Eat a Squirrel

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feed my local squirrels, so in the future they may feed me. They are safe until I need to harvest them.

Just make sure they don't decide your attic would make a good nest. They chewed through a neighbor's soffit and then the plastic around his electric wires causing a short!

Oh my gosh, that sounds awful to me. 😆 Does it really taste good?
Absolutely. Give it a try sometime. Meat after SHTF is the least of my worries. In addition to beaver and coon I've eaten bobcat and muskrat too. They're all good eating. I don't care for porcupine though. In the old days porcupine was considered starvation food for the trappers and miners.

I feed my local squirrels, so in the future they may feed me. They are safe until I need to harvest them.
Last Fall I planted 20 acres of alfalfa for the same reason, to feed the deer and elk. Food on the hoof. During late summer we have the only water for quite a ways around here. We have a large spring fed pond and several water tanks for the cattle and wildlife.

In the mountains surrounding California's Central Valley we have a bit of a problem here. Mung hunters (came over here after the Vietnam War) hunt squirrels for food. They hunt a lot of them. In my area Grey Squirrels are somewhat rare. They have hunted them extensively on my mountain. But meanwhile, we are almost overrun with ground squirrels---nasty pests.

So, my question is how do we get the Mung to hunt and eat ground squirrels?

In the mountains surrounding California's Central Valley we have a bit of a problem here. Mung hunters (came over here after the Vietnam War) hunt squirrels for food. They hunt a lot of them. In my area Grey Squirrels are somewhat rare. They have hunted them extensively on my mountain. But meanwhile, we are almost overrun with ground squirrels---nasty pests.

So, my question is how do we get the Mung to hunt and eat ground squirrels?
Send them back to Vietnam. They wipe out huckleberrys, mushrooms and fish in some areas. I've heard that in some city neighborhoods, there isn't a cat, rabbit, squirrel or dog left running around.

Here we have both grey and fox squirrel. Last year I killed around 20. I skin and freeze. I batter and deep fry, make a mean squirrel pie and throw in my gumbo. My property has 9 huge oaks and 6 hickory so I always have a heavy squirrel population. If I did not kill they would wipe out both my strawberries and my blueberries. They eat the fruit green. I even have some pint jars of squirrel meat canned in chicken broth that I home canned to get out of the freezer. They are terribly destructive critters if the numbers are not kept down here.

There are nothing but corn, wheat, rye, oats and sunflower fields for 50 miles in all directions around me here. Wild acorns, walnuts, cashews and such are also here. The wild pigs and deer are in abundance. Pheasant, dove, pigeons are here also. I could hunt but the laws are terribly strict and fines are thousands of dollars if you get caught. Only after SHTF will I be doing any hunting or fishing.

Here we have both grey and fox squirrel. Last year I killed around 20. I skin and freeze. I batter and deep fry, make a mean squirrel pie and throw in my gumbo. My property has 9 huge oaks and 6 hickory so I always have a heavy squirrel population. If I did not kill they would wipe out both my strawberries and my blueberries. They eat the fruit green. I even have some pint jars of squirrel meat canned in chicken broth that I home canned to get out of the freezer. They are terribly destructive critters if the numbers are not kept down here.

They eat my peaches!!! Three bites and then leave them on the ground to rot. Ticks me off some.

Absolutely. Give it a try sometime. Meat after SHTF is the least of my worries. In addition to beaver and coon I've eaten bobcat and muskrat too. They're all good eating. I don't care for porcupine though. In the old days porcupine was considered starvation food for the trappers and miners.

Rabbit, squirrel and muskrat I’m fine with. Never ate raccoon. Won’t touch a nasty possum. We used to give them to a family that would eat them. Turtle soup is good too.

Latest posts

Back