Electric Cars

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been to this event several times, back when only a few people showed up. A friend of mine owns this place. My favorite was a school bus. They put cutouts of kids in the windows.
This is on a bluff overlooking the Matanuska River near Palmer. I sold my jet boat to Arnie. He used it to rake tours up to the glacier.

Well is looks like the Soletrac tractor is dead. Too bad it probably would have served my needs at my next place.

Reasons for the downfall
Too expensive compared to the bigger tractor I previously bought
Small size is about the same as my 1981 18HP Tractor, not good on my hills
PTO doesn't work in reverse, so I don’t see how you can run a post hole digger.

Here is a video from a guy whose channel was promoting the tractor but he hasn’t from them for months.

The idea was good, implementation failed, and the market spoke.

Was in german news yesterday, dissapeared today:
Used car dealers in Germany are complaining about used EV sales,
- EV's, average 2 years old, 40'000km already lost 67% of their new price (note: fuel powered cars ~30%)
- In average they stand around between 4 and 6 months before they are sold. Fuel powered cars, especially with low electronics, go within a few days when the price is fair.

Seems no one really would like to buy this crap. BTW, German government sponsored every new sold EV with 6000€ tax money. They stopped this "climate saving sponsoring bonus" (no joke, it was really called so) end of last year - and the sales of new EV's crashed.

Other news from the EU: seems the EU is by cancelling the law for new cars, which says from 2030 onwards are only EV's allowed to sell as new cars. The EU realized in reality the charging infrastructure for EV's is decades away from the imagination and they still can't tell from where to take the electric energy just with windturbines and solarpower. In germany they stopped nuclear plants - and was need to restart coal powerplants because there wasn't enough "green energy" aviable. Seems green deal is going to die.
Seems stupid workers was more clever than the studied genius from the universities.

Well is looks like the Soletrac tractor is dead. Too bad it probably would have served my needs at my next place.

Reasons for the downfall
Too expensive compared to the bigger tractor I previously bought
Small size is about the same as my 1981 18HP Tractor, not good on my hills
PTO doesn't work in reverse, so I don’t see how you can run a post hole digger.

Here is a video from a guy whose channel was promoting the tractor but he hasn’t from them for months.

The idea was good, implementation failed, and the market spoke.

I've never had a tractor that had a reverse on the PTO, and I've dug thousands of post holes. Not even sure why a reverse would be necessary. If my current tractor has a reverse on the PTO I don't know about it.

EV's, another government/hippy pipe dream dead. Maybe in another 100 years or so there could be a market for EV's. Maybe during that time someone will develop an inexpensive light weight battery that will have a 25+ year lifespan and a range of at least 500 miles per charge, in all weather conditions. And takes 5 minutes or less to charge.

I've never had a tractor that had a reverse on the PTO, and I've dug thousands of post holes. Not even sure why a reverse would be necessary. If my current tractor has a reverse on the PTO I don't know about it.
What he is talking about is that the PTO doesn't work on the Solectrac when the tractor is in reverse. That's because the engine itself is turning backwards. So the tractor just disconnects the PTO when the tractor is in reverse. You would have to have a reverse gear on the PTO to make it turn in the right direction when the tractor is in reverse.
About the only real problem I would have with this is when bush hogging some hard to get to spots where you have to back the bush hog up to those spots.

What he is talking about is that the PTO doesn't work on the Solectrac when the tractor is in reverse. That's because the engine itself is turning backwards. So the tractor just disconnects the PTO when the tractor is in reverse. You would have to have a reverse gear on the PTO to make it turn in the right direction when the tractor is in reverse.
About the only real problem I would have with this is when bush hogging some hard to get to spots where you have to back the bush hog up to those spots.
OK. That makes sense now. Thanks Doc.
I just looked it up online. It sounds pretty good. With a front loader it runs about $35,000 for a 25 hp tractor. I don't know how that compares to a similar sized diesel tractor now days. In 2018 I think I paid $36,000 for my 75 hp JD tractor.

I was thinking about BH and wrote PHD. I normally run my PHD in neutral.

I have a 1981 Yanmar 18HP and it’s still going. Just hard to find parts. Only has a 500lb lift capacity though. Odd thing with this tractor is I push the clutch in, the PTO disengages.

My Mahindra 25hp is like a Cadilac comparatively and has a Mitsubishi engine

I wouldnt have an electric car if they were giving them away!!!
I dunno, if I didn't have to pay for it, maybe I'd drive it around town till the battery died and then have it hauled off to the junkyard. Or maybe use it as a backup power source for the house. I sure as hell won't be taking it where I normally drive to. That would be suicide.

Latest posts

Back