alaska
Semisopochnoi Volcano Alaska
Veniaminof Volcano Alaska
Veniaminof Volcano Alaska

Thank you. I won't worry to much about those either. If I have to worry about them the whole world is in a bunch of trouble.

Midwest doesn't have a lot of worries regarding volcanoes, though Saint Francis mountains in Missouri has a lot of volcanic rock although I would be more concerned about the Madrid fault line in the Southeast section of Missouri ;)

Earthquakes are definitely part of the plan although when the New Madrid Fault does burp, energy seems to focus more North, South, and East than it does West. We have felt a few but none more than 4-5 on the Richter Scale. Very little damage. It might rattle a dish off the shelf. We are hoping it stays that way. Hard to imagine the power of something that could make the Mississippi River run backwards.

The official report

What is the estimate of the recurrence interval for 1811-1812 type earthquakes?

Paleoseismic (geologic) studies conducted over the last 20 years have shown that sequences of earthquakes of comparable size to that in 1811-1812 have occurred at least twice before, in approximately 900 and 1450 AD. This implies a recurrence interval of about 500 years.

Given this and other new information, can one estimate the probability of damaging earthquakes in the New Madrid seismic zone?

We have learned a tremendous amount about the New Madrid seismic zone since 1985. One of the things we have learned is that coming up with probabilities is much more difficult than we used to think. If we use the data on historical seismicity combined with the new information on recurrence of large earthquakes, and make the same assumptions that go into the National Seismic Hazard maps, we would estimate a 25-40% chance of a magnitude 6.0 and greater earthquake in the next 50 years and about a 7-10% probability of a repeat of the 1811-1812 earthquakes in the same time period.

However, it is VERY important to note that these estimates alone do not include information about WHERE the earthquakes might occur and therefore what shaking might affect any given location. More useful are the estimates of the likely amount of ground shaking that can be expected, contained in the National Seismic Hazard maps. The ground shaking estimated accounts for both the likely ranges of recurrence intervals and locations.

Does everyone within USGS agree on the cause and effects of a future New Madrid earthquake?

No one knows what causes New Madrid earthquakes. However, there are ideas that are being researched. Although there is great uncertainty regarding the cause of earthquakes, scientists generally do agree on what happens when they do occur, that is, the likely levels of ground shaking associated with the waves earthquakes emit. These levels are reflected in the National Seismic Hazard Maps, which represent the products of a long consensus building process. These maps also account for the uncertainties in our understanding.

Differences of opinion within the research community invariably will arise. Generally these are not critical to people outside the research arena. When they are, the USGS sometimes has held workshops to try to come to a consensus and at other times has announced our own internal consensus. Generally, we have met with the CUSEC State Geologists and been able to come to agreement at least between the State Surveys and the USGS, as well as many other scientists. In most situations, the State Surveys are the ones responsible to the State Governors and the USGS works closely with them.

What is the potential for a large New Madrid earthquake triggering an earthquake in the Wabash Valley?

All we know is that this has not happened in the past few 1811-1812-sized New Madrid earthquake sequences.

After a major earthquake in the New Madrid or Wabash Valley seismic zone, what changes to the landscape would we most likely see?

Deformation of the land surface directly over a fault that moves may manifest as very localized uplift or subsidence, or lateral distortions of up to several meters (for a very large earthquake). Shaking can cause ground failure of various types, including liquefaction and landsliding. These would have significant effect on the landscape in terms of damming streams, spewing sand and mud into fields, and causing areas near bluffs and rivers to slide and form a broken up surface.

Can you explain liquefaction? What conditions would increase or decrease the amount of liquefaction?

Liquefaction occurs when loose, sandy, water saturated soils are strongly shaken. The soils lose their capacity to bear any weight and can flow like a liquid. This process is accompanied by high pore water pressures that can force sand, water, and mud upward, often forming the signature sand blows of the New Madrid seismic zone. Many factors affect how susceptible materials are to liquefaction, but some of the most important requirements are the degree of water saturation, the size of the grains, and how well cemented they are.

After the 1811/1812 earthquakes there were reports that the Mississippi River flowed backward. Can you explain this phenomenon and what is it called?

One of the 1812 earthquakes occurred on a fault that actually crossed the river three times. The uplift along this fault formed a scarp or cliff that caused both a dam and waterfalls at different locations. The damming of the river would have temporarily backed the river up, which may account for the descriptions of the river boat pilots.

Madrid.jpg

All true, but those church bells were in Boston and Philadelphia. The energy all seemed to go East. We are hoping it stays that way.
How would you know? It's not like we can check the Denver Post archives for 1811, LOL. Denver wasn't settled until 1858. It was all Indian territory.

Midwest doesn't have a lot of worries regarding volcanoes, though Saint Francis mountains in Missouri has a lot of volcanic rock although I would be more concerned about the Madrid fault line in the Southeast section of Missouri ;)
if the Madrid goes it could wipe out millions and split the USA right down the middle,,,,,,,,

The Government doesn't give enough money to the USGS for studies of major fault lines here in the states. I know a few Geologist that want more studies done on the Madrid and wants monthly press time to better educate the public of the possible dangers, like they do here on the West coast. A few years back the USGS wanted to more sampling around the Madrid Seismic Zone for possible liquefaction studies because of the older homes and businesses, they requested NOAA (by way of satellite) to help in the studies, the bureaucrats shut the study down as too costly thus request for NOAA satellite as will as the core samples were denied. So, a couple of Geologist from the USGS request help from the University to pull core samples, these two Geologist no longer work for the USGS and not by choice.

Updated List of the US 18 most dangerous volcanoes

out of 161 young and active U.S. volcanoes USGS

Mount Kilauea, Hawaii
Mount St. Helens, Washington
Mount Rainier, Washington
Redoubt Volcano, Alaska
Mount Shasta, California
Mount Hood, Oregon
Three Sisters, Oregon
Akutan Island, Alaska
Makushin Volcano, Alaska
Mount Spurr, Alaska