Edible plants

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainingcatzanddogs

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I just got this catalog and so far it is pretty cool!
Looks like all are edible with some not so common varieties available.
Prices are meh...but, that is what happens when you offer strangeling type plants.

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_115152.jpg
    IMG_20221228_115152.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
A lot of diversity everywhere you just need to learn where to look and what to look for. There are a lot of plants that people would never think of eating that are edible.

I had a bad habit as a kid of trying anything with berries on it, so my mother just made blanket statements of "don't eat that, its poisonous!" I have since found that many of them are not and actually in small doses have medicinal properties. (like elderberries, passion fruit and beautyberries which grow like weeds, naturally out at BOL2)

I love my little strange-ling plants that most people would not recognize as a food source.

I have an order in for

Formosan Carpet Raspberry​

1672254355744.png

The Formosan Carpet Raspberry is one of the fastest spreading and toughest edible ground covers that we know of! In addition to its attractively textured evergreen foliage and low maintenance nature, it also produces little edible yellow-orange raspberries that are quite delicious. It is perfect planted cascading over a wall or along a pathway.

and, am going to give the

Breda Giant Medlar A try and see how it does here in zone 8.

1672254318574.png

A classic and productive variety from Holland, the Breda Giant Medlar bears abundant crops of large 1 1/2″-1 3/4″ diameter fruit. Sweet and fine textured, the spicy fruit of Breda Giant Medlar is great for snacks and preserves.

Unique and very uncommon in North America, Medlar has been popular in Europe since the Middle Ages. Forming an attractive, small tree, growing 8-10 ft. in height, Medlar’s long, dark green, tropical looking foliage is accented by large white flowers and striking chestnut brown fruit. The fruit ripens in mid to late October when it turns very dark brown and becomes soft. It is then ready to eat and has the taste and texture of spiced applesauce.

Uses​

Fruit cut in half showing brown 'bletting' which makes it edible
Bletting begins on one side of the fruit. Bletted flesh is brown; ripe but unbletted flesh is white.
The fruits are hard and acidic even when ripe, but become edible after being softened, "bletted", by frost, or naturally in storage if given sufficient time by reducing tannin content and fruit acids, increasing sugar content, and changes in the content of minerals.

Once softening begins, the skin rapidly takes on a wrinkled texture and turns dark brown, and the inside reduces to the consistency and flavour reminiscent of apple sauce. This process can confuse those new to medlars, as its softened fruit looks as if it has spoiled.

Product use[edit]​

Once bletted, the fruit can be eaten raw, sometimes with sugar and cream—it has been described as being an "acquired taste"[28]—or used to make medlar jelly. It is used in "medlar cheese", which is similar to lemon curd, made with the fruit pulp, eggs, and butter.[28]

Unripe fruits have a relatively high tannin content of about 2.6% and are therefore used for tanning. The tannin causes flocculation of proteins, enabling its use to reduce the turbidity of wine. In Saarland, Germany, a schnapps is made from the fruit of the medlar, which is refined with hawthorn.[30] "Medlar tea" usually is not made from M. germanica, but from wolfberry or goji, which is sometimes inaccurately translated as "red medlar."[31]

Mespilus germanica kernel oil was used for the first time to produce biodiesel, whereby linoleic acid and oleic acid with about 40% are main constituents of the extracted oil. The physical properties of the produced biodiesel allows an alternative for diesel fuels without any modification to the conventional engines. Leaves of medlar fruit were used to produce activated carbon to remove heavy metals like Ni2+ from aqueous solutions.

Phytosynthesized silver nanoparticles could be fabricated from M. germanica extract and show antibacterial, antibiofilm activities against multidrug resistance of Klebsiella pneumoniae clinical strains.

--------------------WSHTF, you will be very busy doing many things that you did not have to worry about before. Low maintenance gardening or nearly 100% foraging of indigenous plants will be a big help.

Disease and pest resistance, adaptation to the natural rainfall, temperature and ph of the native soils might be the difference between having enough of a crop to eat or not.

Organized, fenced-in traditional gardening will run the risk of drawing attention to your group as worthy of raiding. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Wild plants may help in the food sector but I hope you guys are not depending on that and wild game alone , Many are going to perish simply because they used their money to live a life of restaurant eating , vacations and paid for entertainment instead of sacrificing for a bug out location and the needed supplies for a real SHTF event . My clan eat wild harvested food from the woodlands but frankly a lot of that stuff deemed eatable would make a Billy goat puke . For most folks even if they could keep that stuff on their stomach , they wouldn't be able to find the quantity they needed for their dependents or themselves .

Last edited:
Wild plants may help in the food sector but I hope you guys are not depending on that and wild game alone , Many are going to perish simply because they used their money to live a life of restaurant eating , vacations and paid for entertainment instead of sacrificing for a bug out location and the needed supplies for a real SHTF event . My clan eat wild harvested food from the woodlands but frankly a lot of that stuff deemed eatable would make a Billy goat puke . For most folks even if they could keep that stuff on their stomach , they wouldn't be able to find the quantity they needed for their dependents or themselves .
There are a lot of wild foods that taste meh (beautyberry comes to mind)….but, all domesticated plants came from wild ones and even amongst wild plants of the same variety, the taste can vary immensely.

There are a lot of wild plants that are quite tasty. Prickly pear, berries, mushrooms, wild dill, pecans, walnuts, wild oats, rice, grapes and have made it onto the grocery store shelves. The problem is getting variety in your diet by foraging (and simultaneously enjoying what you are eating).

One of the things that isn’t discussed a lot is that when you eat the same things over and over, you tend to lose interest in eating. Presently, not wanting to eat, is considered an eating disorder. After SHTF, it might become a problem, especially with children.

There are a lot of wild foods that taste meh (beautyberry comes to mind)….but, all domesticated plants came from wild ones and even amongst wild plants of the same variety, the taste can vary immensely.

There are a lot of wild plants that are quite tasty. Prickly pear, berries, mushrooms, wild dill, pecans, walnuts, wild oats, rice, grapes and have made it onto the grocery store shelves. The problem is getting variety in your diet by foraging (and simultaneously enjoying what you are eating).

One of the things that isn’t discussed a lot is that when you eat the same things over and over, you tend to lose interest in eating. Presently, not wanting to eat, is considered an eating disorder. After SHTF, it might become a problem, especially with children.
well it might put an end to the over weight problem in the USA

well it might put an end to the over weight problem in the USA

It actually can be a big problem. Older people tend to stop eating much the older they get, the food just doesn't taste as good so they stop eating and become too skinny. Strange isn't it that one of the side effects of COVID, was that a lot of people dealt with no taste/ altered tastes and now the organizers of the Great Reset are harping on less consumption of food resources?

Last edited:
Yes, but a little goes a long way. I use wood sorrel more as an herb than as a vegetable. The wood sorrel growing here is the pink kind (Oxalis debilis) and is quite lovely when it blooms.

There are a number of edible leafy plants out in the yard, and I've used most of them in salads and such. My wife has actually bought dandelion greens at the Asian market...some exotic version...
She has dehydrated whole dandelion plants from the yard...leaves, stems, flowers, roots and all...to make dandelion tea. (We don't spray any chemicals on the yard)

I noticed that prickly lettuce is growing all over the place at BOL2. The wild lettuce we have here is a different kind...not very prickly.

Latest posts

Back