Downgrading lifestyle

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celeree

Reaction score
I'm the lady prepper and the hubby isn't so convinced. I do feel there are storms coming and it's best to be prepared. Mostly I am concerned about the short term, as we live in tornado alley, and the long term economic collapse. I'm doing what I can to hedge against the economic collapse by intentionally downgrading lifestyle. The whole 'collapsing now and avoid the rush' thing.

How I have gotten my hubby on board thus far is purely economic reasons. It was my idea to move out onto his inherited land and buy (we managed to find something for free to move) something outright to live in out there and I convinced him by running numbers and showing him how much we can save every month. This is purely a lifestyle downgrade, but so far the numbers make sense to him, so he's for it. We are able to work on this while still living elsewhere, which is a blessing.

I've been slowly over the years reducing all the wonderful things that make us females "pretty". Female downgrading, if you will. I let my hair go natural, so no need for hairdryers or straighteners, and come to find out, my hair is loving that. And, my face is loving the no makeup, I get complemented all the time on how I look way younger than upper 40's. This is mostly in part to reduce the consumption of hair and face stuff, plus reducing electrical needs, and lowing outgoing expenses. No salons for me, thank you. Seems like lot of emphasis has been placed, at least it feels like it to me, to always do all those things just to look pleasing to the male species, although the hubby can't keep his hands off me. All that junk, what a waste of resources. I also don't feel the need to dress in the latest trends either and mostly shop from thriftstores. I feel that is part of downgrading lifestyle, the 'girly' part, and I'm all for that. I can do that.

I feel the timing is right to adopt more of an off-grid bug in place for our location, since we are working with an almost clean slate as the house was just moved there and isn't grid tied, yet. This part of getting the hubby on board for it will be tough. He is used to his electricity supplied lifestyle. He needs a man downgrade, lol.

Even our vehicles are downgraded, older, used and most everything he can work on. Financially it just makes sense. We are good with old used vehicles.

Around the home, though, I am in a crossroads at how to convince the hubby on thinking more of living off-grid. So far his plans are whole house electric, okay, fine and all, until there is no electric. So far what has worked for him is showing him the numbers. Showing him numbers for a solar install or wind turbine would have him balking at the idea. I'll keep trying. We have yet to get a figure from the electric company on how much it will cost to tie into the grid, so it may be a moot point. (I may still get my solar yet!) I still can't convince him yet to consider a humanure compost toilets. My future garden would love that. I'll keep trying. And trying. And trying. But man, talk about adding guns and he's on board, haha!!

I know I'm just rambling a bit here. Sorry for that. Patience for moving out there is killing me, haha. :rolleyes: Just seems like the less you need, the less you'd have to prep for. Make sense? (I must need more coffee) Who else has downgraded??

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :cool:

Your post just made me laugh. . . In a good way. :) It took me a while to get hunny on board with the prepping too. Mainly I got him started since we live in a hurricane prone area so very similar to your tornado alley. I garden so canned up the excess then started dehydrating. He could see the money saved by me growing our veggies. Instead of buying at the grocery stores, I go to the feed store and buy seeds in bulk. It is so much cheaper than buying those little packets you typically find at the stores. If you have enough land, even keeping a pig or 2 to fatten up could be a cheaper alternative for protien. You would need to do your reseach, but there are grocery stores that will save old produce for you. Just leave them a plastic 25 gallon garbage pail with lid and pick up when you go into town. Chickens and rabbits are another alternative for meat on a small homestead.
I really wish I could talk my hunny into the wind turbine and solar panels, but he is not there yet. Instead he put in a house generator and a 500 gallon propane tank so good luck with convincing yours.
I used to have to be the "girly, girl" when I worked retail. . . I was very happy going all natural (except for my hair dye) and never looked back after I quit that job. Hunny always said I didn't need makeup, so he got his wish. I always like to see where I can save money. It's almost like a challenge. Make your own laundry detergent and use a piece of old flannel soaked in vinegar tossed in the dryer as a fabric softener or add a couple T to the rinse water if you do go without power. There is all kinds of little things.

Check into your location and if you generate more electric than you can use, some electric companies will buy that from you. I've only read about it and it's not all locations. I know our electric company does no t, but if your area does & your hunny likes numbers, it may just be another selling point in your favor.

Be conservative with you money on items like makeup and so forth...but don't go overboard.

It's important and psycologically healthy to indulge once in a while.

Life should be savored and enjoyed like a fine meal or an expensive scotch...life should not just be something to endure.

