Edible wild plants.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeager

Reaction score
I grew up foraging for edible mushrooms, puff balls, and wild plants.
Cattail blossoms (the brown top) the young stalk and the root, are all edible and quite good.
KNOW mushrooms (wild fungus well!) and only harvest the ones I;m 100% sure of.
Found another resources here: http://www.ediblewildplants.com/the-plants/

Books are invaluable.
http://astore.amazon.com/ediblewildplants
There are many; just google, shop, buy.
No one can remember everything so books are a tool at least until
one learns what can be consumed safely and what might kill you.
Poison fungus destroy the liver and you gonna die. Slow.

We have over 80 different types of psilocybin (psychedelic) mushrooms, not including the 220 deadly types we have in Washington.

I feel comfortable only hunting 30 different types of editable mushroom out of over a 1000 various edible types here in Washington

Some nice mushrooms here
http://www.mushroaming.com/Pacific_Northwest

Only one I hunt is chanterelles. Very distinctive, very delicious.
Only thing they can be confused with is Jack o' Lanterns, but when you know what to look for it's easy to distinguish.
fe5bb52ea5b6f419b8564204ab326e64.jpg

Only one I hunt is chanterelles. Very distinctive, very delicious.
Only thing they can be confused with is Jack o' Lanterns, but when you know what to look for it's easy to distinguish.
fe5bb52ea5b6f419b8564204ab326e64.jpg
Those are the ones I want to find.
We have morels in the spring and what we call snakeheads. I think there are about 3-4 different morel types. We just call them black, tan, yellow, by color, the first to come up are the little blackish ones. The end of the season are the larger yellows. I have no hesitation what so ever about the Spring mushrooms, but it would be nice to find the chanterelles in the fall.

Last edited:
edibles from the wild takes a literal lifetime to study. Also need to practice on a regular basis. Like knowing where there is an outcropping of milkweeds so ya know where to look in the spring for the shoots. I tend to get lazy and revert to my desire for gormet grub from the market. Is one of my bad habits. Was a cook/chef fir many years.

I live in Maine. Every year people die from eating Death Caps, aka Destroying Angels. Never could understand people who take psychedelics repeatedly. One magic mushroom is generaly enough to cure one of curiosity. lol
I don't see the appeal myself. What fun is it to see faces in the wallpaper and hear imps talking to you? I wonder how painful it is to die from Death Caps?

Worlds worst death. Takes a week to die. Like I said, not worth the risk. Even expert micoligists have made deadly mistakes. Death Caps look like Puffballs in early stages. Spores can be bought online. Is easy from what I hear. Just might try it myself one of these days. I recently bought 20 acres for 15k.

Latest posts

Back