Electric Cars

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even my mechanic son, who is a big advocate for electric vehicles and has a Tesla that he loves, says EV are still useless for people like us, who use "Pickup" trucks for what they were actually designed to do...haul, tow...work. He admitted the EV trucks out now are more for vanity owners and people who could make do with a plain old electric car.

In the video about the electric truck, towing wasn't the problem, it towed heavy loads with ease.

Trains use electric engines. Not because it's green (the electricity is generated by diesel engines) but because of the zero speed torque of the electric engines which can't be matched by any other type of engine. And you need an enormous amount of torque to get a freight train moving.

The problem is not electrical vehicles per se, the problem is trying to run them on batteries. Battery technology just isn't there, and may never be.
I've advocated for fuel cell powered electric vehicles since the late 1980s, eventually getting to all hydrogen fueled fuel cells (pure water emissions), but since the hydrogen infrastructure is not ready for it, they can be run on any hydrocarbon, like gasoline, alcohol, diesel, etc. until such a time as hydrogen can be safely and economically used universally as a fuel. You can also use a hydrocarbon to generate hydrogen on board for a hydrogen fuel cell, but you'll have CO2 emissions (which I personally have no problem with, but...)
The democrats will never go for a hydrogen economy simply because hydrogen is too hard to control. My son generated hydrogen for a middle school science fair project.

In the video about the electric truck, towing wasn't the problem, it towed heavy loads with ease.
As I've said for several decades now...
The problem is not electrical vehicles per se, the problem is trying to run them on batteries. Battery technology just isn't there, and may never be.
Trains use electric engines. Not because it's green (the electricity is generated by diesel engines) but because of the zero speed torque of the electric engines which can't be matched by any other type of engine. And you need an enormous amount of torque to get a freight train moving.
I've advocated for fuel cell powered electric vehicles since the late 1980s, eventually getting to all hydrogen fueled fuel cells (pure water emissions), but since the hydrogen infrastructure is not ready for it, they can be run on any hydrocarbon, like gasoline, alcohol, diesel, etc. until such a time as hydrogen can be safely and economically used universally as a fuel. You can also use a hydrocarbon to generate hydrogen on board for a hydrogen fuel cell, but you'll have CO2 emissions (which I personally have no problem with, but...)
The democrats will never go for a hydrogen economy simply because hydrogen is too hard to control. My son generated hydrogen for a middle school science fair project.

Towing was kind of the problem...the second he hooked something (even the empty trailer) up to it (-2x), the batteries started draining at 3x the rate once the fairly light car was loaded. Can you tow with an electric vehicle? Yes. Can you tow something heavy (like 10,000 + lbs) more than a few miles? Nope.

If you can't complete the job at hand, then you can't say you can do the job.

It is over 200 miles to our BOL2. My LQ (living quarters) 4 horse trailer GWVR is 12,000 lbs. How far would that high end EV truck even with the battery upgrade go? My guess is maybe 50 miles at most add hills and I’d be lucky to make it out of town without having to recharge much less to the BOL. Live loads are also harder to tow on uneven dirt roads with a frame that is reinforced and stiff like on EV.

No thanks. Not for us.

Last edited:
The reason towing ran down the batteries so fast is because the capacity of the batteries in Amp Hours is highly dependent on the load. That's just the nature of battery technology.
It's the batteries themselves that are the problem.
Find a source of electricity for which the capacity is not load dependent.

Towing was kind of the problem...the second he hooked something (even the empty trailer) up to it (-2x), the batteries started draining at 3x the rate once the fairly light car was loaded. Can you tow with an electric vehicle? Yes. Can you tow something heavy (like 10,000 + lbs) more than a few miles? Nope.

If you can't complete the job at hand, then it is a problem.
A friend of mine tried towing his golf cart on a trailor to his beach house, he got half way there and couldnt find a charging station, he had to buy a generator from Lowes to charge his truck to get home!!!

The reason towing ran down the batteries so fast is because the capacity of the batteries in Amp Hours is highly dependent on the load. That's just the nature of battery technology.
It's the batteries themselves that are the problem.
Find a source of electricity for which the capacity is not load dependent.

I just find it laughably inaccurate to say the towing capacity is X pounds when it can't go the distance. Heck my big Thoroughbred x QH cross can pull four thousand pounds of logs...one foot an hour and I only paid $400 for him. Not exactly time efficient.

Last edited:

AND trains are diesel electric!!!!

If you can't complete the job at hand, then you can't say you can do the job.

It is over 200 miles to our BOL2. My LQ (living quarters) 4 horse trailer GWVR is 12,000 lbs. How far would that high end EV truck even with the battery upgrade go? My guess is maybe 50 miles at most add hills and I’d be lucky to make it out of town without having to recharge much less to the BOL. Live loads are also harder to tow on uneven dirt roads with a frame that is reinforced and stiff like on EV.

No thanks. Not for us.
Now factor in using the heater, or AC, defroster, driving on several a foot of snow or ice, 4 wheel drive, tire chains and 6 to 10% grades.
I worked at a mine one time and they used diesel electric haul trucks, similar to what locomotives use, that hauled 150 tons of ore each. Electric vehicles have their place, as long as they're attached to a generator. Other than that they're OK for short city trips, or a novelty.

On my way out of HD. I saw a guy putting stuff in the “engine compartment” of his Rivian. I am sorry it is as worthless as a Ridgeline as a truck.
Talked to him about the charge times. About 2.5 times as long at a high powered charger as my wife’s Tesla. To me, it falls in to the category of Bolt and Leaf for me. Junk crap is what this administration is trying to shove down our throats.
Meanwhile if I take a trip in the Tesla, when we stop to charge , it’s about as long as we need to get a bite to eat. I wouldn’t tow my trailer with the UTV on it, but I may think about my 14 ft rowboat.
Believe it or not, heat or AC has minimal drain on the battery.
I realize the limitations of electric But also see the benefits

Funny story about transportation:

My kids are in a club where they we're recently taught car maintenance. The guy was talking about how cool it would be to own a Tesla.

One of my kids piped up and said something like, "My daddy says that the government could control an electric car and if they don't like you, they could just take it over and crash you and you would be trapped and couldn't do anything."

The guy seemed really concerned and it terrified all the kids in the club.

Pretty sure there will be nightmares. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Owned a Nissan Leaf and a Chevy Bolt. You're wrong on the speed. The cars are super fast and fun to drive. That being said the distance you can travel in a day is very limited. If you have to choose one or the other. A truck with an extra fuel tank or 2 would be my vote.

Owned a Nissan Leaf and a Chevy Bolt. You're wrong on the speed. The cars are super fast and fun to drive. That being said the distance you can travel in a day is very limited. If you have to choose one or the other. A truck with an extra fuel tank or 2 would be my vote.
I have 3 tanks on my truck holding almost 100 gallons of fuel. That gives a range of 1200 to 1400 miles, depending on what I'm hauling.

Latest posts

Back