Get a small, partime job (something fun) on the side, eve if it's a small home business. This will bring in enough money for a few vices and make you feel like less of a spendthrift over makeup and/or fun clothes.

Be conservative with you money on items like makeup and so forth...but don't go overboard.

It's important and psycologically healthy to indulge once in a while.

Life should be savored and enjoyed like a fine meal or an expensive scotch...life should not just be something to endure.

Get a small, partime job (something fun) on the side, eve if it's a small home business. This will bring in enough money for a few vices and make you feel like less of a spendthrift over makeup and/or fun clothes.
I agree wholeheartedly that it’s good to splurge some. I’m dieting but ‘cheat’ often. I love good food, so why would I stop enjoying it? I’m still loosing overall, just at a slower rate than going on a crash course. With food or finances the idea is to keep in mind your overall goal and continue working towards it, but don’t forget to enjoy life as it’s a one time only deal.

All of these 'downgrades' sure sound like the opposite. Eliminating makeup saves not just money but time and looks great. Gardening brings flavor you can't buy. I tell everyone to cut the cable/satellite, it's a massive time and money waste. Simplifying is not a downgrade. I consider all of these things upgrades.

One thing I don't understand, Before you moved the home out there, what were your plans for power? I would think that would be critical. And I'm sorry, but a good old reliable toilet is key for any man. A nice septic system is best, but even burying a tote as a 'septic tank' and a couple of lines can work (depending on soil). Of course your county will want it 'their way', but you'll have to decide how you deal with that. I always tell people to obey the laws.

If you go off-grid, I would caution against wind power. They tend to need maintenance, they are loud (vibrations), and they just don't produce much. I'm much more in favor of solar. But you need to use power frugally, that is a very hard transition for many people.

Welcome to the forum.

My wife was not on board with my prepping until she read the book One Second After. After completing that book she stated we didn't have enough food in storage. I think that might have been the sexiest thing she ever said. :) OK... not really but that was the defining moment when I went from a baby prepper to a full blown, survive any long term event prepper.

For what is worth, I think the most beautiful women are those that are natural. Took many many years but my wife of 39 years finally stopped the dyes and let her hair go the most beautiful silver/grey.

Yeah, not downgrades. I moved to the BOL, and it's just simpler. I wake up and have a coffee and watch the sunrise over the hills. No traffic noise. Deer in the field. It's much nicer.

What did I give up? Starbucks? Pffft. Who cares.

No TV, no cable, no internet... It's nice.

Phone has internet, obviously.

I have internet but no cable. I use OAT (Over The Air) antenna for what small amount we watch TV. I do need to look into cell Internet using my computer. I am not going to be able to type on a phone keyboard. I make enough typo's with a regular key board. Save where you feel comfortable and progress at a rate that works for you. Life is not solely prepping.

My phone functions as a wireless router, anywhere I have phone service. So I can connect a laptop to it and have internet and a big keyboard. I just use the Xbox right now, I probably won't get another laptop.

It's a great option for folks who move a lot. No hassle setting up new service, same provider across the country.

We get ota tv here, lots of old westerns lol.

Mine does too, but I haven't figured out where to plug in my desktop. ;)

But seriously, I've thought about getting some sort of reverse access point so that I could use the phone internet for the whole house when the ISP goes down. Just using the phone as the router doesn't cut it. I have a much more complicated home network than most people (more complicated than most small businesses in fact), with much higher internal bandwidth demands.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies!! :)

Maybe simplifying was a better term. I like that. Although, gardening and having some animals might not be all simple, especially if you are starting with a black thumb, like me (but I'm determined to turn in green! :D)

We did plan on being grid tied when we moved this house out there, but have yet to get a dollar figure from the power company. If it's a pretty high figure, we will likely go small scale solar/more propane appliances until funds allow for more solar. Reducing the power needs would help that. Is it bad that I kind of hope they come back with a large figure? hehe

Yeah, it is lack of money for us, as well. Doing this to reduce amount of outgoing expenses, as well.

One Second After, will have to put that on my list of reads. :) Time to go research some more, bwahahaha...

Again, thanks for the replies. :D

Does anyone besides me realize just how VERY much toilet paper has gone up in price. Its outrageously high. BUT , listen to this...you can buy a large package of regular (all most the cheapest brand) of napkins...I just bought a package of 500 napkins for $3.79 at Food Lion, here in central Virginia. Now when you open up just one (1) napkin all the way open, lightly wad it like it was your toilet paper, then it is just like using your normal amount of toilet tissue to wipe with if you only pee. Check for yourselves the difference in prices and try the napkin idea. At the very least, it stores in a lot less space for SHTF.

