Earthquake early alert system ready to expand in California

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
"The prototype developed by the U.S. Geological Survey and universities including Caltech and UC Berkeley has scored a series of successes, generating alerts in Pasadena before shaking arrived from the 4.4 Encino, 5.1 La Habra and 4.2 Westwood earthquakes earlier this year. San Francisco got eight seconds of warning before strong shaking arrived from the 6.0 Napa earthquake in August"

http://www.latimes.com/local/califo...uake-early-warning-20141123-story.html#page=1

that's great..especially if it works half as good to what their aiming for.. 1 minute aint much time in the way of earthquakes.but yet.it might save at least some life's...

im not sure to how good a 8 sec warning really is..on account a number of factors are in play here.the ground shaking. debris falling. ppl running for cover,(that is if they can at the time)..to anything that they have to go around.like vehicles.public trash cans.

First time I was in an earthquake it took longer than 8 seconds to realize what was happening. I was asleep, and when I woke up, I thought it was a tornado at first.

As soon as I realized that it was an earthquake I immediately ran out into the middle of the street.

The 8sec rule was set during active work week, they tested this in factories (Boeing) and businesses in downtown Seattle and was quite effective and was just as effective in LA and SF but like the 1 minute experiments it has a lot of variables including where one is in relation to the epic center and how shallow the eq is and ground density (according to my wife)

Great! sometimes our scientists actually develop something nice :)

Latest posts

Back