Electrolysis for cast iron cleaning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper

Reaction score
Electrolysis:Items needed - battery charger (not an automatic kind), steel rod, wire brush, Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda), heavy wire (I use a strand from horse fencing)
DO NOT USE STAINLESS STEEL FOR ANY COMPONET AS IT GIVES OFF A POISONOUS GAS
Use a plastic container large enough to put in the cast iron piece and a piece of rebar steel (steel rod). These items need to be at least 6 inches apart so no electric arcing occurs between the rod and the CI being cleaned. I use a Rubbermaid 18 gallon storage tub.
Dump in about 2 cups of Arm & Hammer washing soda in the tub. Add water to the desired amount. Usually about 4 inches from the top.
Wire brush the steel rod to clean off rust to make it more conductive. Use the wire brush to take off any loose crud from the CI pan. Don’t try to dig into the surface. I use an electric drill with a softer round wire brush.
Use a visegrip or clamp to keep the rod at one end of the tank.
Use a piece of wire to make a hook the pan and hook it over the side of the tub so the pan does not slide down in and hit or arc the rod. I put the rod and pan on opposite side of the tub the long ways from each other.
Put the Red battery clamp on the rod. Put the black battery clamp on the handle of the pan.
Plug in the charger and turn on. I run my charger on 20amps. I have used a 10 amp charger. I works well, it just takes longer.
The water will sloowly start to bubble and/or move. It may also foam up depending on how much A&H Washing Soda was used.
Let the pan sit for about 8 hours and the old seasoning will mostly fall off when rinsed. Wire brush if necessary. If any crud remains, put back into the bath and hook back up. Wire brush the crud/rust on the steel rod as the buildup will cut the electrical flow. Do this to both sides of the pan. The side towards the rod gets the cleaning. The other side will clean a bit but it needs to face the rod to get the crud off.
Use the brush to finish taking off the crud. Flush under water and scrub with a brillo pad until the water runs clean. After this follow the re-seasoning advise…..

Latest posts

Back