Eggs and Mineral Oil

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpleman

God Like
Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody has tried/done this? Coat eggs in mineral oil and store in cool dark place to make them last up to a year! I know fresh eggs have a coating on them from the mom, but if cleaned it is no longer effective. But, you can cover them in mineral oil to basically preserve them. I first saw this done by my Aunts and Uncles when I was growing up but didn't now why they were dong it(or forgot why) then it was on the old Doomsday Prepper show. What I was mostly wondering, would this work on eggs you buy at Kroger and such? Internet has conflicting answers and was wondering if anybody here, or anybody known, that has tried it? If it wasn't for all the feral cats around here, I would get some chickens and not worry about it! LOL Guess I could buy a dozen and experiment myself! I just my try that and let you know, in 6-8 months!

SM, feral cats (housecats, not bobcats!) will not mess with adult chickens. Chicks, and younger ones, yes. But once they're mature, they're too big for cats to pursue.

Another option is freeze drying scrambled eggs. Delicious when rehydrated & cooked. But a freeze dryer is expensive.

SM, feral cats (housecats, not bobcats!) will not mess with adult chickens. Chicks, and younger ones, yes. But once they're mature, they're too big for cats to pursue.

Another option is freeze drying scrambled eggs. Delicious when rehydrated & cooked. But a freeze dryer is expensive.
I have had a couple big ferals go after crows and even chase a buzzard or two, but catching them is different from actually just chasing them! Of course the birds just fly away, I would think the chickens would peck them. I do remember my Aunt's and Uncle's having both and the cats would just walk around and pay them no attention. I figured they were either scared of them and just not interested. Our feral cats also have vary rarely, and I mean very rarely, brought us any dead animals! Mostly a mole once in a while. I can't remember the last bird, squirrel or anything big they brought us. Guess I feed them to good!
Yeah, I see no freeze dryer in my future, I did check out a food dehydrator at Wal Mart yesterday. Maybe doing some banana chips or apple slices in it, if I splurge the $40 for it?

We have a dehydrator and make not only our dried fruits in it but also our dried mushrooms and beef jerky. We also take the time to pickle our excess eggs or put them in ziplock baggies and freeze them. Never had any of them go bad in the freezer. If we go shopping at a local warehouse, we can get 20 eggs in a sort of milk carton, which are pasturised and last for half a year in the fridge but forever in the freezer. Great for making lots of scrambled eggs while camping and if lots of eggs are needed at bigger gatherings in the family.

By not washing the eggs I have kept them successfully for months on the counter. For longer storage mineral oil coated over them works. The key is to make them airtight and to not allow them to get too warm. To test to see if they are good to eat simply fill a glass with water and see if they sink. If they float, they are not good.

to get a year is pushing it by 3 months or so >>> by using any of the storage methods - you'll be picking thru the eggs singling out the spoiled toward the last ....

but - you can't use retail eggs that went thru the wash processing at the egg ranch - you need both the bloom and the outer shell protection to get storage into the multiple months tenure ...

already mentioned is having the steady cool temps - dark is also important ....

not mentioned enough is the need for FOOD GRADE mineral oil - there's industrial grade used for formulating ....

I have had a couple big ferals go after crows and even chase a buzzard or two, but catching them is different from actually just chasing them! Of course the birds just fly away, I would think the chickens would peck them. I do remember my Aunt's and Uncle's having both and the cats would just walk around and pay them no attention. I figured they were either scared of them and just not interested. Our feral cats also have vary rarely, and I mean very rarely, brought us any dead animals! Mostly a mole once in a while. I can't remember the last bird, squirrel or anything big they brought us. Guess I feed them to good!
Yeah, I see no freeze dryer in my future, I did check out a food dehydrator at Wal Mart yesterday. Maybe doing some banana chips or apple slices in it, if I splurge the $40 for it?
I scramble eggs and dehydrate to make a powder in the blender. I have worn out a couple over the years now. Granddaughters love to help with this.

You can also use a food grade silicone just as you would use on a meat grinder, we get it in a spray can from Bass Pro Shop. I just spray it on a sponge and roll the eggs around on it till evenly coated.

food grade silicone??? - I'd be reading that a whole lot better - there's "food grade silicone" that's FDA acceptable for countertop caulking purposes and limited/occasional food contact around the kitchen >>> says so in that tiny little print

reminds me of an incident pre-internet times >>> dairy farm family started going down one by one - organ failure - I think a family member died - investigation team went down the milk/dairy ops line of investigation all the way to the grain provider and killing off the herd - no contamination ...

they got smart and desperate - started a minute chem sampling of absolutely everything - found residue on the plate & silverware >>> finally found the source - bathtub caulk used in the dishwasher to seal some crack - microscopic chem contamination was killing the family ....

Latest posts

Back