Electromagnetic Pulse Definition

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
An electromagnetic pulse (sometimes abbreviated EMP) is a burst of electromagnetic radiation. The abrupt pulse of electromagnetic radiation usually results from certain types of high energy explosions, especially a nuclear explosion, or from a suddenly fluctuating magnetic field. The resulting rapidly changing electric fields and magnetic fields may couple with electrical/electronic systems to produce damaging current and voltage surges.

In military terminology, a nuclear bomb detonated hundreds of miles above the Earth's surface is known as a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (HEMP) device. Effects of a HEMP device depend on a very large number of factors, including the altitude of the detonation, energy yield, gamma ray output, interactions with the Earth's magnetic field, and electromagnetic shielding of targets (Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 2012).

Theoretically, one weapon, at the right altitude, with the right power, and in the right spot, could effectively knock the continental US back to the 1800's instantly.
About every few years, some idealistic congressman tries to introduce a bill to protect against it, and it's always shot down due to cost.
It isn't just a matter of making repairs either. Even in a non-SHTF world, the lead-time on most of the key components of the grid is like 18 MONTHS. That's right...MONTHS.
Meanwhile, everyone on life support dies, society crumbles, oh...and the nuclear plants all have collective meltdowns. How fun....

The only good news is that we'd likely intercept such a weapon before it detonated, but then again, our luck with the Aegis and PAC-3 missile defense systems have been less than stellar.
Hopefully, the military is sitting on some satellite-based defenses as well. If so, it would at least explain why protection bills get defeated all the time.

There is a book out. One Second After. a little unrealistic but fits the bill about what happens after an EMP.

I am really worried about this considering where I am is fairly near NK and they're maniacal enough to try it.

Kim is a bit unstable, but he's not stupid, or suicidal. To be honest, I think he's crazy like a fox, but also trapped in his own little fantasy world. At first, I thought he was simply nuts, but his assessment of when major powers would cave for the benefit of peace was far better than mine. Frankly, I'm mad as hell at our leaders for capitulating so quickly and behind closed doors, just as I'm ticked at the press for barely reporting on it.

yes, he is unstable and no he is not dumb. the thing about unstable and not dumb, he might do something calculated to be risky n pull it off. thats the main worry.

Luckily though, he'd really have nothing to gain for actually following through with the threats.
Once he goes too far, all bets are off, and regime change is the reality. (even with an EMP over the US, there are PLENTY of scattered forces to grind NK to dust)....

Of course, North Korea would be a real quagmire on the ground. Those bunkers are numerous, and deep.
We'd have to restrict action to a long-term air campaign, to be palatable to the public.
We have new bombs that will get to even the deepest bunkers (eventually).

He knows all of this of course, so his strategy is to simply push as far as he can, until he gets what he wants to avoid war. And why shouldn't he? So far, it's worked for his family generation after generation. Sucks, but true.

Latest posts

Back