Electric Cars

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nora Michels

Reaction score
I'd like an electric car because:

1. Gasoline is going to become a rare commodity that people kill each other over; I want no part of that lol.
2. Electric cars are super quiet and thus more stealthy; easier to bug out at night without anyone hearing me.
3. All that's needed to fuel it is a Solar Generator and the cable supplied with the car.
4. All that's needed to protect it from an EMP is a faraday garage/shipping container.
5. I'm a tree-hugging hippie who wants to do her part to help protect the environment lol.

Cons:

1. Limited speed...but there's things I could do to mitigate this risk (armor, run-flats, caltrops/smoke-screen/oil-slick).
2. Limited horsepower...but I'm a minimalist anyway. Not to mention electric car technology is advancing.
3. Limited range...but with a virtually infinite, portable fuel source, this is kinda negligible lol.
4. Small size...but this might actually be a Pro in some cases lol, (maneuverability, easy to hide, easy to clean).

I'd like an electric car because:
3. All that's needed to fuel it is a Solar Generator and the cable supplied with the car.
LOL, you might want to do the math on that...a single solar panel will take about two weeks to charge a Tesla X. Your typical home solar array will take at least two days.

Electric cars are computers on wheels. With GPS tracking built in. They can still find you. My 02 don't have GPS and limited computers. Yes it needs gas but it can do a lot more than an electric car.

My philosophy is you can’t throw cow fertilizer into the back of a Tesla, but you can in the pickup bed of my Ford.

Electric cars are computers on wheels. With GPS tracking built in. They can still find you. My 02 don't have GPS and limited computers. Yes it needs gas but it can do a lot more than an electric car.

Lol, I expected cynical responses. XD

Firstly, I can disable the GPS tracking with one of these: N8 Handheld 8 Band GPS Anti Tracker CDMA GSM DCS 2G 3G 4G WIFI BD Various Hertz Country Customized

Secondly, my father was a paranoid ex-Navy SEAL who obsessively trained my brother and I in combat and military tactics since we could walk; on the off-chance someone does track me down, I can make them wish they'd never found me. =P

Thirdly, I don't need to do a lot with a car other than getting from Point-A to Point-B faster than my legs or a horse can carry me. Fortunately I don't need gas for that. Gas vehicles are too costly, noisy, stinky, and dirty for my purposes.

LOL, you might want to do the math on that...a single solar panel will take about two weeks to charge a Tesla X. Your typical home solar array will take at least two days.

Battery banks. I hardly ever get out anyway; about once a week. When SHTF, I'll be leaving my base even less lol.

My philosophy is you can’t throw cow fertilizer into the back of a Tesla, but you can in the pickup bed of my Ford.

Actually you can. But I wouldn't need to anyway. =P

While y'all are fighting over fossil fuels, I'll be peacefully reaping the benefits of clean, green, renewable energy lol. #BetterLivingThroughTechnology XD

Last edited:
Pickups are necessities on a farm. I wouldn't want to move a pig in the backseat of a little electric car, or any car. I view vehicles on how I can use them....hauling animals, feed, moving manure, a trip to the dump.
These green electric cars aren't very green anyway.

Battery banks.
Like I said, you might want to do the math on that. Math is not cynical. It is reality.
By my calculations you'll need something like 15,000 amp hours in your battery bank for one charge. With the efficiency losses it makes no sense to charge one battery bank (the one on the car) using another battery bank.
If you truly only need it occasionally then let the electric car's battery bank be your battery bank and charge it directly from the solar panels.

Wow. The IQ of the OP continues to be an exponentially decaying curve. Sorry, 'ignore' time for dumb-dumb.

Nora, aside from the math charging problem you chose to ignore or trivialize, you are conveniently ignoring the fact during a shtf event and a fuel shortage, anything that moves under it own power will be targeted. An electric car maybe quite but it is not invisible. Your neighbors will know the vehicle is electric and that alone will paint a bullseye on you. I don't care how badass you think your martial arts training makes you, it won't stop a speeding bullet. If you have not left the city prior to it hitting the fan, the electric car is not going to be a benefit.

Refrigators on wheels?
I still prefer an gasoline burning car. Faster to reload the Energy you need to drive, nearly zero electronics, no big brother software in it, dosn't need an internet-connection to find the way, cannot be shut down by authorities or hackers, greater range.
And if you do an serious study about where the material for those environmentally friendly batteries is coming then you will find out it's not really environmentally friendly.
As the Doc already wrote with an small solar panel you will need ages to reload your dishwasher. And never forget how heavy useless this thing is after an EMP.
But your choice, i wouldn't buy an toaster like this just because it's en vogue by hipsters.

@Nora Michels

Wait with the electric car still to, there are probably some advantages, but also many disadvantages. The cheap electric cars have only a very limited range, are you on the run and stuck in traffic, their battery is very quickly empty. These cars have electronics from China, about repairing it yourself is probably impossible and an EMP can always catch you.
With a small economical gasoline engine you are better served and can probably load more without the battery is already empty after half the distance.
You have another advantage, after a crisis are probably thousands of cars around that are no longer needed, you can pump enough gasoline.

Electric cars are not the future, way to delicate and battery technology is decades behind, Hydrogen fuel cell cars on the other hand. BUT SELF RELIANCE and SELF SUFFICIENCY must be paramount objectives for Preppers, especially rural preppers. This leads me to believe (I'm looking globally not CONUS) that Diesel is the most viable fuel that preppers will rely on for many decades yet. You can even make your own bio diesel with kits costing around $1500. IF TSHTF really bad we can use Diesel tractors, Mules, Quads etc that if looked after will last decades. And in the short term diesel is more salvageable and storable than gasoline. Millions of trucks, tens of thousands of Diesel locos, Millions of farm vehicles, all with huge tanks.

Latest posts

Back