And they are making the cardboard core bigger, as well. I could rant a while on the shenanigan's of the toilet paper companies, haha. I've been watching them since 2005, my new hubby was clueless about the differences in them until I enlightened him.

Thanks for the napkin thoughts, might be something good to stock up on. :)

I'm the lady prepper and the hubby isn't so convinced. I do feel there are storms coming and it's best to be prepared. Mostly I am concerned about the short term, as we live in tornado alley, and the long term economic collapse. I'm doing what I can to hedge against the economic collapse by intentionally downgrading lifestyle. The whole 'collapsing now and avoid the rush' thing.

How I have gotten my hubby on board thus far is purely economic reasons. It was my idea to move out onto his inherited land and buy (we managed to find something for free to move) something outright to live in out there and I convinced him by running numbers and showing him how much we can save every month. This is purely a lifestyle downgrade, but so far the numbers make sense to him, so he's for it. We are able to work on this while still living elsewhere, which is a blessing.

I've been slowly over the years reducing all the wonderful things that make us females "pretty". Female downgrading, if you will. I let my hair go natural, so no need for hairdryers or straighteners, and come to find out, my hair is loving that. And, my face is loving the no makeup, I get complemented all the time on how I look way younger than upper 40's. This is mostly in part to reduce the consumption of hair and face stuff, plus reducing electrical needs, and lowing outgoing expenses. No salons for me, thank you. Seems like lot of emphasis has been placed, at least it feels like it to me, to always do all those things just to look pleasing to the male species, although the hubby can't keep his hands off me. All that junk, what a waste of resources. I also don't feel the need to dress in the latest trends either and mostly shop from thriftstores. I feel that is part of downgrading lifestyle, the 'girly' part, and I'm all for that. I can do that.

I feel the timing is right to adopt more of an off-grid bug in place for our location, since we are working with an almost clean slate as the house was just moved there and isn't grid tied, yet. This part of getting the hubby on board for it will be tough. He is used to his electricity supplied lifestyle. He needs a man downgrade, lol.

Even our vehicles are downgraded, older, used and most everything he can work on. Financially it just makes sense. We are good with old used vehicles.

Around the home, though, I am in a crossroads at how to convince the hubby on thinking more of living off-grid. So far his plans are whole house electric, okay, fine and all, until there is no electric. So far what has worked for him is showing him the numbers. Showing him numbers for a solar install or wind turbine would have him balking at the idea. I'll keep trying. We have yet to get a figure from the electric company on how much it will cost to tie into the grid, so it may be a moot point. (I may still get my solar yet!) I still can't convince him yet to consider a humanure compost toilets. My future garden would love that. I'll keep trying. And trying. And trying. But man, talk about adding guns and he's on board, haha!!

I know I'm just rambling a bit here. Sorry for that. Patience for moving out there is killing me, haha. :rolleyes: Just seems like the less you need, the less you'd have to prep for. Make sense? (I must need more coffee) Who else has downgraded??

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :cool:
It is truly surprising that when you take a good look at things how much you don't actually need. A lot of the stuff is what we want, not need. My grandparents lived well with very little. They just didn't see the need to buy stuff. When I go to WM, ( wish I never had to) and I see all the plastic junk and how they target people to buy it , makes me ill. I don't use fabric softner and for years thought I had to. I rarely use hair conditioner. I get most clothing at resale shops. I was just thinking this morning I would like a new pair of brown shoes, then I looked in the closet and said to myself. Can I get by? The answer is yes. I have plenty of shoes.
so, I'm not buying shoes just because I want them.

Thanks all for the replies!! :)

Maybe simplifying was a better term. I like that. Although, gardening and having some animals might not be all simple, especially if you are starting with a black thumb, like me (but I'm determined to turn in green! :D)

We did plan on being grid tied when we moved this house out there, but have yet to get a dollar figure from the power company. If it's a pretty high figure, we will likely go small scale solar/more propane appliances until funds allow for more solar. Reducing the power needs would help that. Is it bad that I kind of hope they come back with a large figure? hehe

Yeah, it is lack of money for us, as well. Doing this to reduce amount of outgoing expenses, as well.

One Second After, will have to put that on my list of reads. :) Time to go research some more, bwahahaha...

Again, thanks for the replies. :D
https://bemorewithless.com/the-more-of-less/
The above link gives some great books for the minimalist lifestyle. I remember reading Living More with Less and thought that was for me.

Latest posts

Back