Electric Cars

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I know is that those electric scooters in the grocery stores and hardware stores that my husband needs to use if he goes shopping with me don't have a charge on them if it's after noon, and he gets stranded in the back of the store. A few weeks ago we went through three of them. I'd have to go to the front of the store and get another and drive it to him. Don't believe the "full of battery" light on them, it's lying to you.
Groc stores are notorious for not maintaining their stuff either.

With most EVs they take a long time 8-12 hrs on 110. Half that on 220. Most of them are crap.
Thats where Tesla has the advantage with Super Chargers. An hour and you are back on the road. Enough time to get a meal and a break.
Getting between the Super Chargers is called range anxiety.

I had range anxiety on my first road trip with a diesel. Planned out my stops.

Going down mountains adds to your range because of regenerative breaking. Going up the 3 mile hill to my house takes 6 miles of range. Going down adds 6-9 miles.
In camper mode, they take very little range off the battery overnight heating or cooling the vehicle.
Torque, performance,and handling was equal to my Porsche Boxster.
It took me a half hour longer in a Tesla with charging on SF-LA run than it did in in a gas SUV. Gas cost 125, electric 20.
These are all experiences with a M3 car. I would guesstimate with a truck in those conditions, you charge at the auction point, get lunch and go back. We won’t know until the trucks come out.
An hour for a charge? Thats ridiculous. I can fill up with gas in 5 minutes. We carry our own food whenever we go anywhere and don't take breaks.
Have you ever been to a livestock auction? Can you imagine 250 trucks each with a 20 to 40 foot stock trailer trying to charge their batteries? Thats just more silly talk. Usually when I go to the auction I dump the cattle off and head home. I don't even shut the motor off. When we go visit the kids 400 miles away we dont stop.
I do think there could be a place for an electric vehicle in overpopulated urban areas and for short distances. But not in most parts of the country.

Right now I can go 1,000 miles on my truck. It holds 100 gallons of fuel. Who in their right mind would trade that for a 200 mile range? When I'm traveling I dont like to stop. Our kids live 400 miles away. Either one of our Jeeps will make that trip without stopping, with fuel to spare.
Thats comparing an optioned out truck (or added tank) to a stock vehicle Is unfair. My diesel only has a 38 gallon tank, but I went 500 miles on it.
Any Jeep I ever owned never made it past 350 miles to a tank.

I get it, electric may not be for you. You may not have the infrastructure in your area

But ours has been one of the most worry free cars, a fun car with acceleration unparalleled by gas, cheaper than gas and if I go the way of Supercharger network a relaxing because I take the breaks to stretch my legs.

I wouldn’t discount them totally. Only some of them. Leafs, Porsche electric, Polestar, do not have the structure to charge.

Thats comparing an optioned out truck (or added tank) to a stock vehicle Is unfair. My diesel only has a 38 gallon tank, but I went 500 miles on it.
Any Jeep I ever owned never made it past 350 miles to a tank.

I get it, electric may not be for you. You may not have the infrastructure in your area

But ours has been one of the most worry free cars, a fun car with acceleration unparalleled by gas, cheaper than gas and if I go the way of Supercharger network a relaxing because I take the breaks to stretch my legs.

I wouldn’t discount them totally. Only some of them. Leafs, Porsche electric, Polestar, do not have the structure to charge.
Fair enough. But can you add batteries to your electric car to increase your range? My wifes Grand Cherokee has a range of 400+ miles. And thats with a V8. Oh, I miscalculated, my kids are around 375 miles away.
There is no infrastructure in my area, just mountains and steep canyons.
I absolutely do think theres a place for electric cars for some people in some parts of the country. Just not where many of us live. We rarely drive just for the fun of it. And when we do its in the mountains on rough roads that a sporty little electric would never make it. Plus you'd have to carry a generator to keep it charged.

And I have a road that passes enough to be call a pass around here 1500 ft elevation in 3 miles. I know yours are much higher and longer

The technology is coming, infrastructure needs to be built. Presales for semis.

My v-8 Gand Cherokee never saw a gas station it didn’t like.

But it is much more viable that fuel cell.

My wife’s Model 3 is rated for 325m range. She has a lead foot and maybe gets 250 going 90 and accelerating hard, so maybe not much difference than gas.
My overall point has been on this thread:
To help people understand the technology is close, just maybe not to everyone’s daily use.
One company has been building infrastructure, on their own.
Their vehicles out perform every other electric vehicle on the road, especially when it comes to charging.
They have offered their patents To the Main Stream Automakers
The MSAutomakers keep introducing things from 20 yr old technology.
Biden’s decrees, don’t help the company that has put $$$ into infrastructure because they are not Union.

As I’ve said before, the technology is still in its infancy, yet it is getting closer to surpassing the current technology we use already. I would guess 5 to 10 years and it will be so much better people will wonder why we didn’t do the change decades ago. It took the internal combustion vehicles roughly 100 years to get as good as they are today. It’s only taken electric barely over a decade and most of that was from one private company. I am still waiting for battery and charging improvements to make a purchase, or until my current car needs to be replaced. But there is little doubt my next vehicle will be an EV. Likely a 4wd truck.

As I have said before, show me the math of the total cost of a EV, from all those raw rare earth materials, processing (and being environmentally friendly), life span, maintenance, and the environmentally friendly recycling of all those materials and not just tossing them into a landfill, then I will believe it.

