Electric Cars

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know when electric vehicles will become good enough to replace current ones but my prediction is it will happen and before long. My post really wasn’t about the cars though as much as about people on this forum being courteous enough to listen to others ideas without bashing them. We are all here to hopefully learn some new ideas on prepping.
My brother in law is an engineer, pretty smart guy and a big do it
yourselfer. He recently pulled and rebuilt the transmission in his car. While it was out he had it on a jig he built to keep it organized and at work height. It was impressive, countless pieces with names I couldn’t even guess. He completed it and reinstalled it and everything works great. it did take him a month of evenings and weekends though. So my point here is EV’s don’t have a transmission. They have thousands of less movable wear parts. They never need an oil change, and have way more power than regular cars, and have proven reliability of over 300,000 miles. There is enough potential here for serious consideration by any doubters. Tesla has installed a network of approximately 8000 chargers across the US, and more are being built every day. There are other companies building them as well now. I agree that EV’s won’t work for everyone and the whole concept is in its infancy still, but from a strictly prepping standpoint a car I can refuel at home while the grid is down just makes prepping sense. I think an electric motorcycle would be even better for shtf due to its stealth and maneuverability. Just some things to think about anyways..

In another forum i asked one about how much space and money i need to install an completly solar powered charging station for an normal electric car because there was the topic to use something like this as BOV too. Luckywise there are some engineers in the forum too.
Wanna know the answer? You need to fill the roof of your house with solar panels. Then you need the whole stuff to convert this solar power until you can load your batteries in an reasonable time. Estimated costs for it in Central Europe going from 30k to 40k.
You need sunshine too for an perfect loading. You need an electricity storage if you're using your electric mobility during daytime and loading in the night. Moonsun isn't effective enough.
The whole system isn't transportable anymore anyways. When you're somewhere in middle of nowwhere you may think about to reload your batteries with an generator. But you need fuel to let an generator run. If i count the weight and the size of an generator and the required fuel i'll tend to store only fuel and escape with an traditional diesel or gasoline car. The best compromise may would be an hybrid car....

If the situations go so worse i need to bug out i'm absolutly sure electric power plants are down too. If it shall come to an war (what i don't hope) one of the first targets would be the power supply of an area or country. Because we're so dependent in our modern life about electric power that no infrastructure will survive without.

And if the reason for an electric car in the SHTF is the climate protection - you can smoke it. If i'm in the situation where i have to care about my surviving i will have other problems than any engine emissions.

The main limitation with a transition to electric is the global lithium reserve. The estimated reserves planet wide are about 15 million tons. Oil reserves, 1.5 trillion barrels. For all practical purposes the lithium is non-recyclable so we would have consumed it all long before we electrified even half of the world's fleets.

The whole EV transition is just an exercise in hopium, something to keep the masses distracted while we burn through the last of the oil reserves. Oil we use of course to extract transport and refine said lithium. It's all a joke as far as I am concerned. Electric bicycles though, that could have promise.

My son stopped by yesterday on his way to Idaho. He was driving his electric car. It is for city folks. It doesn't even have a spare tire. Charging stations are few and far apart, and it takes hours to fully charge. Fortunately it also has a small gas engine. When they make one that runs on solar power I may consider buying one. That is a long way off.

Too true too true. Can you imagine life anywhere, but especially rural life, without a car? I really can't myself. I know many talk about being totally self sufficient but how many trips do they take to that local town or to visit a friend every year? Down miles and miles of dirt road, up and down hills. I cycle and I avoid hills like the plague!

Back in the day, I used to race bicycles, Tour de France style.
When the fuel is gone, our world will shrink to how far you can walk in a day, bicycle in a day, or if you are lucky enough to have a horse. Even then we are limited on how far that horse can go.
Just to get to the edge of town and back is a all day event for my Amish neighbors by horse.

