Electric Cars

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, the electric car is a massive failure as brought to market.

Tesla was obviously swimming in money (probably most of it tax dollars), but elected to install diesel-powered charging stations around the country instead of buying up a Jiffy Lube and making battery-changing stations.

If you could drive in, drop your pack, pick up a charged one, and drive off -- people would more easily accept them. And they would be convenient.

A Jiffy Lube type of facility would charge your depleted pack and install it in the next person's car.

An EV would probably be fine for people that typically drive short distances on relatively flat ground in mild weather. And they never carry much more than a few bags of groceries.
I know they've come out with some pick up trucks that appear to show some promise. But I would never buy one because of the limited range and the time to charge it while on the road, if there's even a charging station around. With my truck I get a range of over 1,000 miles. I have an extra 60 gallon fuel tank installed in the bed.

That model seems to work for propane tanks.
Shortly after high school I bought an F150 that was converted to propane. The only negative that I remember about it was the tank took up a large part of the bed. I know that on purpose built propane vehicles they've relocated the tanks between the frame, I think.

I can't see how anyone makes out with electric vehicles. You will NEVER recoup the price difference between it and a normal gasoline powered vehicle. Even with higher gas prices, the gas powered vehicle is cheaper in the long run. Between the astronomical purchase price, charging fees, and having to replace that super expensive battery every few years. It's a total money pit.

I use my tractor every day. Sometimes fo 10 minutes, sometimes for 6 hrs. I am not out plowing a field and probably in a 5-6 acre radius of the barn. I could see it working.
I tried a battery leaf blower, then weed whacker, then chainsaw. I actually preferred them to gas. The hand tools using the same battery system grew.

I find it ironic the same people that love their battery powered drill or reciprocating saw are so opposed to battery powered vehicles.

Runtime
3-6 hours with 22 kWh battery pack, depending on load.

Charging
The battery can be charged in under 8 hours from a 220VAC, 30-amp outlet or overnight from a 110VAC, 15 amp outlet.

I am assuming that discing a field is a heavy load. Disc for three hours and then wait until tomorrow to disc another three hours, etc. etc. etc.

Read an article somewhere the other day about a college student who was going to use her new electric vehicle to go home for the holidays. Seems like she said the trip was about 4-5 hours away from her campus. She had no end of troubles even finding charging stations along the way. Many had "out of order" signs on them when she DID find one. To sum it up, she barely made it home for Christmas and was not happy with her new car's performance!

Then I see this today. Over and above the high cost of EV's, Joe Biden better not let this get out. They aren't aggressively training mechanics to work on them, so there's a shortage of people in dealorships TO work on them. And I'll bet there is a wating line for the rare service shop that has someone to work on them. Man,, this story just gets worse and worse IMO.

Car Dealers Reveal Major Electric Vehicle Flaw: You Won't Be Able to Get it Serviced.

Read an article about the Great Reset the other day that said their REAL goal is to have no private ownership of cars AT ALL! Remember folks, their slogan is "You'll own nothing and you'll be happy." So once they've milked you for that exorbitant price tag up front, made it near impossible to get work done on them or recharge them, then they are going to slap purchasers with some law or executive order making ALL cars illegal to own. They have said they don't want us owning such property. And I'm sure they don't want us traveling much in the future. Can't keep an eye on the serfs if they're traveling about on the roadways, with ANY car.

Latest posts

Back