I am interested in an electric utility vehicle (side by side, gator, mule, "golf cart", whatever you want to call it)
Why? Not to go green, but so I can quietly drive up to the deer stand. Yeah, getting old and lazy, I know, I know...🙄
It's not so much about getting to the deer stand as much as getting the deer back to camp. That's the part I'm getting too old for.

As I’ve said before, the technology is still in its infancy, yet it is getting closer to surpassing the current technology we use already. I would guess 5 to 10 years and it will be so much better people will wonder why we didn’t do the change decades ago. It took the internal combustion vehicles roughly 100 years to get as good as they are today. It’s only taken electric barely over a decade and most of that was from one private company. I am still waiting for battery and charging improvements to make a purchase, or until my current car needs to be replaced. But there is little doubt my next vehicle will be an EV. Likely a 4wd truck.
Electric vehicles have been around for over 100 years. There were replaced with gasoline powered vehicles because they were far superior, and still are. Like I've been saying all along, if you want an EV go buy one. They are available today and and they might be pretty good, if you don't mind their downsides. I just dont think they should be forced on anyone. We still have a huge supply of oil, the infrastructure is already in place, and you don't have to wait 2 hours to fill up!
Some people, even here on this site, are always talking about the evil of oil. Name one thing that doesn't use petroleum products in the growing, manufacturing, production and transportation of anything. We would NOT have the standard of living that we all enjoy today if it wasn't for oil and gas. And of course we would not, and could not, have EV's if it wasn't for oil and gas.

Electric vehicles have been around for over 100 years. There were replaced with gasoline powered vehicles because they were far superior, and still are. Like I've been saying all along, if you want an EV go buy one. They are available today and and they might be pretty good, if you don't mind their downsides. I just dont think they should be forced on anyone. We still have a huge supply of oil, the infrastructure is already in place, and you don't have to wait 2 hours to fill up!
Some people, even here on this site, are always talking about the evil of oil. Name one thing that doesn't use petroleum products in the growing, manufacturing, production and transportation of anything. We would NOT have the standard of living that we all enjoy today if it wasn't for oil and gas. And of course we would not, and could not, have EV's if it wasn't for oil and gas.
I think oil has been great for mankind. We would still be chucking spears at one another without it. And don’t get me wrong, I drive a FJ cruiser. It’s big and inefficient on fuel, but I love it. Loads of 4 wheel fun and can climb just about anything. I just think if we can phase in a cleaner (not saying pollution free) energy source then it just makes sense. I think an electric that is just as capable as it is in range and capability would be awesome. EV’s would be way more advanced today but the petroleum industry killed them in the early days. Gasoline was just easier to distribute, especially since most of the country didn’t even have electricity in their home’s in the early 1900’s. The holy grail here will be when we can produce the electricity 100% clean and charge batteries in 5 minutes. It is possible, but if we don’t work to develop it then it would never happen.

I am interested in an electric utility vehicle (side by side, gator, mule, "golf cart", whatever you want to call it)
Why? Not to go green, but so I can quietly drive up to the deer stand. Yeah, getting old and lazy, I know, I know...🙄
It's not so much about getting to the deer stand as much as getting the deer back to camp. That's the part I'm getting too old for.
Thats not a bad idea Doc. Polaris, John Deere and several others already make electric side by sides. The down sides that i can see are that batteries add several hundred pounds to the vehicle, the up front cost is higher, limited range and charging times. That may not be a problem for some applications.

The down sides that i can see are that batteries add several hundred pounds to the vehicle, the up front cost is higher, limited range and charging times. That may not be a problem for some applications.
I've been looking at them for years. It seems battery cost and weight are the main problems, and I've been waiting for that technology to improve. No government subsidies on those...
I'll have to watch the cold weather range carefully, it will be sitting out in the cold for hours on end.

Wish I still had a picture of a friends homemade 4 wheel drive golf cart with knobby balloon tires and jacked up about 3 feet. Am sure it was heavy lead acid batteries though as this was years ago. I don’t want to know how many hours and dollars he threw into that toy….

I've been looking at them for years. It seems battery cost and weight are the main problems, and I've been waiting for that technology to improve. No government subsidies on those...
I'll have to watch the cold weather range carefully, it will be sitting out in the cold for hours on end.
Cold weather range has always been an issue for me with EV's. What is the expected range when its zero, the heater and defroster running full blast and there's a foot of snow on the road and you're chained up on all 4 wheels. I'm guessing that it isn't very far. I'm sure that using the winch will help drain the batteries too.

Cold weather range has always been an issue for me with EV's. What is the expected range when its zero, the heater and defroster running full blast and there's a foot of snow on the road and you're chained up on all 4 wheels. I'm guessing that it isn't very far. I'm sure that using the winch will help drain the batteries too.
I’m reading that Tesla’s loose 20% of range in sub freezing temps on average. So if a model 3 had 300 miles then it drops to 240. They had an issue with their door handles freezing shut and since they are flush with the car people couldn’t get in. They fixed that issue a couple years back luckily. There will be problems that need to be worked out for years to come but Tesla has really good teems of engineers.

I think the road network will deteriorate quickly, so on the long term I believe it´s better to have an ATV than a car.

Latest posts

Back