I thought this was a prepping forum. Now I don’t know if the original poster was a troll or not, but don’t care either way. She brought up a legitimate topic that relates to prepping and was beat down in every way. I brought up a topic earlier about electric cars once here and was bashed by everyone as well. Isn’t the point of this forum to discuss topics? Sure most here don’t believe oil pollutes, new technology is evil and aren’t willing to consider anything new. But without new technology we would still be riding horses and internal combustion cars would never have been developed. EV’s are coming and I am certain they will out perform regular vehicles in every way. Are they there yet, no. But in the short time they have been around the advances are phenomenal. The cheapest Tesla can out perform any corvette, mustang or camero out there, by far. When the cyber truck comes, with a 500 mile range, and more power than any diesel out there people will start to notice. Hopefully the competition will come up with more normal looking trucks to be accepted more, but the specs of Tesla are amazing. Yes, I will own an electric before too long, along with solar panels that can charge it at home for free. I don’t see how that isn’t a smart prepping goal. Not to mention why would anyone with new ideas being ridiculed about ideas just is about stupid and anti productive.

I have to respectfully disagree.
Based off the differing materials needed for a EV (I posted an article about those requirements in another thread), the real and hidden costs of going green does not add up to being more environmentally friendly.

I don’t know when electric vehicles will become good enough to replace current ones but my prediction is it will happen and before long. My post really wasn’t about the cars though as much as about people on this forum being courteous enough to listen to others ideas without bashing them. We are all here to hopefully learn some new ideas on prepping.
My brother in law is an engineer, pretty smart guy and a big do it
yourselfer. He recently pulled and rebuilt the transmission in his car. While it was out he had it on a jig he built to keep it organized and at work height. It was impressive, countless pieces with names I couldn’t even guess. He completed it and reinstalled it and everything works great. it did take him a month of evenings and weekends though. So my point here is EV’s don’t have a transmission. They have thousands of less movable wear parts. They never need an oil change, and have way more power than regular cars, and have proven reliability of over 300,000 miles. There is enough potential here for serious consideration by any doubters. Tesla has installed a network of approximately 8000 chargers across the US, and more are being built every day. There are other companies building them as well now. I agree that EV’s won’t work for everyone and the whole concept is in its infancy still, but from a strictly prepping standpoint a car I can refuel at home while the grid is down just makes prepping sense. I think an electric motorcycle would be even better for shtf due to its stealth and maneuverability. Just some things to think about anyways..

Honda GoldWings, or BMW 850GS. They can be at the driveway by the time I hear them.
Big Harleys, I can hear them a good ways off, even more when they mod their mufflers to be loud.
Big lifted trucks with oversized tires, I can hear them a good ways off too.
I can even tell when the UPS or FedEx truck is slowing down for a delivery, even out in the fields with the livestock.

JMHO here, An EV is just a green wet dream. Cons outweigh the pros. No inferstruc to support them currently. Takes a LONG time to charge the battery. Good for short junts but not a real road trip. I'm still waiting for the flying car from the Jetsons! Call me old fashioned but I don't see it happening.

In another forum i asked one about how much space and money i need to install an completly solar powered charging station for an normal electric car because there was the topic to use something like this as BOV too. Luckywise there are some engineers in the forum too.
any engine emissions.

I think I know this forum that you mentioned, 95% of the members there live in a different world. They think seriously you can shut down all nuclear and fossil fuel power plants in your country and you are even doing it and then still the whole motorized traffic to convert to electric and everything is no problem. Why also, if there is a blackout he is anyway with solar well bridgeable.
Sorry how can you think only so idiotic as the, but just, it's Germans, and they're just fine enough with ever tougher restrictions on Corona, restrictions because of climate change and you're best if Mutti you all locked up and you may only work with a FFP3 mask with an OP mask that you tie over the other mask and live in an endless lockdown what you think is the safest...... :eek:

Crap, crap, crap, for such people everything is lost and it turns my stomach when I read such crap from them already.
As for electric cars, sounds good but will have no future here with the current policy where it is best to shut down all power plants and shortly thereafter blown up. In the event of a blackout, thousands of the boxes stand around unusable, and in a war, the energy grid will probably be one of the biggest targets.
I'm not kidding myself, even gasoline cars are no longer usable for so long in a conflict, you can pump out the tank of other cars, but everything that is still driving around in a crisis will be the first target of military or marauders, you will be the same target as if you have conspicuous light or heating in the house in a blackout in the winter. For me, a vehicle is not relevant in a crisis, here all roads will then be unusable or you are fair game, for the reason I rather trust my feet.

Even without thinking about pollution the technology with EV’s just has better potential than gas cars. It’s coming regardless of peoples opinions on them. In 20 years 75% of all vehicles will be electric. Sooner if they come up with a better battery.
But as far as shtf, or any prolonged major crisis, any vehicle going down the road would be a target to be stolen or even destroyed just out of envy. Where would we have to go anyways? Walmart wouldn’t be open at some point. The electric motorcycle would still make sense for patrolling/security. With no lights and silent it would be the stealthiest way to roam about after dark.

Based off the differing materials needed for a EV (I posted an article about those requirements in another thread), the real and hidden costs of going green does not add up to being more environmentally friendly.
Whenever a material that is used in an important technology becomes scarce or too costly there are people working on ways to replace it. Just like with internal combustion engines, they evolved from simple engines in the model t to what they are today. If you want to get really rich design a better battery.

The main limitation with a transition to electric is the global lithium reserve. The estimated reserves planet wide are about 15 million tons. Oil reserves, 1.5 trillion barrels. For all practical purposes the lithium is non-recyclable so we would have consumed it all long before we electrified even half of the world's fleets.

The whole EV transition is just an exercise in hopium, something to keep the masses distracted while we burn through the last of the oil reserves. Oil we use of course to extract transport and refine said lithium. It's all a joke as far as I am concerned. Electric bicycles though, that could have promise.

I agree with most of that,, However, oil is a replenishable resource.

I read a similar article, add up all the smelting for the steel, extraction and processing of lithium and other rare metals, the high cost of manufacturing batteries and the electronics and you have used enough fossil fuels to run a standard car for the life of the EV. But you don't have to do all that, just look at the price, all that is inherent in the price. There is a reason why a 2021 Nissan Leaf with a halfway decent battery range is US$44,000

$44,000 for a japanese compact car! And it's about the cheapest one on the market. Only yuppies and greenHeads with more acess to credit than sense buy them. IMO they are a dead-end, like the Segway.

That Nissan Leaf isn’t nearly as nice as the cheapest Tesla model 3. Not in quality, power, range, or in any way, and is about the same cost. All I can say is test drive a Tesla before you say you would never consider an electric. If you like driving a powerful sports car they will blow you away. And that’s the cheapest one. The model S Plaid is capable of beating every professional race car out there, but it’s triple the cost of a model 3. If you really have disposable income check out their roadster. That’s the one he sent into near Mars orbit as a publicity stunt. I’m sure in the next 5 years there will be many quality EV’s but right now Tesla is by far the best and it has the charging infrastructure to go with it. I did read that he is planning to allow other brands to use his charging network in the future too.

I thought the greenies were against using lots of electricity and things not recyclable. So why the push for electric cars with toxic batteries? I don't get.
Horse and buggy, or tractor are used where I live. And yes, it takes a long time to get anywhere, but oh well.

Melbourne to Sydney takes 2 tanks of petrol, refill empty to full 10 minutes tops.
Range of EV about 500Km, time to recharge 30 minutes.

How the heck you would top-up an EV on the Nullabor? I hate to think.
EV in OZ not going to happen for a long time, except for driving around the 'Burbs.

I'd never ride in one, period. You crash into a tree and the airbags deploy and save your life. Then the batteries under the seats ignite and you are burned alive trapped in a wrecked car. Lots of stories about that happening, couldn't think of a worse way to die.

Latest posts

Back